Need help connecting passive subwoofer to Denon X3700H

rshri

Have been using a very old Onkyo 5.1 HTiB till now. Subwoofer in it is a passive one (as was in most HTiBs). This is how its AVR looks.
P1540554__35041.1611068747.JPG
P1540557__63131.1611068747.JPG

I have upgraded to Denon 3700, will arrive in a day. I am also buying a new active subwoofer but it will be delivered after 2 months. For now I will have to connect my old HTiB speakers with the new AVR. It will be fun to see whether Denon will be able increase sound quality in these speakers. The problem with this plan is Onkyo's passive subwoofer. I can't connect it directly to Denon (I think). So I plan to use old Onkyo AVR as amplifier for this subwoofer and run both AVRs together.

Here is the connection I have in mind. Please check and let me know whether this will work. I hope this doesnt blows up anything. Any settings that I should take care of first before trying this out?
subwoofer.png

Here is the connection I have in mind. Please check and let me know whether this will work. I hope this doesnt blows up anything
That looks correct.
Denon SW preout to sw in(5.1analog in section) of Onkyo which will drive it without an issue.

Concluding this thread by confirming that I tried this connection yesterday and it worked fine without any problems.

Concluding this thread by confirming that I tried this connection yesterday and it worked fine without any problems.
Did you run Audyssey ? I have faced issues with Audyssey with Crown and passive sub. During the initial run, it will report that the sub is too hot and will ask to reduce to under 75 Db. When running all channels, it will inform that the sub is too low. When sub amp volume is raised, audyssey will run fine and then keep the level at -12.

Of course, there are workarounds for this like trial and error for sub amp volume but I found this behavior odd.

Did you run Audyssey ? I have faced issues with Audyssey with Crown and passive sub. During the initial run, it will report that the sub is too hot and will ask to reduce to under 75 Db. When running all channels, it will inform that the sub is too low. When sub amp volume is raised, audyssey will run fine and then keep the level at -12.

Of course, there are workarounds for this like trial and error for sub amp volume but I found this behavior odd.
For me, when sub was first run by Audyssey, it said that sub is too low and asked to increase it to 75 Db. Once that was done, audyssey ran fine and didn't report any problem in tests.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back