Need advice for buying first AVR - Denon X2700H or Marantz SR5015 or Marantz SR6014

bansalp

Hi. I am trying to put together my first home theatre and am a little confused about what AVR to buy.

The setup will be in my living room which is roughly 16 feet x 14 feet. 16 feet concrete wall behind the Tv (extends further to a passageway). 16 feet concrete wall opposite the Tv. The back of the sofa is touching the wall. Right side of the room side is roughly 2 feet of pillars and 12 feet of glass window/door. The fourth side is 10 feet concrete wall and four feet open passageway. the open passageway will begin about 2-4 feet to the left of FL speaker. I have a 55" Samsung Crystal 4K Tv from 2020. No plans to upgrade the TV and no plans to add a projector as of now. I am mostly just looking to upgrade to better sound. I currently have a Samsung 5.1.2 soundbar.

I don't yet have any speakers but a friend has offered to give me a pair of KEF Q350's that he doesn't use anymore. I will initially run a 2.0 setup and starting looking for another Q350 or a Q650C for the centre and gradually upgrade to 5.x or 5.x.2. I'm not sure if i will be getting a sub or not. If the speakers provide enough bass then i might skip the sub.

I will be ordering the AVR from Ireland and have narrowed it down to these 3 based on my budget. The X2700H is 56000 brand new, SR6015 is 64000 brand new and SR5015 is 72000 open box.

Based on my research, SR5015 is the Marantz version of X2700H and the only major difference is that Marantz has pre-outs. Is that correct? if so, is it worth spending the extra 16000.
The SR6014 is supposedly a better amp has a better version of room correction but does not have HDMI 2.1. If i don't do any gaming, do i need HDMI 2.1?
Another option is Marantz NR1711 for about 60000 and i really like the small size but i am not sure if it will be enough power. On most forums, the majority opinion is to go for a full size AVR.

I'm leaning towards the SR6014 as it seems the best value to me. Will this be the best option out of these three?

All 3 come with standard warranty from an authorised offline dealer in Ireland. In case something goes wrong, it will be possible for me send it back for a warranty claim.
In India, i am getting a Denon 550BT for about 60000 and the Denon S760 for about 75-80000. The X1700H is about 100000 and out of my budget. Considering the savings, should i get it from overseas or is it better to have local warranty?

Hi. I am trying to put together my first home theatre and am a little confused about what AVR to buy.

The setup will be in my living room which is roughly 16 feet x 14 feet. 16 feet concrete wall behind the Tv (extends further to a passageway). 16 feet concrete wall opposite the Tv. The back of the sofa is touching the wall. Right side of the room side is roughly 2 feet of pillars and 12 feet of glass window/door. The fourth side is 10 feet concrete wall and four feet open passageway. the open passageway will begin about 2-4 feet to the left of FL speaker. I have a 55" Samsung Crystal 4K Tv from 2020. No plans to upgrade the TV and no plans to add a projector as of now. I am mostly just looking to upgrade to better sound. I currently have a Samsung 5.1.2 soundbar.

I don't yet have any speakers but a friend has offered to give me a pair of KEF Q350's that he doesn't use anymore. I will initially run a 2.0 setup and starting looking for another Q350 or a Q650C for the centre and gradually upgrade to 5.x or 5.x.2. I'm not sure if i will be getting a sub or not. If the speakers provide enough bass then i might skip the sub.

I will be ordering the AVR from Ireland and have narrowed it down to these 3 based on my budget. The X2700H is 56000 brand new, SR6015 is 64000 brand new and SR5015 is 72000 open box.

Based on my research, SR5015 is the Marantz version of X2700H and the only major difference is that Marantz has pre-outs. Is that correct? if so, is it worth spending the extra 16000.
The SR6014 is supposedly a better amp has a better version of room correction but does not have HDMI 2.1. If i don't do any gaming, do i need HDMI 2.1?
Another option is Marantz NR1711 for about 60000 and i really like the small size but i am not sure if it will be enough power. On most forums, the majority opinion is to go for a full size AVR.

I'm leaning towards the SR6014 as it seems the best value to me. Will this be the best option out of these three?

