Need advice on the integrated amp

ajkagz

I'm looking for a matching amplifier to drive Q Acoustics 3050i floorstanders. Have set aside a limited budget of 25K for the amp while being open for used stuff. I have an Rpi+Allo source. I was suggested that Yamaha A-S500 would good for my needs but it seems to be discontinued. A dealer in Hyderabad suggested Yamaha RS-500 (Stereo Receiver) which was in stock. Besides the FM Radio, he couldn't say the difference between A-S500 and R-S500. Any suggestions on this?

I'm looking for a matching amplifier to drive Q Acoustics 3050i floorstanders. Have set aside a limited budget of 25K for the amp while being open for used stuff. I have an Rpi+Allo source. I was suggested that Yamaha A-S500 would good for my needs but it seems to be discontinued. A dealer in Hyderabad suggested Yamaha RS-500 (Stereo Receiver) which was in stock. Besides the FM Radio, he couldn't say the difference between A-S500 and R-S500. Any suggestions on this?
I've been through several Qacoustics speakers and Iam very familiar with their sound presentation, which leans to the smooth, rich and slightly laid back kinds. So a smooth sounding amp might make the whole system sound yawnny :D

So you have to choose your amp, keeping your musical tastes in mind. Having said that, I would suggest to save for a few months more, as getting an amp under 25k, that can do justice to these speakers might be difficult. However, the discrete dynamics amp suggested above has been garnering very high praise. So maybe something worth investigating, though I've never heard one myself. All the best :)

he couldn't say the difference between A-S500 and R-S500.
Go for AS 500 instead of RS 500, RS stands for Receiver series, which are relatively less preferred by audiophile community in general, Wheras AS line is proper integrated line which goes upto flagship integrateds from Yamaha.
Apart from that, AS 500 is slightly more powerful, but most importantly if you look at THD ( Distortion levels) numbers, RS 500 has nearly 3 times high THD compared to AS 500, in spite of being less powerful than AS 500. ( How much of the THD level difference is audibly discernable, with accompanied budget components is matter of debate though).
Yamaha Lower end amp series have a good raw power and Attack, Which may work favorably with slightly Laid back nature of Qacoustics speakers in general.

Having said that, I'd suggest you to upgrade the budget if possible and go with RN 803 of Yamaha which comes with mic and 2ch YPAO Room Correction algorithms built in ; One of the best VFM solution for people on budget. Otherwise AS 500 is a good option.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back