Need advice on my speaker purchase

prettycommonman

I'm actually looking at two types of system right now.

1. Edifier 2000mkiii powered stereo
2. Q acoustics 3020i with stereo amp (FX Audio D502)

I know if I went with 3020i I can in future use it for 5.1 or more setup with AVR easily. But my biggest concern is right now I can't spend much on AVR so my choice is something like FX Audio D502 if I wanna go with 3020i, if I pair this will I encounter in the long run?

I'm asking because the FX Audio D502 seems to be cheaper compared to branded stereo amps like from Denon, those are all above 35k INR and FX Audio D502 is around 9k INR. I don't care if the quality degrades over time for FX Audio D502 but I would feel bad if the amp degrades the 3020i speaker's lifespan. I'm not sure if that is an actual thing or not, I just assumed based on the pricing of the product and assumption of what could possibly go wrong (blind assumption tho).

Can anyone advice on this? Can the FX Audio D502 amp damage the speakers somehow in comparison with stereo amps like from denon or what kind of trade off I will make with this setup?

no, it is not going to damage the speakers, but you are missing out on the potential of your speakers unless you use a better amp

no, it is not going to damage the speakers, but you are missing out on the potential of your speakers unless you use a better amp
So that amp won't have no additional effect in relation to the degradation of the speakers just like other AVRs and AMPs right

I'm actually looking at two types of system right now.
Being somewhat familiar with both brands and speakers, my response is as under:
1. Edifier 2000mkiii powered stereo
There is absolutely no reason to buy this when the Q acoustics M20HD exists. While i have no experience with this particular speaker, i got an Edifier 1280DBs recently and its performance over bluetooth was abysmal, whether through SBC or BT 5.0. In comparison, my logitech BT receiver and Signature Acoustics Phoenix BT receiver sound markedly better connected to the Edifier 1280DBs.

On the other hand, the BT performance on the QA M20 HD is phenomenal and the inbuilt DAC is good enough to not warrant any other entry level DAC upto 15K.
2. Q acoustics 3020i with stereo amp (FX Audio D502)
While the Q acoustics 3020i is a very nice speaker, there is again absolutely no reason to buy this when the Q acoustics M20HD exists, especially if you intend to pair it with the FX Audio D502. The Q acoustics M20HD is phenomenal for the price and compared to it, any speaker powered by the FX Audio D502 will sound like a damp squib. While i do not have the 3020i at hand, it is simply a no contest versus the QA M20HD when i connect any of my bookshelfs to the D502.
I know if I went with 3020i I can in future use it for 5.1 or more setup with AVR easily. But my biggest concern is right now I can't spend much on AVR so my choice is something like FX Audio D502 if I wanna go with 3020i, if I pair this will I encounter in the long run?

I'm asking because the FX Audio D502 seems to be cheaper compared to branded stereo amps like from Denon, those are all above 35k INR and FX Audio D502 is around 9k INR. I don't care if the quality degrades over time for FX Audio D502 but I would feel bad if the amp degrades the 3020i speaker's lifespan. I'm not sure if that is an actual thing or not, I just assumed based on the pricing of the product and assumption of what could possibly go wrong (blind assumption tho).

Can anyone advice on this? Can the FX Audio D502 amp damage the speakers somehow in comparison with stereo amps like from denon or what kind of trade off I will make with this setup?
While i believe you've got quite a few fundas wrong and I'd usually be happy to clear them up, the same is moot since the Q acoustics M20 HD exists.

Can the FX Audio D502 amp damage the speakers somehow
Over or under powering will damage the speakers.
You can safely use the Q Acoustics with the FX amp.
Properly mating the amp to the recommended requirements of the speaker for safe operations matters more than worrying about what brand the amp is. Specifications first, brand next.

I was 100% going to recommend this, then I checked the price again on HiFiMart, it's retailing for 60k, now.
Was 40k a few weeks back. I dropped the recommendation based solely on the price.
I agree.

