Need Advice: Headphones 6k-12k

I finally decided upon Denon AH-D2000 after going through lots of websites and forums including this one. The shop in Mumbai is selling for 15k Max bargain price, but I also got an offer for 12k second hand with 60hrs used and 5 months old (claimed by him). This is 20% less than shop price for brand new one with a warranty on top. So I decided I will buy 2nd hand for 11k (26% lower) or else get the new one for 15k. What do you think guys?

I finally decided upon Denon AH-D2000 after going through lots of websites and forums including this one. The shop in Mumbai is selling for 15k Max bargain price, but I also got an offer for 12k second hand with 60hrs used and 5 months old (claimed by him). This is 20% less than shop price for brand new one with a warranty on top. So I decided I will buy 2nd hand for 11k (26% lower) or else get the new one for 15k. What do you think guys?

second hand for sure, as long as you trust the guy....

buy brand new unless you are getting SH for 50% off mrp. Try to negotiate with the brand new dealer too.

regards

buy brand new unless you are getting SH for 50% off mrp. Try to negotiate with the brand new dealer too.

regards

atleast 40% and yes why not look into grados - i forget the model but they have one that is priced just about around 17-18k - if you are spending so much money why not 2 k more - only problem is that they were open -so music leaks out and might irritate others.

BTW i love midrange and warmth - denon lacks that though its very musical.

atleast 40% and yes why not look into grados - i forget the model but they have one that is priced just about around 17-18k - if you are spending so much money why not 2 k more - only problem is that they were open -so music leaks out and might irritate others.

BTW i love midrange and warmth - denon lacks that though its very musical.

How to get in India?

folks,
i am the guy adithya is referring to :) Not sure wether it will be appropriate for me to contribute in this discussion. but would like to add something here.
I am into this as a hobby and so are many who are part of this forum. Many of us would like to buy and try and sell and upgrade both for an experience and also because we do not get to listen all the things here in india and in your city. but the a very big problem i find here is that most of the people whenever want to buy second hand they just try to get it as cheap as they can. I would say give importance to the condition of the piece , the person selling and history of the piece. In US, just check head-fi.org, people sell a brand new slightly used product sometimes for the same price as new, mostly 10% off and never less than 80%. I see that people say if u are buying second hand get it for 50%. I find this very unfair to the seller and also, to a great extent leaving people pursuing this hobby even harder. My thought process of this. Please don't be offended.
Adithya, I am not blaming you for anything man :) My price is still 12k as anything below I will be happy to keep it for myself.

Apart from all this, I also think Grado will make poor gaming headphone as they sound different from most of the headphones in that the sound comes exactly in the centre of the head, without a good soundstage, which means it will be very little 3D and hence you might not be able to exactly point where the sound comes from.

Last edited:
ok gopi - just for you I can change my recommendation :D . it is for the buyer to decide though. I have even seen in the US people selling brand new stuff at 50% off MRP. And used at 50% of buying price. But what you say is also correct. History of the person is also important.

regards

folks,
i am the guy adithya is referring to :) Not sure wether it will be appropriate for me to contribute in this discussion. but would like to add something here.
I am into this as a hobby and so are many who are part of this forum. Many of us would like to buy and try and sell and upgrade both for an experience and also because we do not get to listen all the things here in india and in your city. but the a very big problem i find here is that most of the people whenever want to buy second hand they just try to get it as cheap as they can. I would say give importance to the condition of the piece , the person selling and history of the piece. In US, just check head-fi.org, people sell a brand new slightly used product sometimes for the same price as new, mostly 10% off and never less than 80%. I see that people say if u are buying second hand get it for 50%. I find this very unfair to the seller and also, to a great extent leaving people pursuing this hobby even harder. My thought process of this. Please don't be offended.
Adithya, I am not blaming you for anything man :) My price is still 12k as anything below I will be happy to keep it for myself.

Apart from all this, I also think Grado will make poor gaming headphone as they sound different from most of the headphones in that the sound comes exactly in the centre of the head, without a good soundstage, which means it will be very little 3D and hence you might not be able to exactly point where the sound comes from.

thanx anm, I hope I wasn't harsh there.
I know that dealers or even people selling at 50% MRP. If somebody can afford to do it, then well and great. But I think if we can encourage this type of selling in this forum then more people will be able to take this hobby.

@gopi
I am asking people in various forums. I forgot you were member here.
Since you don't want to sell it for 11k, I have no choice but to buy brand new one with Indian warranty for 15k. 80% cost for 2nd hand without warranty is too much for me, especially if it develops problems even though you says its unlikely. For me 1k means a lot as I am still a student and most expensive headphones I ever bought is Rs 120 from Lamington Road 6 years ago. Its resale value would also be low. In addition to that, none of my friends, or people from other forum or this, think even 11k is fair pricing. By Sunday, tell me incase you change your mind, next week I will be placing an order for the new ones from authorized distributer, as soon as I get my scholarship.

@all
Is there a way I can build battery operated portable amps or usb power amp using TI's Burr Brown Headphone Amp or some other similiar TI stuff. This is used in Asus Xonar's Essence STX soundcard with built in headphone amp. Also is this enough for future headphones in case I purchase stuff like HD650 etc etc. If its possible, I will try making them in free time and purchase a much better headphone after stockpiling money. I want to know if there is a DIY for non electronic engineers. I am CSE.

One more thing, I don't waste my time on counterstrike. I am not interested in "Gaming" headphones which amplify gunshots, grenades and footsteps for 3d positioning assistance, but suck in single player, immersive games with great audio ambiance, music and awesome sound detail. Although, HD280 Pro had one of the ambiance sound etc and awesome detail in movies like matrix, it sucked at fast paced games like UT2004, UT3 and crysis and was avg in immersive singleplayer (worse than my 4k T6060 5.1 speakers). I have GTX280 and am planning to get dx11 by jan if they are worth it and I top and get scholarship. ( I am working on GPU computing project in my final year, dx11 cards have mimd).

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back