Need floorstanders for a friend in 60k

doors666

Hi guys,

A friend of mine is finally taking a dive into the world of hifi. He has purchased a used yamaha AVR and is now looking for floorstanding speakers in a budget of 60k +- 5k. He usually listens to jazz, blues, classic rock, fusion, indian classical music, folk music etc. Source will be a computer and a cheapo dvd player to start with. I am currently out of touch with speaker prices and performance etc, so please recommend a few good speakers in this range for auditioning, he lives in bangalore.

thanx.

Hi:

I would be looking at the outgoing MA RS6 speakers, very refined compared to the others in that price range. Should be around 60-65k or even less.

My other considerations are Quad 22L2, around 70k, and MS Mezzo 6, around 50k.

All the above three speakers are very good for the type of music you stated.

:)

Hi:

I would be looking at the outgoing MA RS6 speakers, very refined compared to the others in that price range. Should be around 60-65k or even less.

My other considerations are Quad 22L2, around 70k, and MS Mezzo 6, around 50k.

All the above three speakers are very good for the type of music you stated.

:)

hi,

do you know if anyone carries the MA RS6. Since these were discontinued a while ago, I believe most of the dealers carry the RX6

Doors

which model s this used AVR..make sure its has enuf power to drive your 60K floorstanders..yamaha AVR s usually pair well with the missions and wharfs..Do audition them by carrying the AVR with you to the shop and let your ears decide for the kind of music you or your friend like..

cheers!!

Last edited:
Doors

which model s this used AVR..make sure its has enuf power to drive your 60K floorstanders..yamaha AVR s usually pair well with the missions and wharfs..Do audition them by carrying the AVR with you to the shop and let your ears decide for the kind of music you or your friend likes..

cheers!!

5.1, 100wpc

The taste of music as specified above literally points to the Europian school of music

I would any day suggest Wharfadale Diamond series 10..6

Instead of a cheap DVD player , go for a good Media player box . These days all content are available in digital format.

Best of Media players from Xstremer , Play on HD from AC ryan are avaialble .

Both are available in bangalore .

Check this out ..

As Vinod Pointed , look for the Quad22L2 , these speakers are very good for the type of music your friend listens, I am seriously auditioning the Quad22l2 and will be buying these in a couple of weeks.

Tharun.

Hi Guys,

We tried a bunch of speakers over time.
MS aviano and mezzo series, B&W 685, dali ikons, ushers. My friend loved the B&W 685, that is till he heard the ushers. Now so far his favourite is X-718, he loved the BE718 a lot more, but its out of the budget.

Unfortunately we havent tried the MA RX6 (or RS6) so far as either one wasnt in stock. Anyone who has tried X718 and RX6 both? Should We try this before purchasing. I somehow dont think its better than x-718, but you never know.

Aviano - didnt like
Mezzo 2 & 6 - liked it but trumped by B&W 685.
685 - great little speakers. too bad about the cost.
KEF floorstanders - cant remember the model, was ok.
Dali Ikon 6 - Didnt like it et al. I suspect it might not be burned in properly. Immediately after the dali we heard the x-718, which came as a breath of fresh air.
X-718 - awesome, easily bettered by be-718, at double the price:)

Who's the quad dealer in bangalore? Would like to try that too.

He probably will buy x-718 within a week unless a better option is there.

Last edited:
I think cmsajith on our forum got his Quad 22l2 in Bangalore, pm him for details.
Doors, with that kind of a budget it would be really good if you can spare 10-15k for a good source, a cd player ideally.

I feel if neither you or your friend are able to decipher deeper details of the quality of sound received at the audition into specific differences, it might be better to invest in more budget solutions for a certain period of a year or so till one is able to decipher the nature and unique qualities in sound. However that's just my perspective as I believe in gradual development of the senses. If you could tell us what you liked in the models you described and what you didnt, it might help us assist you better.

Last edited:
I feel if neither you or your friend are able to decipher deeper details of the quality of sound received at the audition into specific differences, it might be better to invest in more budget solutions for a certain period of a year or so till one is able to decipher the nature and unique qualities in sound. However that's just my perspective as I believe in gradual development of the senses. If you could tell us what you liked in the models you described and what you didnts, it might help us assist you better.

its kinda difficult to describe as the auditions took place over a period of time (about 2-3 months). basically what we remember over these past few months was which ones we liked better. when we heard a set of speakers, we knew which one has better base, midrange and highs,

we heard budget speakers also, but were very clearly able to distinguish between the good and the bad. within 50k, the only two good options we heard were mezzo 2 and 685, but we were looking for something better.

maybe we werent able to pick on specific differences, maybe i just dont know how to describe the diffs, but there was no doubt in our mind as to which speakers we liked better from a given set. and i guess thats what matters. e.g. when we heard dali ikon 6, both of us were just appalled that how come a speaker that is so expensive and is touted as so good can sound so bad... and then we heard the ushers and within 5 seconds we knew that this one is far superior.

Anyway, neither of us is a total newbie. I have an HT for close to 8 years now. He has good headphones and has been playing guitar for close to 20 years....

iaudio:
regarding investing in a good source, well that will have to wait for some time. I am of the opinion that a great speaker with cheap source will out perform an avg speaker with an avg source, keeping the amp same, well most of the time anyway. Anyway, he's planning to get a good sound card in the near future. I dont think a cd player is something that would interest him. PC based music has just too many advantages to spend on a cd player.

Last edited:
its kinda difficult to describe as the auditions took place over a period of time (about 2-3 months). basically what we remember over these past few months was which ones we liked better. when we heard a set of speakers, we knew which one has better base, midrange and highs,

we heard budget speakers also, but were very clearly able to distinguish between the good and the bad. within 50k, the only two good options we heard were mezzo 2 and 685, but we were looking for something better.

maybe we werent able to pick on specific differences, maybe i just dont know how to describe the diffs, but there was no doubt in our mind as to which speakers we liked better from a given set. and i guess thats what matters. e.g. when we heard dali ikon 6, both of us were just appalled that how come a speaker that is so expensive and is touted as so good can sound so bad... and then we heard the ushers and within 5 seconds we knew that this one is far superior.

Anyway, neither of us is a total newbie. I have an HT for close to 8 years now. He has good headphones and has been playing guitar for close to 20 years....

iaudio:
regarding investing in a good source, well that will have to wait for some time. I am of the opinion that a great speaker with cheap source will out perform an avg speaker with an avg source, keeping the amp same, well most of the time anyway. Anyway, he's planning to get a good sound card in the near future. I dont think a cd player is something that would interest him. PC based music has just too many advantages to spend on a cd player.

Cool, as along as you are able to enjoy the difference, thats all that matters.

Doors, a good sound card or DAC would do too.
As far as telling the difference goes, one may not be able to express it as soundstage, detail, sibilance, timing etc, but still can identify what sounds better overall. That is good enough.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back