Need help deciding on the best HDTV as per my criteria

sumitdipsite2005

Need help deciding on the best 47"-51" HDTV [60K-80K]

Hi Guys,

Have been reading posts in here for the last few days. Have read a lot of suggestions on other posts but i am still confused.

I need some suggestions for
1. a good Full HD TV (be it plasma or LED)
2. Screen size - 47" to 51" approx
3. Budget - 60K-80K approx
4. Anything on top of this such as 3D, smart TV are added benefits but not necessities.

Earlier i was only looking at plasma TV (especially Panasonic VIERA TH-P50S60D & Samsung 51F5500) because i though they would be comparatively cheaper than LED at those sizes, but i don't see much price difference between a 50" plasma and LED TVs, but again i am not a TV expert so there could be stark specification difference between them.

Anyhow, would really appreciate if someone can guide me to the best TV with my above mentioned criteria.

P.S. Edit- as i have an Onkyo home theater that gives me the audio so the only thing that i am looking in the TV is the video factor and very basic audio. So any TV low on the audio front but great on the video front would be still great for me.

Thanks. Cheers,
Sumit

Last edited:
@ your budget, Samsung 51F5500 easily the best... You should be able to get it around 70 ~ 75K max....

I don't think you will be able to find an other LCD-LED tv with similar features & same screen size for the same price....

Thanks Zouresh.

Reg Panasonic S60 (model - TH-P50S60/D) - i cannot find it anywhere as all the shop dealers are saying Panasonic has ceased its production so they are all out of stock. And a few sites online quote it as 86-87K.

Reg Panasonic E6 (model - TH-L50E6D) - is also showing out of stock and priced at 85K.

Am i looking at wrong place for the latest prices and availability?

Thanks elengoas,
you literally read my mind :)
Two quick questions in case i decide on Samsung 51F5500:
1. My Living room is quite windowed. So although i can pull in the dark curtains to make it dark enough for good enough picture quality while watching movies, but the TV is also used by other family members for watching the typical soap operas during the day time in a fairly bright room. Will it be a great inconvenience to them? I have a 32" Sony bravia LED right now, how different will be the viewing experience in this new TV?
2. Approximately how much more electricity consumption happens on a plasma over a LED. The dealer said 50% more. Is that correct? Or is it not a very big determining factor and am i unnecessarily loosing sleep over it!

Thanks elengoas,
1. My Living room is quite windowed. So although i can pull in the dark curtains to make it dark enough for good enough picture quality while watching movies, but the TV is also used by other family members for watching the typical soap operas during the day time in a fairly bright room. Will it be a great inconvenience to them? I have a 32" Sony bravia LED right now, how different will be the viewing experience in this new TV?
2. Approximately how much more electricity consumption happens on a plasma over a LED. The dealer said 50% more. Is that correct? Or is it not a very big determining factor and am i unnecessarily loosing sleep over it!

1) understand your concern... But i don't think it you need to take that as important factor... Family members wouldn't really pick the reflections, but they will be glued to the big screen :eek:hyeah:...Even our old CRT's had reflections against windows....

2) Don't worry abt power factor, my brother owns a 42 inch plasma & the bills were nominal... They was really no big spike in power consumption... Probably 50Rs more a month than your regular bills....

Check the LED range too if other FM pitch in with a comparable model.... But if you like the TV, go for it with extended warrranty...

There are many in this forum who are happy owners of Samsung51F5500...

Thanks elengoas,

do not buy samsung 51f5500 or s60 if you are going to watch tv in a bright room..these two tvs are highly reflective ....they are meant only for dimly lit
bedrooms....wait for a month and there will be lot of 2014 led models from panasonic and sony.....panasonic 50AS650 (2014 model ) is a good option...

check out this link
TX-42AS650B LED - Panasonic UK & Ireland

Just came back from reliance digital.
They didnt had Samsung 51F5500 on display but had a demo of Samsung 51F4900 instead. Priced at 58K. Same TV minus some 3D capability and minus Smart features.

Price of 51F5500 is 76.5K. And with 3 years extended warranty it comes to around 82-83K.

All, please suggest if it would be a good buy at the given price?

Just came back from reliance digital.
They didnt had Samsung 51F5500 on display but had a demo of Samsung 51F4900 instead. Priced at 58K. Same TV minus some 3D capability and minus Smart features.

Price of 51F5500 is 76.5K. And with 3 years extended warranty it comes to around 82-83K.

All, please suggest if it would be a good buy at the given price?

what Reliance digital provides (REs Q) is different from what Samsung gives as extended warranty....

51F4900 is an HD model with 3D capability ; 51F5500 is FHD, 3D + Smart capability...

Best is to get the TV from any store who offers you best price & then take extended warranty from Samsung before your standard warranty expires....

Bought 51f5500 for 70,000/- at Kings Electronics Navi Mumbai. Fantastic picture quality. But the TV gets very hot. Sometimes I can hear some crackling noises from TV. Is this normal?

Took a demo of 51f5500 and if you are going to watch this tv in bright environment avoid it. It has good picture quality but will appear terribly dim if you don't shut all the windows and pull down the curtains. Yes black levels are great and for that reason this is a good Tv to watch in the night with lights off.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back