Need guidance on Samsung TV repair

jarneevan

It appears that my bad luck with Samsung products continues. I bought a 50 inch Series6 TV last Nov for my WFH setup. I have been using it as Monitor.

Since yesterday morning the display started showing 4 horizontal lines at the bottom of the screen. Samsung promptly sent a technician and he confirmed that the display needs to be replaced. He assured that it would be done under warranty.

But I am concerned about the panel replacement work, I am not sure if it would come out neat. Displays are very delicate items and fit and finish may not be the same as what came out of factory.

Are my concerns unfounded or is it reasonable to demand a replacement TV? Would Samsung heed to my request?

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

It appears that my bad luck with Samsung products continues. I bought a 50 inch Series6 TV last Nov for my WFH setup. I have been using it as Monitor.

Since yesterday morning the display started showing 4 horizontal lines at the bottom of the screen. Samsung promptly sent a technician and he confirmed that the display needs to be replaced. He assured that it would be done under warranty.

But I am concerned about the panel replacement work, I am not sure if it would come out neat. Displays are very delicate items and fit and finish may not be the same as what came out of factory.

Are my concerns unfounded or is it reasonable to demand a replacement TV? Would Samsung heed to my request?

I got panel replaced by Sony. Not the TV itself and they did not oblige TV set replacement. Samsung is even more miserly. But then dont worry if panel is replaced and you get any related issues within a short period you can boa constrict them to get it resolved free of cost. You have to talk very assertively.

You won't get a replacement TV, esp if there are none in stock or manufacturing stopped. Stick with the panel replacement, you don't otherwise want to end up with them giving a display piece and washing their hands off. Samsung service is fine for panel replacement imho, just check thoroughly before letting the technicians leave and closing the ticket. New panel will come with additional warranty ensure to validate this. As long as the panel is validated working fine, it shd be OK. Put it through the same usage to test thoroughly. Panel replacements happen all the time and remember customer service in India is shabby so avoid the extra pains of demanding replacement for a 9 month tv as such unless you want the trouble.

Service center folks called and said that they received the panel and it would be replaced today.

But looking at the location of lines on the panel I am concerned that TV being used as monitor may have contributed to the problem. As can be seen in the attached picture, lines on the panel exactly match the location of the Windows Task bar.

I am now worried that if the replacement panel also would meet the same fate. Is it just a coincidence or could there be some link?

Any thoughts anyone? Thanks.

Attachments

• tv_lines.jpg
    tv_lines.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 30
The panel got replaced with a new one. Contrary to what I thought the replacement panel is a fully sealed unit including the bezels. They just removed Motherboard, power board and Speaker units from the old panel and fixed them to the new one. The whole process only took about 20 minutes. It is as good as new.

Also for the first time I am genuinely happy with the after sales service Samsung provided.

Last edited:
Service center folks called and said that they received the panel and it would be replaced today.

But looking at the location of lines on the panel I am concerned that TV being used as monitor may have contributed to the problem. As can be seen in the attached picture, lines on the panel exactly match the location of the Windows Task bar.

I am now worried that if the replacement panel also would meet the same fate. Is it just a coincidence or could there be some link?

Any thoughts anyone? Thanks.
Being a monitor has nothing to do with that - since its not OLED.
Does not seem like a Panel only issue.
Which model TV and size is this?
The lines seem more like a Controller/ Scaler chip fault - atleast it happened long back to my monitor - happened due to heating cooling and something to do with poor "solder quality".

PS: Why not shift task bar to top and see :p

Being a monitor has nothing to do with that - since its not OLED.
Does not seem like a Panel only issue.
Which model TV and size is this?
The lines seem more like a Controller/ Scaler chip fault - atleast it happened long back to my monitor - happened due to heating cooling and something to do with poor "solder quality".

PS: Why not shift task bar to top and see :p
The taskbar has dark grey color and it's constant. I do believe it had a role in the damage to the panel or other HW that control the panel. The panel dispalyed 4 horizontal lines that perfectly aligned with the taskbar.

Out of caution I have now enabled auto hide for the task bar. :)

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back