need advice on Headphone Amp/headphone from US

ShutterX

hi all,

i am in a bit of a fix. i have and Audio Technica M50. i wanted to get a decent Amp/Dac to use with my PC. also, i was planning to get a new pair of headphones along with a dedicated desktop headphone amp/dac combo.

my friend is in US and will be returning shortly and i wanted to get some stuff thru him. can anyone suggest a which products i could get?

this is what i have confirmed with him till now.

1) Fiio E7 headphone amp/dac
2) senheiser HD598 or Beyerdynamic DT 880 600 ohm
3) no idea of which desktop amp to get.

hope you guys can help.

thanks and cheers

ShutterX

add Nuforce UDAC 2 to the list .. i recently ordered the HP version for $99 from amazon. use it with my laptop , happy with the outcome :)

ShutterX,

I think Head-Fi.org - Headphone forums and reviews for audiophiles would be a better place to research possible combos. Also, I do not think moving to the 598 from an M50 would necessarily be an upgrade. I would probably get a decent DAC/Amp combo for the M50 first. It would be helpful to list options if you state your budget. All the same, I'd probably go for this one:

Audio-GD NFB-12

ShutterX,

Also, I do not think moving to the 598 from an M50 would necessarily be an upgrade. I would probably get a decent DAC/Amp combo for the M50 first.

[/URL]

actually, i was considering this as a second pair of headphones. preferably open back for the airy feel. for watching movies and tv series on my PC basically.

the M50 is great for travelling or monitoring use because of its nice isolation but you cant really sit in one place and watch a movie for 3 hours with em...

hence the interest in the 598.

i have ordered a Fiio e7 for my DAC/amp needs. has anyone used it? it does drive upto 300 ohms so i think its a good idea for light usage. i want the desktop setup only because i might upgrade to a DT880 600ohm later on...

cheers...

i have ordered a Fiio e7 for my DAC/amp needs. has anyone used it?

I wont be able to give an in-depth analysis/review of the product but here are my brief observations:

I bought a Fiio E7 along with a Cowon J3 and Brainwavz M2.

It is built really well and will weather normal wear and tear pretty well.
Battery life is satisfactory.
Easy to setup/use.
Looks decent too.

Performance: I find it to be bass-heavy, it can do better in instrument separation and it lacks finesse in SQ.In fact, I love the SQ of Cowon J3 (it totally rocks, I wish to have similar SQ from my 2ch setup in the near future).

Having said that its bass-heavy can be well because my IEM's are natively generous in bass dept. (not cheap and lousy but deep and authoritative) and clubbing them with E7 was definitely not a wise thing.

Hope it helps.

thanks folks. visiting HFV after ages. i have decided to stay with M50 and E7. i like the E7 since the M50 is not very heavy on bass. that being said, the M50 has slightly recessed mids which is actually just a power need. pairing this up with the E7 and the mids sound completely different now. much better.

all in all, iam happy with my purchase. and iam considering shifting to Sonys new XBA series of IEMs for travel use and M50 for casual weekend listening.

cheers

Which XBA do you plan to get? And how are you buying it?

XBA series has impressions all over the place in head-fi. I still don't know how each of them sound :)

Which XBA do you plan to get? And how are you buying it?

XBA series has impressions all over the place in head-fi. I still don't know how each of them sound :)

Well I have heard all of them abd liked the xba3 most. Very levelled abd precise. Its already released and is available in most sony centers

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back