need advise on a full home theater

rg_mohan

I am seeking advise for
a. which brand is good and long standing & trouble free ( Bose, Panasonic ??)
b. Do we have any one chennai to offer all the service
c. my home theater should contain the following: 1) TV, 2) DVD, 3) Channel Dcoder, 4) Bose speakers, 5) Projector, 6) Prjector Screen, 7) Music system,8) PC

and how to connect all ( DVD, TV channels, PC etc ) to the projector to view all in the bigger screen ( projector screen ) with the BOSE speakers sound effect.

I wolud be very glad, if someone can assist me indetail

Thanks
Mohan
email id: [email protected]

Mohan, can you tell us your budget? Then we can give you all the information you need...otherwise the range in which you can buy each of the components you mentioned is too wide....

Just one thing....there are several companies that offer superior products to that produced by Bose, as the same price point.....Bose depends on its brand-name and marketing to sell products and charge a premium for that....however if that brand-name and the cachet matters to you....by all means by Bose

(for instance I am buying my parents a Bose Wave Music System....I know I can get a better system for the same 30k Rupees......but they want a single-unit music system....and for them Bose is like the "holy grail"....so the happiness that the Bose system gives them will not just be the sound, but the happiness of owning a "Bose" and since they don't frequent audiophile discussion forums, there's no one to disabuse them of that notion :) )

I can spend 3 lakhs (for all - TV, PC, Music system, DVD, Projector & screen and all the wiring etc.)and above if all are superior in quality and give me the full staisfaction in viewing and sound

Thanks
Mohan

mohan,

I am a small time guy myself. But how come you are including PC, TV, projector.

Why don't you set up a home theater first like 5.1 or 7.1,

You can add them later.

Start off with a floor standing speakers with AV receiver with a DVD player.

Add sub woofer, center channel and satellite speakers next.

Once that is complete you can buy TV or projector.

Or you can go for direct full set up offered by different makers.

First you need to decide whether you want to set up on your own or you want buy the ones from companies.

Companies like Onkyo, JBL, Jamo offer full packages. ( Speaker packages for 5.1 or 7.1 ) Onkyo offers with AV receiver.

You Can decide how you want to do. Then others will be able to guide you.

Last edited:
Mohan, with the budget of Rs. 3 lakhs, you can either go for a very very good home theater with fewer components or an ordinary home theater with all the components that you mentioned. I would honestly recommend you go for the former.

Step 1 - For the time being decide between projector + screen and TV.....to begin i would recommend a TV, and you can go for a projector and screen later....if you really want a big-ass TV, go for a 50 inch plasma.....there are excellent samsung models for about a lakh. of course for that same lakh you can get a decent projector and screen, so you can make the choice.....but doing both will mean you will have less money for everything else.

Step 2 - Assuming you have 2 lakhs left over after finalising your display, let's go over the rest of your list

2) DVD - This is very important. Buy as good a player as you can. If you can afford the Oppo 983H go for it, it's some 400 USD (20k) in the US. Have it picked up there, it will be a lot more expensive here.

Balance - 1.8 lakhs

3) Channel Dcoder - I presume you are referring to an AV receiver. There is a plethora of good AVRs available from manufacturers such as Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, Cambridge Audio and so on. It would be worthwhile to consider the Onkyo TX-SR606 which costs about 35k in India

balance - 1.45 lakhs

4) Bose speakers - You have a decent budget...don't waste it on Bose speakers. Keeping say 45k aside for a solid (assembled) desktop PC with a good graphics card, and a good sound card. you would have a lakh left to spend on speakers. If you can chop the PC off and spend the rest of the money on speakers, it would be even better.

5) Projector, 6) Prjector Screen, - dealt with in the beginning

7) Music system - All that is left are the speakers. Unless you also want to get a dedicated CD player. With a budget of something between a lakh and 1.5 lakhs there are tons of options. You could consider the Cambridge Audio 640C for the CD player (it's about 20k) and spend the rest on speakers. You can assemble a 5.1 package out of various speaker series like Wharfedale's Diamond series and other comparable series from other manufacturers. Others will give you a better idea.

8) PC - Why do you need the PC as part of your AV setup? If it is essential go for an assembled PC with the best components that your money can buy.

You can connect all these using various types of cables that are available off the shelf. Your AVR will be central unit that will feed your screen. The PC, DVD player, CD player etc., will all connect into the AVR.

I am seeking advise for
a. which brand is good and long standing & trouble free ( Bose, Panasonic ??)
b. Do we have any one chennai to offer all the service
c. my home theater should contain the following: 1) TV, 2) DVD, 3) Channel Dcoder, 4) Bose speakers, 5) Projector, 6) Prjector Screen, 7) Music system,8) PC

and how to connect all ( DVD, TV channels, PC etc ) to the projector to view all in the bigger screen ( projector screen ) with the BOSE speakers sound effect.

I wolud be very glad, if someone can assist me indetail

Thanks
Mohan
email id: [email protected]

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back