Need help - Driver not working

Looks to be the voice-coil, no doubts. Bad luck. Have to replace with a new driver here. Anyway, do keep in mind checking on your amplifier too while you get along with the replacement. Without speaker protection built-in the amplifier, instances of DC finding a way to the speakers is quite common for this issue. Good to be prepared for the future.

Maybe you are right, everytime i turn on the amp speakers make a pop sound. However given reputation of AP and Shiva, not sure how likely the amp has issue. Will speak to Shiva on it.

Thanks

Just wanted to inform you that,If indeed the Voice Coil issue and you've decided to replace the driver,there are some things to keep in mind.

One the new driver must of the same Type (offcourse you'll select the same model but that doesn't mean its the same,Batch,year and other things come into picture) cause if its not matched it'll sound differently from the existing one and your sound won't be coherent,I usually in these cases recommend to change both (but Am not sure if you'd be okay shelling out the moolah),In case if choose not change both at least try to get a as close match as possible.

Second the new driver needs break-in to perform optimally.So you have to be little careful and patient about these things,Do not rush into buying or if bought jump into blasting it away

Btw did you contact the person I referred ?? I strongly suggest you do before deciding your next course of action.

Just wanted to inform you that,If indeed the Voice Coil issue and you've decided to replace the driver,there are some things to keep in mind.

One the new driver must of the same Type (offcourse you'll select the same model but that doesn't mean its the same,Batch,year and other things come into picture) cause if its not matched it'll sound differently from the existing one and your sound won't be coherent,I usually in these cases recommend to change both (but Am not sure if you'd be okay shelling out the moolah),In case if choose not change both at least try to get a as close match as possible.

Second the new driver needs break-in to perform optimally.So you have to be little careful and patient about these things,Do not rush into buying or if bought jump into blasting it away

Btw did you contact the person I referred ?? I strongly suggest you do before deciding your next course of action.

Thank you for the pointers. Yes, i had this fear as well that replacing one driver may cause imbalance between the speakers. If I have to but a new driver, definitely not going to rush into it. In fact, if i need to replace i want to check if i can replace them with better drivers in revelator/illuminator series. But for that i need to check with shiva given he know the crossover and if upgrading the driver is advisable.

I have not mailed him yet because i wanted to get the driver checked first for continuity. Will mail him today.

Thank you for the pointers. Yes, i had this fear as well that replacing one driver may cause imbalance between the speakers. If I have to but a new driver, definitely not going to rush into it.

You are welcome, Yes better have a word with Siva.Also check with him perhaps he has some old stock of the driver,If he does then it makes things easy as it would be of the same batch,year,type etc (I seriously hope and think he should have it).

In fact, if i need to replace i want to check if i can replace them with better drivers in revelator/illuminator series. But for that i need to check with shiva given he know the crossover and if upgrading the driver is advisable.

I doubt that'll work as the parameters of the revelator/illuminator will be totally different and would require not only Xover change but also change in speaker box (Difference in VAS and such). But Yes he's the best guy as he'd know better as he has designed it with some consideration on various things.

I have not mailed him yet because i wanted to get the driver checked first for continuity. Will mail him today.

Ok no issues,do and let me know how things go.

Just to provide an update, I have sent both the drivers to Bangalore for a driver 'expert' to check as suggested. It turned out to be the best decision i made.

Turns out that the voice coil is intact :yahoo: and it is some lead connector wire that is cut. Also in the process, it is discovered that the other functional driver was also repaired in the past and was not done with original finish.

The completion of repair and restore to original glory is pending few parts arrival. Am eagerly waiting for them to get back to enjoy my music!

Special thanks to Soundcraft for helping me with the right contact to address my crisis!

Special thanks to Soundcraft for helping me with the right contact to address my crisis!

Am only glad that I could help you,after all that's what the forum is for ;), Help & share knowledge which many have unfortunately forgotten :sad:!!

Please do update as to what is the outcome :)

Hey what's update ?? Got them repaired or what ?? If done please post the pics of the reworked driver and the old one (if you had taken pics).

Also post a detailed report of the sound change (if Any),Any other details you wish to add.

Curious to know how it all is progressing or ended !

Just to provide an update, I have sent both the drivers to Bangalore for a driver 'expert' to check as suggested. It turned out to be the best decision i made.

That is great news. When are the speakers expected to be up and running?

Also, could you share the details of the expert in Bangalore?

Hi All,

Finally the update. I have received the drivers on the weekend of 7th Feb but was busy travelling that i did not get chance to post sooner. The cause for delay is due to waiting for a component (glue) to be used for the driver repair. The expert was very very particular about each of the components as he is a perfectionist. Finally it was worth the wait!

