Need AV receiver recco for my speakers

shapra

I have a 5.1 speaker setup -

4 x Infinity Beta 20 speakers (150W peak power) (Infinity BETA 20 BK - BETA20BKS Two Way Bookshelf Speaker Black Finish Incorporates Infinitys Exclusive CMMD and CAI Technology at Vanns.com | details)

1 x Infinity C360 Center channel (200W peak power) (Infinity BETA C360 BK - BETAC360BK Three Way Center Channel Speaker Black Incorporates Infinitys Exclusive CMMD and CAI Technology at Vanns.com | details)

Cadence-X12 sub.
(12" HOME THEATER SUBWOOFER - SUBWOOFERS - Cadence Acoustics, LTD)

I used to own an Onkyo SR 605 - pretty good.
How about onkyo 606?
Denon AVR 1908 or 2308? (Profx - Advanced Audio Solutions)

Please provide your suggestions. Intended use is 50% movies (sci-fi, action) and 50 % music (rock, Indian classical, Western classical, Dance)

Hi, b4 making any final decision , pls check the reviews on Denon's new 1909 on hifi. check on the net..........its a good one dont miss to have audition .:)

-

I used to own an Onkyo SR 605 - pretty good.
How about onkyo 606?
Denon AVR 1908 or 2308? (Profx - Advanced Audio Solutions)

Please provide your suggestions. Intended use is 50% movies (sci-fi, action) and 50 % music (rock, Indian classical, Western classical, Dance)

Since you have been using a Onkyo 605 and find it pretty good, stick to a Onkyo (606 or higher). Your ears are used to that sound, and you can continue hearing the same sound.

BTW, why do you want to change? Something wrong with the 605? If it is upscaling that you are missing, you can get a DVD player that upscales, and continue using the 605.

Cheers

Hi, b4 making any final decision , pls check the reviews on Denon's new 1909 on hifi. check on the net..........its a good one dont miss to have audition .:)

Will try that. Thank you.

Since you have been using a Onkyo 605 and find it pretty good, stick to a Onkyo (606 or higher). Your ears are used to that sound, and you can continue hearing the same sound.

BTW, why do you want to change? Something wrong with the 605? If it is upscaling that you are missing, you can get a DVD player that upscales, and continue using the 605.

Cheers

Thanks for the Onkyo suggestion. I will audition the 606. Will this be slightly underpowered for my speakers?

I left behind my 605 with Athena B1.2, C1.2 centre and Bic sub when I moved. I have a 1080p plasma monitor and would love to get the best out of TataSky. i have the Oppo 983 DVD player - awesome.

Last edited:
Will try that. Thank you.

Thanks for the Onkyo suggestion. I will audition the 606. Will this be slightly underpowered for my speakers?

I left behind my 605 with Athena B1.2, C1.2 centre and Bic sub when I moved. I have a 1080p plasma monitor and would love to get the best out of TataSky. i have the Oppo 983 DVD player - awesome.

Please check the power of the 606. I am getting confusing numbers in Onkyo's site itself. The European version (Onkyo Europe - Press release TX-SR606) gives one figure, while the Asian version (A/V Recivers : TX-SR606 | ONKYO Asia and Oceania Website) gives another. I am assuming they are all talking about 6 ohms.

At the lowest. the 606 should pump out 90 watts into each of the 7 channels. Unless you have a very large room, and like to listen at very high volumes, this should suffice. Alternatively you can look at the higher models - 706 and 806. The 806 seems to go upto 180 watts.

Regarding TatSky, I remember reading somebody routing it through an upscaling AVR (an Onkyo) and getting excellent results.

Cheers.