All 3 come with standard warranty from an authorised offline dealer in Ireland. In case something goes wrong, it will be possible for me send it back for a warranty claim.
In India, i am getting a Denon 550BT for about 60000 and the Denon S760 for about 75-80000. The X1700H is about 100000 and out of my budget. Considering the savings, should i get it from overseas or is it better to have local warranty?
I got S760H from USA, but it's 7.2 channel and it requires a step down transformer to be used in India, so check if the Ireland version are compatible with India electrical voltage or else you will have to invest in transformer, it is advisable to purchase overseas products only if the savings are in the range of 35 to 40 % cheaper than Indian price.
As you mentioned warranty is not an issue to you, it is must that you decide first whether transformer will be required, if yes then search for the compatible transformer and it's availability in india.
I am not sure that just 2.0 setup will give satisfaction and that to without subwoofer,
For the above setup investing in an 7.2 channel AVR, just doesn't make sense.
I hope this helps you make a better decision.

I got S760H from USA, but it's 7.2 channel and it requires a step down transformer to be used in India, so check if the Ireland version are compatible with India electrical voltage or else you will have to invest in transformer, it is advisable to purchase overseas products only if the savings are in the range of 35 to 40 % cheaper than Indian price.
As you mentioned warranty is not an issue to you, it is must that you decide first whether transformer will be required, if yes then search for the compatible transformer and it's availability in india.
I am not sure that just 2.0 setup will give satisfaction and that to without subwoofer,
For the above setup investing in an 7.2 channel AVR, just doesn't make sense.
I hope this helps you make a better decision.
Ireland is on the same voltage range as India and I won’t need a transformer.
If I compare the prices, I think I’m getting these for roughly 40-50% less than the Indian prices.
I’ll start with 2.0 and then keep buying more speakers whenever I have enough money saved and upgrade to 5.x or 5.x.2.
As much as I’d like a sub, my landlord lives right below me and I don’t think he’d be very happy with that. I mostly watch movies late at night. That said, if I feel the bass isn’t good enough, I’d probably buy a subwoofer before buying the surrounds.
If I was to buy one of the three AVR’s, which one would you recommend?

Last edited:

Hi ,
I suggest to go with 6014 its the best amp & have all latest features which is required for HT set which u can njy for another 10years provide if u dont go for itch of more & still need in search of new).This AVR have enough power to drive any speakers & good for HT & music .
I see u r getting at very best deal n grab as soon as u can..but look at the 220V or 120v power that u need to chk & buy..

Ireland is on the same voltage range as India and I won’t need a transformer.
If I compare the prices, I think I’m getting these for roughly 40-50% less than the Indian prices.
I’ll start with 2.0 and then keep buying more speakers whenever I have enough money saved and upgrade to 5.x or 5.x.2.
As much as I’d like a sub, my landlord lives right below me and I don’t think he’d be very happy with that. I mostly watch movies late at night. That said, if I feel the bass isn’t good enough, I’d probably buy a subwoofer before buying the surrounds.
If I was to buy one of the three AVR’s, which one would you recommend?
At 50% it's worth buying one from Ireland, Regarding AVR , it depends on what power capacity per channel is your requirement, which inturn depends on the size of your room were you're to install your setup.
I am being using Denon, and the experience is satisfactory, but the perfect way to plan a setup is by deciding on per channel output of AVR and the necessary compatible speakers setup, once you design a perfect wattage setup, you won't go wrong.
For a room size of 150 to 200 sqft, X2700H is good enough.
I hope this helps,
Regards

Hi ,
I suggest to go with 6014 its the best amp & have all latest features which is required for HT set which u can njy for another 10years provide if u dont go for itch of more & still need in search of new).This AVR have enough power to drive any speakers & good for HT & music .
I see u r getting at very best deal n grab as soon as u can..but look at the 220V or 120v power that u need to chk & buy..
This is the one I’m leaning towards. My brother is going to the store on Sunday to pick up whichever one I decide on. I thought since I have a couple days, I’d ask the folks here for advice.
Ireland is on the same voltage as India so no need for a transformer.

At 50% it's worth buying one from Ireland, Regarding AVR , it depends on what power capacity per channel is your requirement, which inturn depends on the size of your room were you're to install your setup.
I am being using Denon, and the experience is satisfactory, but the perfect way to plan a setup is by deciding on per channel output of AVR and the necessary compatible speakers setup, once you design a perfect wattage setup, you won't go wrong.
For a room size of 150 to 200 sqft, X2700H is good enough.
I hope this helps,
Regards
I’m not really sure what my power requirements will be but I’m sure power wise I’ll be okay with any of the three. It’s just that SR6014 is just marginally more expensive than X2700H so I wanted to be sure if it’s worth spending the extra 8000 for it.
I’ll be getting Kef Q350 LCR or Kef Q350 LR and Q650C.
Thanks for all your input. I think I’m gonna go with SR6014. Better suited for future upgrades. I don’t really need the HDMI 2.1 port which seems to be the only benefit of the X2700H over SR6014.