If it can be had for 40K or for that matter below 50K, it is hard to beat through any separates combo that currently exists in the market considering the combination of SQ and features that it possesses. I got it for 33K and it is nigh impossible to beat it at that price unless one goes used.

Tata Cliq is still selling it for 50K with a 3500 discount on BoB cards.

I've tried a variety of bookshelf speakers ranging from 20K to 90K with some budget amplifiers below 15K such as the FX Audio D502 and SMSL DA8S and they simply don't hold muster compared to the QA M20HD. Anything with a comparable feature set and SQ of the QA m20HD raises the price well above 50K.

EDIT:

And then again, maybe not. Click on the banner above on HFV or the link below and you are directed to the cart with a discount of 20K which brings down the price to 40K:

Last edited:
Over or under powering will damage the speakers.
You can safely use the Q Acoustics with the FX amp.
Properly mating the amp to the recommended requirements of the speaker for safe operations matters more than worrying about what brand the amp is. Specifications first, brand next.
Thats right, not all brands are entirely truthful/accurate with their specs and/or distort/conceal them.

My SMSL DA8S is rated at 40W@8Ohm and 80W @4Ohm vs 45W@8Ohm and 60W @4Ohm for my PM6006.

While the sound may be subjective (the PM6006 is simply better in all respects!), the Marantz can simply go much louder with both 8ohm and 4ohm speakers without distorting than the SMSL DA8S.

Either Marantz has heavily underestimated its specs or the SMSL is a bit too over ambitious.

In light of the above, should i even bother going into details about the FX D502 which is also rated identically to the PM6006 (admittedly, THD has not been mentioned for the FX D502)? :p

Last edited:
Q Acoustics M20 HD is a super buy under 50k, you get speakers, built-in stellar DAC, wireless capability.
Getting passive gear including all this will go way over 50k alone, plus no cable management nor need to investing in them!!!

Q Acoustics M20 HD is a super buy under 50k, you get speakers, built-in stellar DAC, wireless capability.
Getting passive gear including all this will go way over 50k alone, plus no cable management nor need to investing in them!!!
Hold on to your horses there, Haiwatha!

How do you propose he leverage that stellar built in DAC without cables?

Also, the second speaker is passive and will need to be connected to the main.

In actuality, a separates combo of IA + speakers requires only one more cable over the Q Acoustics M20HD.

Last edited:
OP, apologies for hijacking this thread and let me know in case this belongs in a separate thread, how does Q Acoustics M20 HD compare with Klipsch R51-PM, for example, purely in terms of audio quality and features both the powered speakers provide? Thanks!

OP, apologies for hijacking this thread and let me know in case this belongs in a separate thread, how does Q Acoustics M20 HD compare with Klipsch R51-PM, for example, purely in terms of audio quality and features both the powered speakers provide? Thanks!
Great question and very relevant to this thread! The Klipsch R51PM was on my shortlist too for a very long time before i went for the QA M20HD.

While i haven't heard the Klipsch R51PM, i do happen to have the Klipsch RP600M and some considerations that need to be factored in according to me are as follows:

1. The QA M20 HD comes with BT 5.0 and AptX HD codecs. The Klipsch R51PM simply mentions bluetooth without mentioning any Codec.

2. The Klipsch R51PM has a phono stage which the QA M20HD does not.

3. While looks are subjective, build quality of the M20HD is decidedly superior to my Klipsch RP600M which is 2X the price and without built-in amplification at that. The R51PM looks like it has similar/inferior build quality to the Klipsch RP600M so I shudder.

4. Klipsch has made a dubious claim of extension down to 49hz at 35% volume! I can vouch for the fact that the QA M20HD easily digs to the 40s at above 80% volume. The bass is strong with this one (i have a feeling this reference will be lost on most but its surely apt)!

5. Klipsch exaggerates their specs. QA is more or less accurate in my experience having lived with and measured speakers from both brands.

