Need advice on upgrading my speaker setup

msankadi

Hi

After going through the forums and some reviews I have again gotten confused, so would really appreciate your inputs here.

Current setup: Yamaha HTR 3072+ Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1 + Epson TW 9400
Main Use: Playing untouched blurays from Kodi using my PC + PS4 + Some streaming through streaming services + Some music mostly bollywood
Summarized Use: 70% Movies + 20% Games + 10% Music

Now, I am looking to invest close to 35-40k to upgrade my speakers and preferably to tower speakers. I plan to keep the same subwoofer for now given the budget.

1. Should I buy a 5.0 package or just upgrade the front 2 speakers? Which will give me the best improvement? (As I can get better quality tower speakers and am happy with the current speakers for surround)

2. I had shortlisted Taga Harmony 606 v3 5.0 package to replace my satellite speakers ? Based on the above answer is this a good choice or is there a better option ?

3. Do you think above 2 upgrades are good upgrades or I wont see much of a difference?

Hi

After going through the forums and some reviews I have again gotten confused, so would really appreciate your inputs here.

Current setup: Yamaha HTR 3072+ Boston Acoustics Soundware XS 5.1 + Epson TW 9400
Main Use: Playing untouched blurays from Kodi using my PC + PS4 + Some streaming through streaming services + Some music mostly bollywood

Now, I am looking to invest close to 35-40k to upgrade my speakers and preferably to tower speakers. I plan to keep the same subwoofer for now given the budget.

1. Should I buy a 5.0 package or just upgrade the front 2 speakers? Which will give me the best improvement? (As I can get better quality tower speakers and am happy with the current speakers for surround)

2. I had shortlisted Taga Harmony 606 v3 5.0 package to replace my satellite speakers ? Based on the above answer is this a good choice or is there a better option ?

3. Do you think above 2 upgrades are good upgrades or I wont see much of a difference?
My view, Put money into your front speakers. They maybe towers or speakers on stands. Use the current ones as center/surround etc. along with your sub.
Spreading your budget across more than new front speakers will only make you move laterally.

The next time round put a little money into the amp or center speaker.

Take the upgrade device by device.

My view, Put money into your front speakers. They maybe towers or speakers on stands. Use the current ones as center/surround etc. along with your sub.
Spreading your budget across more than new front speakers will only make you move laterally.

The next time round put a little money into the amp or center speaker.

Take the upgrade device by device.
Thanks any recommendation given my use case above?

Thanks any recommendation given my use case above?
For your budget warfdale and Q-acoustics are worth a look. You may go up the chain on Boston too if you like the sound signature.

Polk or a good used pair of KEF to begin with ?

Good luck on your search.

Hi

I used the Boston Soundware XS 5.1 on a Marantz NR 1402 (5.1) somewhere in 2012 and after 2 years upgraded. Speakers were very good and being compact delivered an excellent quality output for music or movies better than Bose or JBL satellite speakers.

If you feel that something is missing in punch or quality, maybe changing the AVR to Marantz NR series may help to improve that!

If you just want to enjoy a different sound signature and feel the need to complete all frequencies that should be outputted between 20hz - 20khz then makes sense to upgrade to a Bookshelf set or the ones you are considering.

The subwoofer outputs between 35hz to 150hz which is decent for movies and music. Maybe an upgrade to Front speakers only should help. If you are on a set budget, check the pre owned sale section or olx for these speakers.

I used the Boston Soundware XS 5.1 on a Marantz NR 1402 (5.1) somewhere in 2012 and after 2 years upgraded. Speakers were very good and being compact delivered an excellent quality output for music or movies better than Bose or JBL satellite speakers.

If you feel that something is missing in punch or quality, maybe changing the AVR to Marantz NR series may help to improve that!

If you just want to enjoy a different sound signature and feel the need to complete all frequencies that should be outputted between 20hz - 20khz then makes sense to upgrade to a Bookshelf set or the ones you are considering.

The subwoofer outputs between 35hz to 150hz which is decent for movies and music. Maybe an upgrade to Front speakers only should help. If you are on a set budget, check the pre owned sale section or olx for these speakers.

Can you please

Thanks i recently upgraded my avr from non 4k to 4k so not looking to upgrade the avr itself... Any suggestions for floor or bookshelf speakers?

Any suggestions for floor or bookshelf speakers for mostly movies - that will be a good upgrade to my existing setup?

All depends on budget. Just recently my younger bro picked up Miccas from Flipkart RB42s cost is 12741 as opposed to 14990 over Amazon. They are really good and will deliver well when coupled with the boston subwoofer.

Check mounting options before purchase.

Other options would be the Taga B 40s
Yamaha NS 333

Polk RTi A1s

Read reviews where possible or see Youtube videos and take a call.

All depends on budget. Just recently my younger bro picked up Miccas from Flipkart RB42s cost is 12741 as opposed to 14990 over Amazon. They are really good and will deliver well when coupled with the boston subwoofer.

Check mounting options before purchase.

Other options would be the Taga B 40s
Yamaha NS 333

Polk RTi A1s

Read reviews where possible or see Youtube videos and take a call.
Thank you budget is around 25k 30k can stretch a little bit

Hi

How big is your room? 3072 will be good for bookshelf speakers. Not sure how efficient it will be for driving towers. Better you can upgrade your LCR with bookshelf speakers for LR and skip towers if room is not big and don’t demand tower speakers

Thank you budget is around 25k 30k can stretch a little bit
I have Taga Azure B-40 and they sound pretty good. You can also check Dali Spektor 1. DM me if you need numbers of dealers for demo.

Do make sure that they feel like an upgrade compared to what you have currently. To that end, speakers tend to sound better in dedicated demo rooms, so be mindful of that as well.

Get a pair of Polk Audio Rti A3's. You'll need stands to go with them. The improvement will be several notches over what you currently have.

I don't think there are floor stand speakers that are even worth looking at, at this price point. Maybe the Norge but I have not heard them.

Get a pair of Polk Audio Rti A3's. You'll need stands to go with them. The improvement will be several notches over what you currently have.

I don't think there are floor stand speakers that are even worth looking at, at this price point. Maybe the Norge but I have not heard them.

Agree. At 25-30K you will get BS speakers that far exceed any FS.

Polk RTi A3 is a good suggestion.
Also consider the QA 3030i.

I have got a couple of good options of fs second hand speakers in this budget... Assuming i audition and willing to take the chance those should be better than the Bs right?

I have got a couple of good options of fs second hand speakers in this budget... Assuming i audition and willing to take the chance those should be better than the Bs right?
There is no such rule. There are BS/Standmounts that can compete with towers/FS at the same price point.
I've observed that in small to medium sized rooms (up to 200sft) BS works quite well.
If you want to listen to a stand mount setup in an average untreated living room, drop me a PM.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
I've got the same AVR from Yamaha. Upgraded front LR to Mission LX2 and center to Mission LX-C in 2016. Happy the performance since then
Guess it was your thread in Spekaers forum which helped me narrow down to LX2 :). Planning to get LX-C now that you have the same combo and happy with it.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back