You will need a sub for this room, and a big one, especially with passageway, but that is for another day.
Why is 5015 open box costlier than fresh 6015?!

Am assuming you meant sr6014, if so, please go ahead. One last thing, ask your sources if they have a denon 3700 and if so, check price...
There are many happy owners of both denon and marantz here, and many who have faced problems.
I personally, at these prices, will not worry about warranty.

Even at india prices, with warranty, dealers hardly are helpful unless you get the parent company involved. So, if you are okay with blind buy without warranty, nothing wrong barring a major disaster, which is highly unlikely.
Even then, you can ship it via friends to ireland if anything goes wrong.

All the best

You will need a sub for this room, and a big one, especially with passageway, but that is for another day.

Why is 5015 open box costlier than fresh 6015?!

Am assuming you meant sr6014, if so, please go ahead. One last thing, ask your sources if they have a denon 3700 and if so, check price...

There are many happy owners of both denon and marantz here, and many who have faced problems.
I personally, at these prices, will not worry about warranty.

Even at india prices, with warranty, dealers hardly are helpful unless you get the parent company involved. So, if you are okay with blind buy without warranty, nothing wrong barring a major disaster, which is highly unlikely.
Even then, you can ship it via friends to ireland if anything goes wrong.

All the best
Yeah, I meant SR6014 for 64000. Miswrote as 6015 in one place. SR6015 is 104000 new which is beyond my budget.

I did enquire about the X3700H. They are saying that it is discontinued and will not be back in stock. I also spoke with Richer Sounds and they said the same thing about X3700H.

Thanks for your input. I think I’ll go for the SR6014.

Yeah, I meant SR6014 for 64000. Miswrote as 6015 in one place. SR6015 is 104000 new which is beyond my budget.

I did enquire about the X3700H. They are saying that it is discontinued and will not be back in stock. I also spoke with Richer Sounds and they said the same thing about X3700H.

Thanks for your input. I think I’ll go for the SR6014.
Go for it, man. Worth it.
If at all you wanna do one final enquiry about 3700, hit up @Gasp3621 on avforum.

He was very helpful during my search.

Go for Marantz SR6015. Or is it SR6014? Warranty is just one year in India and so you would anyways have no warranty from the second year. So buy it from Ireland. But dont pair up a 2.0 initially. You should ideally look for 3.1 and slowly graduate to 9.2 - according to some in this forum and home theater installers.

Go for Marantz SR6015. Or is it SR6014? Warranty is just one year in India and so you would anyways have no warranty from the second year. So buy it from Ireland. But dont pair up a 2.0 initially. You should ideally look for 3.1 and slowly graduate to 9.2 - according to some in this forum and home theater installers.
It’s the SR6014. I miswrote as 6015. Have already placed the order. My brother is gonna pick it up today. I asked for a discount and got it for 60k.

I don’t have any more money to immediately buy a sub. I will upgrade to 3.0 whenever I can get my hands on a single Q350 for the centre. Once I have enough money saved, I’ll get a sub if I feel the need for one.

Marantz 6015 post VAT refund is below 70K INR if someone can get from UK. Not sure how customs will play out. Since 50K seems to be customs limit...if they ask us..can we tell them to tax us customs over and above 50K on UK price and not Indian local cost?

How do we interpret this?
Customs duty is leviable @ 35% + Social Welfare Surcharge of 3.5%, i.e. the effective rate works out to be 38.5% on the value of dutiable goods that is in excess of the Duty Free Allowance.

Marantz 6015 post VAT refund is below 70K INR if someone can get from UK. Not sure how customs will play out. Since 50K seems to be customs limit...if they ask us..can we tell them to tax us customs over and above 50K on UK price and not Indian local cost?

How do we interpret this?
Customs duty is leviable @ 35% + Social Welfare Surcharge of 3.5%, i.e. the effective rate works out to be 38.5% on the value of dutiable goods that is in excess of the Duty Free Allowance.

I think after brexit VAT refund policy is scrapped.

you are right. I thought only the retailers giving refund was scrapped but seems like getting it in checked in baggage and claiming at airport is also scrapped. They do have plans to bring it back it seems..lets hope it happens soon.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back