6. The Klipsch has a polarising sound. In my experience,more people found the QA M20HD agreeable compared to the Klipsch RP600M due to the latters treble characteristics and voicing.

7. Last but not the least, the lowest i have seen the Klipsch R51PM is 49K which is a good 16K costlier than what I got the QA M20HD for. Even at 40K, it seems to be the better value being cheaper by nearly 10K. If you want a phono stage, plonk that extra 10-15K into an ifi zen phono and it'll likely beat the Klipsch hollow.

Last edited:
7. Last but not the least, the lowest i have seen the Klipsch R51PM is 49K which is a good 16K costlier than what I got the QA M20HD for. Even at 40K, it seems to be the better value being cheaper by nearly 10K. If you want a phono stage, plonk that extra 10-15K into an ifi zen phono and it'll likely beat the Klipsch hollow.
Appreciate the detailed feedback as well as comparison between both of them. Curious on how/where were you able to source QA M20HD for 33K which sounds like a steal deal?

Appreciate the detailed feedback as well as comparison between both of them. Curious on how/where were you able to source QA M20HD for 33K which sounds like a steal deal?
Keep your eye out for sales! I know of another person on HFV who got it from Amazon at a similar price. In any case, whether 33K or 40K (but not above 50K), it is simply unbeatable for the price when you look at it from the perspective of a complete system.

Keep your eye out for sales! I know of another person on HFV who got it from Amazon at a similar price. In any case, whether 33K or 40K (but not above 50K), it is simply unbeatable for the price when you look at it from the perspective of a complete system.
Can you post a couple of pics if possible. Is the size similar to the 3020i or smaller?

The 3020i is currently available on Amazon for 21500 btw if anyone's looking (23500-less 2k on a couple of cards)

Thats right, not all brands are entirely truthful/accurate with their specs and/or distort/conceal them.

My SMSL DA8S is rated at 40W@8Ohm and 80W @4Ohm vs 45W@8Ohm and 60W @4Ohm for my PM6006.

While the sound may be subjective (the PM6006 is simply better in all respects!), the Marantz can simply go much louder with both 8ohm and 4ohm speakers without distorting than the SMSL DA8S.

Either Marantz has heavily underestimated its specs or the SMSL is a bit too over ambitious.

In light of the above, should i even bother going into details about the FX D502 which is also rated identically to the PM6006 (admittedly, THD has not been mentioned for the FX D502)? :p
Marantz does tend to be quite conservative with their specs. One of the markers of a good brand with a rich lineage.

Can you post a couple of pics if possible. Is the size similar to the 3020i or smaller?
Its more or less the same size but according to me, the looks and build are more svelte. Posting some pics below which absolutely do not do justice to how good they look in person (potato quality as the lighting was low and ISO was high):

3.jpg

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    754.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 4 .jpg
    4 .jpg
    508.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    749.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 2 .jpg
    2 .jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys, I guess just in case if go with M20 in future if I want to use it with AVRs the only way is pre outs right. Is it common for AVRs to have channel pre outs or it is more of rare thing (or maybe only reserved for high end models)

Thanks for the responses guys, I guess just in case if go with M20 in future if I want to use it with AVRs the only way is pre outs right. Is it common for AVRs to have channel pre outs or it is more of rare thing (or maybe only reserved for high end models)
Depends on the make/model but not necessarily restricted to high end. I got a Marantz NR1509 for 27K back in 2020 which has pre-outs.

In fact, come to think about it... its the best value system i have ever built paired with the Mission QX-2 (the GOAT of sub-1L speakers) considering a combination of overall SQ and features. It has connectivity galore - Airplay 2, Wifi and streaming music capabilities, 7xHDMI, a Phono Stage, coaxial, optical, Bluetooth, sub out, and the ability to drive 5 speakers which i've admittedly not tried (and this is where the Q Acoustics M20HD would be helpful as I'm sure this little wonder would run out of gas if it had to power all 5 channels) - the total came to 54K!

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back