Hi, TRUST YOUR EARS !!!!!! Have aN AUDITION for Onkyo 606 & Denon 1909 than see which one you prefer ! I can vouch for the audio quality of Denon 1909 , as i audition for many avr last month . My first avr was Onkyo TX-SR504 .......point of mentioning it here is though i had Onkyo but later i tested many things by myself by having audition for many avr & reached on conclusion that most of the avr made by Denon have edge over Onkyo in terms of Quality where as Onkyo excelled in feature's !!!!!! Take your shot:)

I 100% agree with robot ..........................!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very true as i have tested both AVR'S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just go to dealer , take your own CD/ dvds and test there.............and as robot said trust your ears........its true

robot said:
Hi, TRUST YOUR EARS !!!!!! Have aN AUDITION for Onkyo 606 & Denon 1909 than see which one you prefer ! I can vouch for the audio quality of Denon 1909 , as i audition for many avr last month . My first avr was Onkyo TX-SR504 .......point of mentioning it here is though i had Onkyo but later i tested many things by myself by having audition for many avr & reached on conclusion that most of the avr made by Denon have edge over Onkyo in terms of Quality where as Onkyo excelled in feature's !!!!!! Take your shot

sandhutar said:
Re: Need AV receiver recco for my speakers. I 100% agree with robot ..........................!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very true as i have tested both AVR'S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just go to dealer , take your own CD/ dvds and test there.............and as robot said trust your ears........its true

Just to tease you guys, here is a verbatim quote from WhatHi. Feb 08 issue, page 65.

Though it looks as if the current outstanding Onkyo amplifier range is one of the most contentious issues in this office, everyone agrees that there is no better sounding multichannel alternative around. This includes Denon, we are afraid, whose 1908 is certainly less frightening to look at then the Onkyo TX-SR605 (Rs,36,000), but can't match the 605's level of excitement.

The denon also does not pack the onboard high-def audio decoding technology that Onkyo offers. So we recommend you to bit the bullet, buy the Onkyo, and consider buying an AV rack with cabinet doors.

UNQUOTE

Let us see where the current 1909 vs 606 bout ends.

Cheers

Just to tease you guys, here is a verbatim quote from WhatHi. Feb 08 issue, page 65.

Though it looks as if the current outstanding Onkyo amplifier range is one of the most contentious issues in this office, everyone agrees that there is no better sounding multichannel alternative around. This includes Denon, we are afraid, whose 1908 is certainly less frightening to look at then the Onkyo TX-SR605 (Rs,36,000), but can't match the 605's level of excitement.

The denon also does not pack the onboard high-def audio decoding technology that Onkyo offers. So we recommend you to bit the bullet, buy the Onkyo, and consider buying an AV rack with cabinet doors.

UNQUOTE

Cheers

Hi venket,

with all due respect, i hope that next time when you are here for a 'bout" than you shld be ready with your helmet on ! You are mentioning the feb review where as you missed the July review which is latest one !!!!!!!!
You are not updated:):)

hI Shapra,I'm not sure if its already there in India as i auditioned it in US !! My suggestion to you.... pls note that i always take all these reviews as reference only coz for me music is as subjective as food, where one cant judge the taste of the best of the best food only by reading reviews until taste it for real. In audio also every one has their own liking disliking , for example i was in the audition along with my two friends and my cousin. One of them spent 36500 usd for the system ( after 11 long audition sessions 5-6 hrs each time).
The second one spent only 6000 usd and he was satisfied with the systems response ! According to him, that 36500 usd is waste of money & the sound from that expensive system is a little harsh than his own system threfor his system is the best choice !!!!!:):):)
Thats why i mentioned JUST TRUST YOUR EARS !!!!! We tried to various brands and modles under one roof which helped us to shortlist easily, i dont know in India how far its possible !!!!!!
part of review is as under or else check on web DENON 1909 will show this site as well. (what hi fi )

Substantial sound adds sparkle
Denon had to make big strides where sound quality is concerned if it was to close the gap on Onkyo TX-SR606, and with the AVR-1909 it's done just that.
Decoding and amplifying the Dolby TrueHD soundtrack to our I Am Legend Blu-ray disc, the Denon delivers a sound as spacious, detailed and precise as we've enjoyed from the company's previous efforts, but where its predecessors played overly safe, the '1909 adds a considerable amount of punch and authority to the mix.
Low-end stuff is fast and substantial, with a level of drive and control unheard in recent Denon efforts. Allied to crisp, distinct dialogue and fine effects steering, it makes the '1909 the most convincing Denon in a while.

