Need cheap no frills 2.0 audio speakers for only music

Dr._.Hunt

Hi All,
Its my first time posting here and I have been looking for a cheap audio solution for a long time . I have a budget of around 20k only, so I know I shouldn't expect many options. But Ill try my luck here.
My preference in music ranges from a lot of classical (e.g. devil's trill[
], la campanella[
], the smuggler[
]) to some soft music(yiruma -river flows in you[
] ) and also many other types(
a bit more vocal [[https://youtu.be/a2GujJZfXpg]] ) (yes i have flacs for many of those but i dont have any speakers , only headphones)
I have tried my friend's soundtouch 10 but somehow they feel like they alter the audio.
I want something with not too much bass but not lacking either, the word might be accurate base but i'm just a noob. I plan to get some 2.0s for start and later expand on it, when i have the budget.
I am mostly hoping for some bookshelves for now. and I will be using them with only my laptop.
So could you please suggest some that would be perfect for the kind of music I linked above.
I know that good sound is something subjective so i also plan to visit mumbai to check some of the suggestions i get here.

Last edited:
In my opinion you have few very good Options under 20k. in Seperates
1) Boston A26 - Around Rs 15,000/- I am using this speaker - in my opinion it has awesome Value for Money - Great Bass and very good overall performance.
2) Wharfedale Diamond 220 around Rs 19,000/- (a very high rated speaker by AV magazines)
3) Taga Platinum B40 - Priced around 20k - see if you can get a bargain - build wise and specification wise its a excellent speaker.
4) Polk Audio RTiA1 Around Rs 20k

For all these you will need a amplifier - Go for Norge 2060 - Very good value for money amp or Marantz PM5005

Powered speakers for 20k there may not be much options - Thonet & Vander, Taga TAV 500B, F&D 2.0 and Mackie CR5BT (do check reviews before going for these)

Regards

Found this but do your research before finalising - Swans M200A (amazon.in) seems excellent with 5.25" woofer Amazon has some good listings go through it also

As I said before if i have to go for the speaker + dac or speaker + dac + amp route my budget is only around 20k for all of it. I would love to get some norge 2060 but i just dont have the budget for it. What i was thinking is an active speaker and a small dac would be good for starters and later I can add more. Also if anyone know any good shops in Pune for auditioning audio system for my price range please tell that too.

As I said before if i have to go for the speaker + dac or speaker + dac + amp route my budget is only around 20k for all of it.

Thats a tight budget for a decent bookshelf, dac and amp. If you can do some diy it might be possible. What is the source that you have for music ?

I'm sorry @bobbyprajan if I wasn't clear.. what I meant by that was that for the people who are suggesting me to go the route of passive speakers + amp.... I might not be able to do that coz my budget is only 20k.

What is the source that you have for music ? Where are are you planning to play the music from ? PC / Laptop / Mobile / CD Player ?

I was wondering why you need a DAC at all !!!

I didnt read your post in full earlier, sorry about that. Since you are playing from laptop, skip the DAC for now.

Spend 16-18K on speakers. Get a TPA3116D2 board from ebay (preferably one with volume control) or get this this at a slightly more premium. Get a 65W / 90W laptop adapter and you are good to go.

To get better quality from your laptop install ASIO drivers and use a player (like foobar) which can use them.

When you have money to spare, buy a DAC. DACs range from inexpensive to insanely expensive. Buy something which you can afford and is in line with the class of the other components in your audio chain.

The key is to get the best speakers initially because they make the biggest difference to the audio quality and they are expensive to replace often.

I also started with a budget even lesser than yours and built my stuff in bits and pieces. It was a great learning experience for me

A Norge is not going to help you here.. You will also need to buy a DAC, that becomes additional cost, and you would be left with no money for speakers..

I have a budget of around 20k only, so I know I shouldn't expect many options. But Ill try my luck here.

You can easily put together a set-up for <=20K.. An amplifier + 2.0 setup.. Consider chinese amplifier from Aliexpress.com ( SMSL Q5 Pro, FX Audio D802, FX Audio M 180, 200E.. Some of these amplifiers, have support for FLAC/WAV playback, which negates the need of PC too..

These amplifiers come with DAC inbuilt.. Even if imported to India, you may not have to pay more than 10K inclusive of duties..

and I will be using them with only my laptop.

These chinese amps have all the digital inputs.. USB for laptop/PC, digital optical/ co-axial..

I am mostly hoping for some bookshelves for now.

Consider Taga TAV series BS.. A brand new pair for <10K..

i can only suggest jbl lsr305 for best 2.0 i have ever heard you can check my thread below to check its review

https://www.hifivision.com/threads/jbl-lsr305-powered-studio-monitor.69680/

+1 for the JBL LSR 305.

It is also listed at discount below...

https://bhaleraoenterprises-proaudio.in/collections/jbl-professional/products/jbl-lsr305

some dealers are giving discounts to clear old stocks before 31st, so the above price might not hold for long.

You may add a dac later as your budget allows.

Back