need help in restoring the old HMV fiesta record player

Posting details of my restored HMV Fiesta. No cosmetic changes have been made, except the platter mat and a little job on the tone arm. Electronically, it has been modified, esp. the amp section.

View attachment 10635
The player is on duty:

View attachment 10636
Note the changed electronics and the power supply.

View attachment 10637
Simple 12V DC Power supply.

View attachment 10638
The 2 X TBA 810 stereo cassette player's kit

View attachment 10639
The cap across the tonearm leads which helped attain proper equalisation. Not sure of RIAA.

Thanks,
Saket

From where did you get a replacement turntable mat?

From where did you get a replacement turntable mat?

Its a DIY. Its a thin insulating foam, grey in color. I had to cut it in a circular shape and later skimmed out the central circular part.

Looks good, but do you think it would result in muddy sound? I haven't noticed that but may be some decrease in bass. Not sure, but would like to have your expert comments on it.

Regards,
Saket

Its a DIY. Its a thin insulating foam, grey in color. I had to cut it in a circular shape and later skimmed out the central circular part.

Looks good, but do you think it would result in muddy sound? I haven't noticed that but may be some decrease in bass. Not sure, but would like to have your expert comments on it.

Regards,
Saket

Honesly I think solid rubber is the better option but I am interested to know how you cut the inner and outer circles to get a good cosmetic piece.

Honesly I think solid rubber is the better option but I am interested to know how you cut the inner and outer circles to get a good cosmetic piece.

The main piece, the bigger one, was cut using a plastic lid of a kitchen container which is just a tad smaller than the platter. The inner piece was skimmed off using a small bowl. :D
Just placed these on the foam and ran a knife blade with their support. Came off nicely.

Could not source a solid rubber, hence used foam.

I like neat and clean work so pardon me but here is quick and very very dirty work of few upgrades. An afternoon put to good use. :D

hmvfiesta.jpg

1) Transformer and rectifier for Phono Preamp
2) Ready RIAA Phono Module
3) Tripath TA2022 Module
4) 8 Ohms 15W TV Speaker :p

Sound is fantastic. If anyone is planning to keep such players, would highly recommend upgrading phono pre and amp section. And speaker if possible.

Regards

Sound is fantastic. If anyone is planning to keep such players, would highly recommend upgrading phono pre and amp section. And speaker if possible.

Regards
Nice Job Hiten. Today's project?
Would be great if you could share the cost of the upgrade too, esp 2 & 3 components.:)

Regards,
Saket

Thanks saket & reuben.
Yes it is today afternoon work. Nothing serious, little audio fun and joy as I already had phono pre and amp. As for cost. Transformer, rectifier and caps approx. Rs.150. Transformer has 12-0-12 output. used only one side. It vibrates when switched on. Tightened the laminates with monkey plier, little ok but quality is not good. Phono Modules approx. Rs. 800 per piece bought from e b a y. For some strange reason Indian Post decided to put Rs. 471 duty on them. Tripath amp is from ArjenHelder, who has good buyer feedback. Supply to Tripath amp is 12v Laptop Power supply. Which costs around Rs. 250. Speaker is borrowed from a friend's electronic shop.

offtopic : Heard famous Tripath on regular two way speakers long back. Clarity is very good. Has little difficulty when loud low range peaks play. Will need sensitive speakers. Something wrong with upper range too. Will check with quality speakers. Not high end amp but good value for money.
regards

hai Saket,
Great work

i have the same player
the table is rotating
and the rpm is ok ,the needle is fine
but no audio output
some wires on the ckt board are detached.

please provide me a clear snaps of the connections of all the ckt board so that i can restore my dad's old record player.

thanks

Last edited:
hai Saket,
Great work

i have the same player
the table is rotating
and the rpm is ok ,the needle is fine
but no audio output
some wires on the ckt board are detached.

please provide me a clear snaps of the connections of all the ckt board so that i can restore my dad's old record player.

thanks

Thanks vramana. If you have read my posts in detail, you must be knowing that the player in not having the stock circuit in it. Hence, that wiring schema may not be of much help to you. If you want to have the circuit diagram of the original fiesta kit, it is in the 60th post on the following link:
http://www.hifivision.com/phono-tur...restoring-old-hmv-fiesta-record-player-6.html

If this does not help, I will post a picture from my other fiesta which has the same kit.

Regards,
Saket

HI,
I have a HMV Fiesta TT. The belt appears to have snapped off. Is this fixable? I would need the help of you guys. I am in Bangalore. Is there a place in Bangalore where this can be fixed?

Regards,
Siva.

HI,
I have a HMV Fiesta TT. The belt appears to have snapped off. Is this fixable? I would need the help of you guys. I am in Bangalore. Is there a place in Bangalore where this can be fixed?

Regards,
Siva.

Belt drive Fiesta? :confused:
Can you post the pictures of the worn out part?

I will get the picture and post that here. This was informed by a service engineer and I had not seen the worn out part myself.

Fiesta is a very simple machine, both electronically & mechanically. If you are even 1% into DIY thing, you can service the player yourself. I think what you are talking about is the idler and not the belt. I don't think any fiesta model came belt driven.

Last edited:
+1 to that, HMV never sold any belt drive record players in India. All their record players were idler based. But they did have a direct drive model with the EMI Sonic badge (probably a re-badged Pioneer or another Japanese Mass market turntable)

Dear Abhishek,

Do let me know if you were able to restore the HMV FIESTA turntable, and whether u could get any Shops selling spare parts. I too also have SAME MODEL of turn TABLE HMV FIESTA from my FATHER and currently i require the stylus/ needle assembly.

Please do let me know.

my mail id [email protected]

phn no: 9874772244

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back