It has been 3months that I heard my speakers so my impressions maybe slightly subjective. I noticed that the sound signature has not changed but everything has become a bit clear. The drivers felt very new and stiff. The bass is more controlled now and the vocals are slightly more clean.

Initially I had mixed feeling as the extended rumble was missing but I was comparing it to other speakers I was listening to regularly in the meanwhile. After few songs, I was in love with the sound all over again. More than any technical analysis of sound, I feel there is always a strong attachment to the music produced. To certain extent we fall in love with the magic produced by our equipment which cannot be taken out of equation. These speakers are my first love and would always be special regardless of any other gear I come across which would be much superior. So it is giving a new life back to them for me.

I am extremely happy with the outcome. Sorry for the long post but I do also need to mention something about the expert. He took a lot of pain, the drivers were collected by his relative and he travelled half way across b'lore to hand them over to my friend. I have not incurred a single penny in cost. He has still not shared even cost of the whole repair as it is only his passion and what matters is am happy with the drivers. I had to insist to atleast pay for the cost and am waiting for it. I can never repay for his kindness, patience (due to my incessant follow up calls) and time. The whole experience has humbled me and left me with more faith in good people all around us.

Once again, thanks a lot Soundcraft!

Once again, thanks a lot Soundcraft!

No need,Great to hear that it worked out.Am only glad that I was of some help to you.

The cause for delay is due to waiting for a component (glue) to be used for the driver repair.

I spoke to him since even after my post there was no reply,It was not the glue but the spider (damper as some call it) which was the cause of the delay and it was to be got from outside of Bangalore and the right type which matched the driver was not available,hence had to wait .

The whole experience has humbled me and left me with more faith in good people all around us.

Yes faith is the key word here,Not everyone will do things for profit !

On a different note,Some pics of before and after or such would've helped us understand the transformation of the same.Also some more in depth opinion on the sound (Am trying to understand how exactly things changed,How close is it now to the original).

Anyways all's well that ends well !

Had the same problem with an 8545-00 last week. Scan Speak used the wrong adhesive to attach the voice coil wires to the back of the cone where they join to the flexible braid leads. This adhesive is corrosive and the wires underneath were completely corroded away leaving a trail of white - grey oxide. To repair the speaker it is necessary to remove the surround and spider to remove the cone so that repairs can be made to the wires from the coil. I was able to use the same spider and surround due to careful removal using a solvent to soften the glue.

I notified Scan Speak and they say they have remedied these problems in new production runs. They haven't said from when the probl;ems have been overcome though.

since yr i chennai call Sugumar - of Dhanasekarn Audio. he deals in high end audio and can probably get it fixed. tell him ashok from kotturpuram sent you... he got the Tannoy tweeter working on my Kensington reference...call 9176068966. he is not cheap but does a good job.

I asked Scan Speak how people could identify the date of manufacture of their drivers and this is the reply I received.

Latest Scan Speak reply on June 29,2023.

"The changes (remedies) were made over a relatively long period of time so there is not only one specific date.
18W/8545-00 had a major update around 2010 where it also changed item number to 18W/8545-01, but since then there has been several minor updates.

Over the years Scan-Speak have used different format of productions codes, in this case PW stands for Production Week and shall be read as week 02 of a year ending with 9 and as I know we changed logo to red/black in 2007 it must be from 1999 or it could also be 1989, but I doubt it is that old."

Since my 18W-8545 is labelled PW 029 it was made in week 2 of 1999. Note also that the babel was blue and black lettering meaning it was before 2007. If Scan Speak is correct the label colour changed to red and black lettering in 2007 so using the above information you should be able get a good idea of when your drivers were made.

In passing, one would think it a far better idea to use 2 digits to indicate the year in the PW code so that the date could be pinned to a specific decade.

Is the 50% off for replacement driver in scanspeak still on? if so, do they allow order for same model driver or we can select a different one as well?

oh! ok. i have read that scanspeak actually provided 50% discount on replacement drivers in some forum (posted by someone who got the replacement). But that thread was a bit old so not sure if it is being done now.

Typically you can expect a 30% discount on drivers if the company is convinced that the damage was not due to abuse. I received a 30% discount on 9 SEAS Excel Magnesium cone woofers/midranges. The magnesium cones are not tropicalised and SEAS had received several complaints from other DIYers in South East Asia. Keep in mind that the drivers had survived 10 years before the corrosion made them unusable.

Got the Driver tested today with multimeter... no continuity! electrician who tested says voice coil must be gone! :sad:

Looks to be the voice-coil, no doubts. Bad luck. Have to replace with a new driver here.

Don't jump the gun. Sometimes it is just that the voice-coil joint has come undone. Do you have a competent driver repair person in your town?

It might still be repairable if it is just the joint (the voice coil is connected to the cone).

Sorry if I am late; I am not active on social media, so do not check forums regularly.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back