Need advice on Stands for JA Pulsar

screwgauge

Hello,

I just acquired the Joseph Audio Pulsars and I am looking for guidance on the right stands to go with it.

The speakers weight 16 kg each and the dimensions are 15" (H) x 9" (W) x 13" (D)

I am looking for a good pair of stands to mount them on. Sound Anchors were highly rated on other forums but since they aren't available here, I will have to ship them or hand carry when traveling. I was wondering if there are good stands available locally?

The speakers also have screw holes so that it can be screwed on to the stands. Would you recommend just placing it on the base or screwing them in? That might need some custom work to line up the grooves in the stand's base plate.

Thanks!

Stands can be of different types ie High damping , Loss , tightly coupled to speaker, wood vs steel, hight from floor etc. Do try to find out what is recommended for the pulsars and then go accordingly.

Google by default shows sound anchor hence heavy and metal stands.

usually placing the speaker is enough as if the stand is designed for the speaker, it will be stable, especially if the stand and speaker are heavy.

Yu can also try FM Magma from SoundFoundation..he can custom make it for you.

Hello,

I just acquired the Joseph Audio Pulsars and I am looking for guidance on the right stands to go with it.

The speakers weight 16 kg each and the dimensions are 15" (H) x 9" (W) x 13" (D)

I am looking for a good pair of stands to mount them on. Sound Anchors were highly rated on other forums but since they aren't available here, I will have to ship them or hand carry when traveling. I was wondering if there are good stands available locally?

The speakers also have screw holes so that it can be screwed on to the stands. Would you recommend just placing it on the base or screwing them in? That might need some custom work to line up the grooves in the stand's base plate.

Thanks!
Hi there are tons of stands to choose from the sound foundations site. I use their racks, amp stands and custom speakers plinths, and they are a real quality product with excellent fit and finish.

Coming to the later part, there are 2 things to consider.

1. Tweeter height - Though the usual recommendation is to have the tweeters at ear height. Personal tastes play a role here, as well as tweeters characters. I for one prefer to have tweeters above ear level, as I find that it adds an element of height to the sound stage. But of course it will depend heavily on the off axis response of the tweeters. When I got my speakers new, I found that I preferred them without any toe-in. So that showed they had a good off axis response which I actually preferred. Thus on a whim I elevated my speakers on plinths, and found the increase in height to my liking. So they stayed this way. But some FM's have found the sound stage to be weird, like that of a theatre, where the sounds seem to be coming from above. So it is personal taste really. So this will determine the hieght of the stand that you need.

2. Mass loadable or not : speakers like the BBC design spendors and harbeth's, have thin wall thickness of the cabinet. This is to enable expansion of the cabinet in sympathy to the back wave of the drivers. Thus, fixing these speakers to the stand firmly with screws, will change their voicing. Though some people have used bluetack to attach the speakers with likable results.

In case of the Joseph audio speakers, they seem to be well braced and inert. In that case, increasing the mass of the speaker, by attaching it firmly to the stand with screws can be a positive improvement. In which case, getting mass loadable stands might be beneficial, as you start loading them with led pellets starting at 1/4 height, and see if it improves to your liking.

If you don't like the sound with the speakers screwed in, then you can consider isolating the same with some isoacoustics gaia III footers.

Above is just a, suggestion of variations of permutations and combinations too see which you like. All the best

If you don't like the sound with the speakers screwed in, then you can consider isolating the same with some isoacoustics gaia III footers.

Above is just a, suggestion of variations of permutations and combinations too see which you like. All the best

Any recommendations on the screws to use? The speaker has 4 holes at the base which are 6mmm wide. But I didn't receive any screws with it. I am wondering if there are "specific" screws I should use.

Any recommendations on the screws to use? The speaker has 4 holes at the base which are 6mmm wide. But I didn't receive any screws with it. I am wondering if there are "specific" screws I should use.
Hi there are luckily no audiophile screws around 😜😜. Anything that fits is good enough. That said, it would be better to add some Cork or sorbothane washers between the speakers and the stand. My own pmc speakers are screwed to their plinths with Cork washers in place to add a degree of isolation. I would recommend similar washers between the speakers and the stand, and also between the screw head and the bottom of the stand.

Hi there are luckily no audiophile screws around 😜😜. Anything that fits is good enough. That said, it would be better to add some Cork or sorbothane washers between the speakers and the stand. My own pmc speakers are screwed to their plinths with Cork washers in place to add a degree of isolation. I would recommend similar washers between the speakers and the stand, and also between the screw head and the bottom of the stand.
By the way 😁.. I forgot to mention that the tonality of the speakers will change depending on the tightness of the base bolts. Please make them hand tight only, or we will kill the isolation effects of the intermediate washers 😂

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back