Elsewhere, the news is just as encouraging. Standard DVD soundtracks are crisp and muscular, and stereo music is similarly robust. Video upscaling is the best in this price class, meaning you can confidently route all your analogue video sources (like a Freeview box, say) through the '1909 and enjoy both clean, stable images and minimal wiring to your TV screen.

The AVR-1909, then, is a comprehensive return to form. The days of Onkyo getting it all its own way in this sector are over.

Hope it helps:)

UNQUOTE

Cheers
Hi Venket, after reading the Denon 1909 review it seems the BOUT BETWEEN ONKYO 606 VS DENON1909 ENDS HERE . as mentioned by you:Let us see where the current 1909 vs 606 bout ends.
Hi Sandhutar, thnx for some mature advice it was good!
RB9

Sandhu,

I was just teasing you guys. It is nice to see someone take such a emotional side of one brand against another. I have nothing for and/or against any brand. I have myself said many times in this forum that hearing with your own ears is the best.

At the same time, if I were in your shoes, I will not give up on the 606 so easily. I haven't yet seen any professional reviews of the 606, and would like to read a few before I believe one way or the other. The comparisons will come only after that.

If you have any links to professional reviews, please do send them to me. I would love to read them.

At the end of the day. the difference in technical features between these manufacturers is very very small. And the final decision maker is your pair of ears.

Cheers

Sandhu,

I was just teasing you guys. It is nice to see someone take such a emotional side of one brand against another. I have nothing for and/or against any brand. I have myself said many times in this forum that hearing with your own ears is the best.

At the same time, if I were in your shoes, I will not give up on the 606 so easily. I haven't yet seen any professional reviews of the 606, and would like to read a few before I believe one way or the other. The comparisons will come only after that.

If you have any links to professional reviews, please do send them to me. I would love to read them.

At the end of the day. the difference in technical features between these manufacturers is very very small. And the final decision maker is your pair of ears.

Cheers

Hi Venket its all like a small family here. I hv seen many inputs from your side in various threads which were informative. I don't see that sandhu favored any BRAND & as he has mentioned this review has taken from wHAT hI fI only........I think you missed it. I saw this review on WHATHIFI only..try again.
Regards
RB9

Hi Venket, There is nothing personal here but to share our experience with each other to spread awareness or to help some one some time (may be)!! As you can see from my first to the last post i did not try to market any product but to provide details and left it on the end customer to decide to choose !! I gave the ref of the same reviewing authority as mentioned by you 'WHAT HIFI' i'm sure you can check by your self .
As mentioned by RB9 its a small community here , i appreciate the word 'Family' !
I am happy to be part of this small family here ......luv you all........happy listning

Hi Sandhu yeah i agree with you . lets get back to avr............any more inputs here people

Hey Guys, you are taking this too seriously. I was just trying to lighten the situation. I will certainly scan all the WhatHiFi and read the 606 review if there is one.

My apologies, if I have offended anyone. And as you said, let us get bacl to AVR.

Cheers

Hey Guys, you are taking this too seriously. I was just trying to lighten the situation. I will certainly scan all the WhatHiFi and read the 606 review if there is one.

My apologies, if I have offended anyone. And as you said, let us get bacl to AVR.

Cheers

Hi , i have no issues buddy , happy independence day:)

Cheers

Hi Venket, as i mentioned in last post no one is hurting each other but sharing their experience. I think may be i couldn't make myself clear........pls be at ease as we all belong to this small but crazy:) hifi forum at least i call myself crazy for hifi ! So cooooool and yes Happy Independence Day to all of you !

Hi Shapra, pls do update the forum as what was your experience once your are done
Thanks & Regards
RB9

Hi,
is the denon 1909 avalaible in India ? Asked a few dealers and they say that it is not yet launched here .

Thankx

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back