Need Help in finalizing PS51F5500 Sam Plasma TV : my 4year kid is unable to decide!

rajendra_mba2002

Hi

I am newbie to this forum and to the world of Plasma / LED TVs. In fact, the last 29 Inch LG Flatron that I had - tanked off almost 3 yrs back (picture tube issue). Since then, I never found the need of a TV I watch most of the movies, fav serials on my laptop and my wife, in-laws watch their daily soap on a 19 inch bedroom tv. But now my kiddo is 4 yrs old and I want her to experience the Kids content, animated movies on a large screen.

So, wanted to buy a large screen TV preferably 50 inches+ during Diwali 2013 and hence have been actively reading the articles and reviews on this forum for the past 2 months+.

Upon reading the user experiences and my own demo experience in viewing the same content in Movie mode on both Plasma, LED I am more inclined towards buying a Plasma TV.

My requirements are :

Good Picture quality
Built in Wi-fi
Full HD
Good number of apps / Smart TV features
3D
The TV should last at least for 5 years

Possible TV Watching habits
2 to 3 hrs on weekdays & 6 hrs on weekends
Mostly for Movies (720p / 1080p Rips) and cartoon channels

Initially I was willing to opt for Panasonic 50ST60D : unfortunately, I am yet to get a chance to demo this in Hyderabad.

Yesterday, I happened to demo Samsung PS51F5500 and I kinda liked it.

Especially the price difference seems to be huge between these models (as on 12th Oct 2013)

Panasonic 50ST60D : 3 yrs Manufacturer Warranty, no freebies, Discounted price quoted by the brand shop is INR 113000.

Samsung PS51F5500 : 1 yr Manufacturer warranty, Free BluRay Player, Discounted price quoted by 2 to 3 dealers is INR 67500 (there is an option of taking additional 2 year warranty directly from Samsung by paying an additional INR 5500)

In the next 2 yrs time, I am planning to have a dedicated projector room in our upcoming apartment with a large screen, good audio system and the best Projector I can buy at that time. Hence, for now, I am willing to spend as optimally as possible to get a good picture quality. Maybe, we might watch TV for not more than 2 to 3 hrs in a day.

Having said that here are few areas on which I would need your suggestions & inputs

My current TV room is mildly bright room I can shield with curtains, but would prefer my kid watch TV in a bright environment. Would the PQ of Samsung PS51F5500 be good in this environment? Is it ok for eyes if we watch plasma for 3 hrs+ at a stretch in dark rooms?

In the long run, do kids prefer the bright display of LED or the natural colours of Plasma?
( my 4 yr old kid is unable to make her mind yet). Would the bright display of LEDs strain the eyes?

My in-laws and my wife might prefer to watch their regular SD content on this plasma TV in which case, what are the chances of burn-in / Image Retention in the long run?
(I would try my best to take all possible precautions suggested by just4kix & other members in some of the previous threads but at the same time am wary about the recent plasma issues quoted in this same forum).

Is Samsung PS51F5500 with Free BluRay Player + 1 year warranty a good VFM at INR 67500 : do we have any other models in Plasma / LED that might meet my requirements?

The place where I stay has frequent power cuts and occasional voltage fluctuation : should I buy a stabilizer for this ? If so, which model / brand?

Does Samsung PS51F5500 play avi, mkv, mp4, vob, dat formats?

Is there an option of upscaling the SD content in Samsung PS51F5500?

How effective are the Active 3D glasses in this model? Do they impact the kids eyes if watched for 2 hrs+ at a stretch.

With a hyper active kid at home, should I go for wall mounting? ( for next 1 year we are going to be in a rented apartment)

Is it worthwhile to spend INR 5500 for an additional 2 years warranty (1+2 yrs) or should I opt for INR 8400 for an additional 3 years warranty (1+3 yrs)

Apologies for asking so many questions at one go but this is going to be my major buy in the last few years hence am seeking the opinion of all the experts / 1st hand user experiences. Also, would like to give the best possible TV viewing experience to my kid hence the detailed thought !!!

Am planning to buy this by 19th Oct 2013 in case, any one else at Hyderabad is interested in Samsung PS51F5500, we can go for group buying.

Thank you for all your time & support
- Rajendra

Re: Need Help in finalizing PS51F5500 Sam Plasma TV : my 4year kid is unable to dec

i was in the same confusion, but i really found buying a plasma is a risk. Got panna 50E6D, 79k with 3 year...and m more than happy

Re: Need Help in finalizing PS51F5500 Sam Plasma TV : my 4year kid is unable to dec

First of all Lcd/LED also give natural accurate colors ,its just that in showrooms the settings are bright and unnatural.If they weren't giving accurate or natural colors then lcd should have become extinct considering they are more expensive.

