Need advice on my speaker purchase

Its more or less the same size but according to me, the looks and build are more svelte. Posting some pics below which absolutely do not do justice to how good they look in person (potato quality as the lighting was low and ISO was high):

View attachment 67830
Thanks for the pics! One last query. Hows the bass? Unfortunately can't get a demo.
I listen mostly to house/techno if it matters

@DB1989 How does the M20 will perform for movies tho? Just in case if I purchase that I'm thinking of using it for my PC as well as for my TV whenever I wanted to. Music and movie consumption will be like 60%-40% respectively for me. While at work I'll listen to the music and everyday at least one movie along with YouTube consumption. I'm trying to find sound demo of M20 on youtube (not the best representation but will give an idea) but I only found videos that demonstrated music only.

Thanks for the pics! One last query. Hows the bass? Unfortunately can't get a demo.
So do I. And it hits the spot. But then again, if thats the case, no Bookshelf on their own would ever be entirely sufficient. Which is why i have 4 subwoofers even with my floorstanders and other bookshelf speakers which are far larger than the M20HD.

In the rare event that you feel the bass lacking, as akshay kumar aptly put it, bacche ki jaan
loge?

@DB1989 How does the M20 will perform for movies tho? Just in case if I purchase that I'm thinking of using it for my PC as well as for my TV whenever I wanted to. Music and movie consumption will be like 60%-40% respectively for me. While at work I'll listen to the music and everyday at least one movie along with YouTube consumption.
Sure! You do you.
I'm trying to find sound demo of M20 on youtube (not the best representation but will give an idea) but I only found videos that demonstrated music only.
Nope!

Haha yes but I like my music bass heavy. Just not looking at getting something like 2 Amazon Echo's. Though I believe you can attach a subwoofer to this system
Bass is adequate. But, the definition of adequate is different for different folks.

If you have an Apple device the HomePods are excellent speakers. If you can grab a pair of them, nothing like it. But, you'll be limited to how you can use them.

Get the M20 now, add a subwoofer later.

Bass is adequate. But, the definition of adequate is different for different folks.
Agreed. Which makes me wonder - which hifi bookshelf produces the best bass quantity for a budget below 1L?

In my experience, it has been the Mission QX-2.

The least i've ever heard are from the PSB Alpha P5. This is quite understandable due to the driver size but makes what the Q Acoustics M20HD do look incredible in comparison since both of them are 5.25 inch.
For listening to house techno, you'll definitely need a sub and in my experience, no bookshelf can get there without a sub. With a bit of proper placement, you can get it to be adequate but you will miss the oomph.

Which is why, you should also look at 2.1 all-in-one speakers like the Logitech Z623 speakers. While they obviously won't have the attributes that hi fi speakers excel but they are pretty decent for the price and do come with a subwoofer that'll get you the bass weight though not necessarily the definition.

On the other hand, there is a lot going up top as well in House/Techno music which is usually lost in ordinary speakers. But then again, these attributes take time to appreciate. Therefore, unless you've heard your music through a good pair of speakers and are aware about all the information and spatial cues going on, you won't know what you're missing out(on lesser speakers, it usually sounds garbled and spatial cues are entirely missing). In such circumstances, a 2.1 system totally makes sense. On the other hand, if you get a pair of hifi speakers and the bass isn't quite there as per your expectations, you'll be very disappointed. And there's a real likelihood of that in my experience for people moving from 2.1 systems as I did (Altec Lansing MX5021). Again, its possible to get around it to a large extent through proper placement but for a beginner, thats usually too daunting a task from what I've seen.

For listening to house techno, you'll definitely need a sub and in my experience, no bookshelf can get there without a sub. With a bit of proper placement, you can get it to be adequate but you will miss the oomph.
Went ahead with the 3050i for now. Still haven't opened them but plan to use them with my existing Marantz 1509.
Will keep a look out for pre-owned sub woofer in the future. Thanks

Ah, I guessed as much - although I was looking at bar stools - will also check for side tables, there are good budget (and good looking) options.

Ah, I guessed as much - although I was looking at bar stools - will also check for side tables, there are good budget (and good looking) options.
Ha ha... Was looking at bar stools too but couldn't find a frugal option that had a flat top. Otherwise, they cost just as much as proper stands!

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back