Need help fixing burnt capacitors on phono stage

Sushant Sharma

hello fellow memebers
I just bought a pre owned phonostage (it is possibly 10 years old). After using it for 2 weeks i decided to open the phono just out of curiosity and found what I think are ceramic capacitors to be burnt (tagging a photo link along)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tyssaivHlmyh6Jeu2

For reference these are the yellow bottom with charred black top at the front of the photo...From reading up on the internet i see there are different types of capacitors with different values.Cannot read anything on the capacitors.

Would you be so kind as to tell me what precisely is the capacitor type (ceramic or tantulum) and would it be possible to source it from a local electronics guy and solder new ones on? what value to replace it with since nothing on the capacitor is legible.
The phono is still working but i am now scared to plug it back on for fear of further damage.
I will greatly appreciate your help. many thanks

hello fellow memebers
I just bought a pre owned phonostage (it is possibly 10 years old). After using it for 2 weeks i decided to open the phono just out of curiosity and found what I think are ceramic capacitors to be burnt (tagging a photo link along)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/tyssaivHlmyh6Jeu2

For reference these are the yellow bottom with charred black top at the front of the photo...From reading up on the internet i see there are different types of capacitors with different values.Cannot read anything on the capacitors.

Would you be so kind as to tell me what precisely is the capacitor type (ceramic or tantulum) and would it be possible to source it from a local electronics guy and solder new ones on? what value to replace it with since nothing on the capacitor is legible.
The phono is still working but i am now scared to plug it back on for fear of further damage.
I will greatly appreciate your help. many thanks
so upon some further investigation, i have found the value of the capacitors to be 10uf and 25v. they are tarantulum caps.

Can Anyone help with where to buy them?

They arent available locally where i live.

Don't know much about tantalum caps hence can't comment if one is better than the other, but in general caps have their "house sound" or "voicing" in audio applications, so a particular model from a particular manufacturer may be preferred for a particular function in a circuit.

The value 10 uF 25V seems to suggest that the caps in question could be DC blocking capacitors. If that's their use in the circuit, metalized film capacitors like polypropylene are the usual choice, BUT a 10 uF polypropylene (or Teflon or Russian PIO) will not fit in the available space. Owing to space constraints your only choice could be to re-use a similar sized tantalum.

Hi Sushant,

What Joshua said regarding DC blocking cap is the most probable case. You can use any good quality electrolytic capacitor to replace the Tantalums if space permits.

Regards
Bhaskar

I suggest before changing anything, it would be wise to run capacitance and esr checks. This is as the phonostage apparently was working properly until your curiosity got you to open it up :)

In this case, you'd probably want to look at an upgrade, rather than a replacement.

Thanks EVERYONE for your help. Spoke to the good people at Graham Slee and they verified the model and advised to get electrolytic caps instead. Got them soldered onto the phono board and it's working great.
Grateful for all the help and information the forum members provided.

Hi Sushant,

What Joshua said regarding DC blocking cap is the most probable case. You can use any good quality electrolytic capacitor to replace the Tantalums if space permits.

Regards
Bhaskar

Thanks for your advise Bhaskar
Upon advise from the manufacturer of the phono have done what you also suggested in your post. Happy days!!

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back