A LCD can be set at low brightness , while consuming low power(important if you run on UPS/Inverter).

If your kid is going to watch cartoons for hrs i would suggest you to look at the LCD/LED.

There is a dedicated 51F5500 owners thread.
Please go through that. You will find most of the answers.

(firstly when I said in the earlier thread that my 4 year old kid wasnt able to decide it was of course pun intended !!! Will ensure that my kid watches not more than 3 to 5 hours in a week !!! )

Thanks to Gauthamnaidu, just4kix, sunilkm & many other members of this awesome forum..based on your inputs and the first hand demo experience, I have finally zeroed in on my first Plasma.!!!

I have purchased PS 51 F5500 on 27th Oct 2013 from Reliance Digital Hyderabad. The delivery is scheduled for 28th /29th Oct.

I have got the Samsung BluRay Player (BD F5100) as a free gift.
The invoice price is INR 67432.51

To top this, I have paid by State Bank card and am told that I would get a 5% cashback within 45 days (reliance digital & StateBank seem to have an exclusive tie-up ).

Definitely happy with the price !!!

Now that this is done, could u please help me in the following
How to check the usage hours in Samsung Plasma PS 51F5500 ?
Should I opt for ResQ (Reliance 2 year Extended Warranty) or Samsung 3 year extended warranty?
- The reliance guys were mentioning that Samsung only provides Free Service during the extended warranty period and will not bear the cost of replacement & component / panel costs.
- Also the reliance guys mentioned that Samsung doesnt cover damages owing to Voltage Surges where as ResQ covers this.

How far is this true? Are those reliance guys just trying to make a ResQ sale? They were offering some 25% discount on the ResQ 2 year extended warranty.

Do we get any discount on the Samsung 3 year extended warranty? What is covered in this extended warranty ? Is there any specific advantage of going with ResQ / Samsung Extended Warranty?

Am planning to go for V Guard Crystal Plus Stabilizer (3 Amps) + Belkin 6-Socket Surge Protector (420 Joule) : will be connecting the Plasma TV + BDP + STB + Audio Speakers + External Hard Drive. Will this suffice or should I go for a level up?

Thank you for all your support & timely help

- Rajendra

(firstly when I said in the earlier thread that my 4 year old kid wasnt able to decide it was of course pun intended !!! Will ensure that my kid watches not more than 3 to 5 hours in a week !!! )

Thanks to Gauthamnaidu, just4kix, sunilkm & many other members of this awesome forum..based on your inputs and the first hand demo experience, I have finally zeroed in on my first Plasma.!!!

I have purchased PS 51 F5500 on 27th Oct 2013 from Reliance Digital Hyderabad. The delivery is scheduled for 28th /29th Oct.

I have got the Samsung BluRay Player (BD F5100) as a free gift.
The invoice price is INR 67432.51

To top this, I have paid by State Bank card and am told that I would get a 5% cashback within 45 days (reliance digital & StateBank seem to have an exclusive tie-up ).

Definitely happy with the price !!!

Now that this is done, could u please help me in the following
How to check the usage hours in Samsung Plasma PS 51F5500 ?
Should I opt for ResQ (Reliance 2 year Extended Warranty) or Samsung 3 year extended warranty?
-The reliance guys were mentioning that Samsung only provides Free Service during the extended warranty period and will not bear the cost of replacement & component / panel costs.
-Also the reliance guys mentioned that Samsung doesnt cover damages owing to Voltage Surges where as ResQ covers this.

How far is this true? Are those reliance guys just trying to make a ResQ sale? They were offering some 25% discount on the ResQ 2 year extended warranty.

Do we get any discount on the Samsung 3 year extended warranty? What is covered in this extended warranty ? Is there any specific advantage of going with ResQ / Samsung Extended Warranty?

Am planning to go for V Guard Crystal Plus Stabilizer (3 Amps) + Belkin 6-Socket Surge Protector (420 Joule) : will be connecting the Plasma TV + BDP + STB + Audio Speakers + External Hard Drive. Will this suffice or should I go for a level up?

Thank you for all your support & timely help

-Rajendra

Awesome purchase.. Congrats on the price too..

I was going towards the reliance Resq for the reasons you mentioned..

Then I decided I'll do more enquiries before choosing.. So it is on hold. As of now..

Have a good time..

And regarding the usage hours.. No one with the smart remote has figured out how..

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back