need help on Indian classical lps

prem

I would like to build a small collection of Indian classical lps. I am pretty clueless as to which Indian classical lps i should start with. Ideally i would like to start with something in sitar, flute, violin or santoor. To start with i would not like something heavy. At present i only have Call of the Valley. Pretty light stuff but nice.

prem,

Unfortunately there are no new releases or reissues in this genre (as you surely know).

Try the usual suspects: Ravi Shankar (a lot of vinyl releases both in India and abroad), Nikhil Banerjee (a few recorded abroad, I have one from Chhandadhara, quite good recording) and Vilayat Khan (mostly done in India). If possible get the Darbari Kanara LP (recorded in India) by Vilayat. Side B of this LP contains some of the best music I have ever heard.

Regards.

Hi Prem,
I would suggest try and find if you can following vinyls from EMI. Actually they are set of three lps each and there are three sets. One is called raaga moods , the other is called great artistes great melodies and I think third one is also Raaga moods. In these 9 lps you will get wide variety of music from various people and very good recording.
Thanks.

If possible get the Darbari Kanara LP (recorded in India) by Vilayat. Side B of this LP contains some of the best music I have ever heard.

Very true. It was my luck that I could listen to this Darbari Kanara LP of Ustad Vilayat Khan Sahab along with Asit in his home during my last visit at Kolkata. We were mesmerised and speechless for a while.

Indian Classical are real treasure trove.

Recently, I could collect 'Three Ragas' by Pandit Ravishankar from Delhi used market. It is from 'Capitol' record label with Chaturlal in Tabla and Pradyot Sen in Tamboura. Three Ragas are Raga Jog, Raga Ahir Bhairav and Raga Simhendra -Madhyamam. I could not listen the record yet as I don't have TT till now.

Also got West Meets East vol 1, 2 and 3 by Yehudi Menuhin and Pandit Ravi shankar. Although, it is not pure Indian Classical.

In my search list are Ali Akbar Khan, Nikhil Banerjee.

Thanks Asit, will look for Darbari Kanara. Does any specific Ravi Shankar come to mind?

Mahiruha, where did you get these lps?

Santosh, saw the ad but i would only be interested in 4 or 5 lps in that set. And Hiten is selling it as a set.

Amitnoida, Ravi Shankar with Yehudi Menuhin is on my list.

"i would like to start with something in sitar, flute, violin or santoor"

Add Sarod too in this list. Fab stuff available @ Ustad Amjad Ali Khan.

prem,

Actually the Darbari Kanara LP belongs to Pratim, so I do not have it with me at the moment. But it is a LP containing only one raga (darbari kanara) on 2 sides. On side A, the alaap part without tabla, and side B contains the rhthmic part with tabla.

Santosh,

Thanks a lot for the link. Just sent a PM to Hiten. I'd like to have them all. I only hope nobody else wants them. I spend so little time on the forum usually that I completely missed this.

Regards

Sorry just saw this thread.

Santhosh : Thanks for the kind words.
Asitda : Replied to your PM. few more members are interested in vinyls. Kindly give me time will decide as early as possible.
Prem : Sorry have to sell as a lot.
First of all a confession I don't understand finer details of indian classical but I listen to them. Will check out the details of the one I have and post. For sitar I liked Ravi Shankar self titled vinyl in my current for sale list. it has 4 to 5 beautiful pieces of composition on both sides, but as I have few other compositions of Ravi Shankar in other vinyls I am letting it go. for santoor 'Call of the valley' though sounds good, there are two Shiv Kumar Sharma's albums which I find very likable will check the album names and post.
Regds.

Thanks Hiten. I understand you needed to sell the complete set. Hence did not respond.

I would like to build a small collection of Indian classical lps. I am pretty clueless as to which Indian classical lps i should start with. Ideally i would like to start with something in sitar, flute, violin or santoor. To start with i would not like something heavy. At present i only have Call of the Valley. Pretty light stuff but nice.

Also look at the vocal recital by Prabha Atre. I was fortunate to get her LP in the used market at Kolkata in a very good condition. Recording is very good.

Few Instrumental titles which I like are ...
1) Pt. Hariprasad Chaurasia (Flute Fantasy/Raga Hemavati, Des )
2) Devendra Murudeshwar (Flute Raga Kedara, Jhinjoti)
3) RaagRang (A tapestry of Indian Classical Instrumental Music)
This could be a must have as it has Ravi Shankar, Ali Akbar Khan, Vilayat Khan, Bismillah Khan, Shiv Kumar Sharma, Hari Prasad Chaurasia)
4) Bismillah Khan (Bhairavi, Shyam Kalyan EASD1373)
As not much of a shehnai fan this is the only one I have as most others I have not liked.
5) Shiv Kumar Sharma (self titled ECSD2229)
6) Shiv Kumar Sharma (The heavenly sound of Santoor)
again some shiv kumar sharma are considered rare like 'purple and gold' and 'melodies of romance' but I have not liked them.
I mostly like to keep artist albums which they produced when they were aspiring and young.
Regards

prem,

As far as I know, Vilayat Khan had 3 vinyl recordings of Darbari Kanara with 2 or 3 different tabla accompaniment. The one I am talking about most probably had Shankar Ghosh (father of Bikram Ghosh) as the tabla player. I have to find out from pratim. I will find out the name of the album from pratim. The other recordings may not be as good, because I believe those were later recordings, and done at a time when the maestro perhaps was past his best times. The blind fans of Vilayat Khan may not agree to this though.

Regards.

Thanks Asit. Will wait for your reply.
Hi Mahiruha, thanks, i think i need to visit Calcutta to complete my Hindi collection.

Hi Asit.

Got the name. Its called the Supreme Genius of Vilayat Khan. Now need to track it down.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back