Need help regarding the Marantz 5002 A/v Receiver.

Rohit Verma

Hi, I Have Marantz 5002 A/V Receiver. As of now I do not have a Subwoofer. Therefore, I only left with 5.0. I already have Denon PMA-700AE Integrated Amplifier, which gives a power of 2 x 85 W (4 Ohm). The question I want to you ask you guys is that, Can I use my front Right and Left speakers for better base and thump by connecting an external Power Amplifier (Denon 700 AE). My Front Speakers have 2 Bass drivers 8" 200mm and power of 25-250W, Frequency 30-24k @ -6dB, Crossover 250, 4.5k, Frequency Fb 40Hz and a Sensitivity of 90db with an Impedance of 6 ohm. By connecting with the above option, would it enhance the base and fill the absence of Subwoofer a little. Your response would be highly appreciated, Thanks.

Hi!!

No matter how much more power you induce in your floorstanders...it will never replace a Sub. Every eqipment is designed to work in a specific frequency range. The lower frequencies are handled by the sub and can not be met by floorstanders.

Now coming to your question: You want to use the pre-out of your front LR on your SR5002 connect them to your integrated denon 700AE. The speakers will definitely get more power in this case and could sound louder/better.

But, I am not sure if your receiver will let you use pre-outs for the fronts and remaining> center and surrounds from receiver. Since, you have all the eqiupment, why don't you try and find out. And, share the results with us.

Sumit

The Marantz does have a methodology by which you can pump some of the low frequency signals to the front speakers. It also has pre-out for all the 8 channels.

(1) In Speaker Setup, set Subwoofer to NONE. Set Front Speakers to LARGE
(2) Using RCA cables, connect the front L&R to any RCA input (say AUX) of your PMA-700AE.
(3) Connect a out from the PMA-&00AE to the Front L&R speakers.

Now power both your AVR and the amp, and do a test run. You should get a good portion of the low frequencies from the Front L&R.

Remember, as in all AVRs, LFE signals during playback of Dolby Digital or DTS, will be played through the sub woofer only. Can you beat this? To a limited extent only.

Marantz has something called BASS MIX. Remember, Bass Mix will work only when you set the Front L&R as LARGE, and the sub woofer as YES. These settings have effect only during playback of PCM or stereo sources.

According to the manual, the various settings of Bass Mix has the following results.

• When BOTH is selected, the low frequencies will be played through the main L&R, as well as the sub woofer. In this playback mode, the low frequency range expand more uniformly through the room, but depending on the size and shape of the room, interference may result in a decrease of the actual volume of the low frequency range.
  • By selecting MIX, the low frequencies will play through the main L&R ONLY.

Try these out and let us know what happens.

Cheers

Venkat, that was very very useful and I plan on trying that out with my 4001. I will not say I comletely understood that part about connecting the fronts with the RCA cables. But I will try and read it again and reflect upon it with the amp nearby to see if something sparks in my brain.

Sorry, there was a mistake in my posting.

The statement

(2) Using RCA cables, connect the front L&R to any RCA input (say AUX) of your PMA-700AE.

should read as follows:

(2) Using RCA cables, connect the front L&R preouts to any RCA input (say AUX) of your PMA-700AE.

Sorry for error.

Cheers

Dear Sir
I wish to thank you for sharing your knowledge with the members of the hifivision forum.
I am looking for a home theatre system which can also do justice to music.
I auditioned Jamo 406(?) 5 channel set up with the Denon AVR1508. The sub connected was Rave-12".
My budget constrains me to spend no more than 40k.
As per the Denon manual, it is possible to hook up a 5.1 set up in zone 1 and a two channel setup in zone 2 to the Denon.
My question is: if I were to connect a JBL 12" bass tube to the stereo zone 2, and take its input from the .1 part of the zone 1, will it work to power the JBL bass tube if I were to playback zones 1 and 2 simultaneously?
Is it even possible to play back the two zones simultaneously?
Could it possibly damage the Denon Receiver?

If this fails I'll have to look at the Denon DHT390 package(35k).

Sorry for using this thread, but I have been trying to trace Venkat_cr desperately.

Thanks for your time and attention.
Awaiting your help.

As per the Denon manual, it is possible to hook up a 5.1 set up in zone 1 and a two channel setup in zone 2 to the Denon.
My question is: if I were to connect a JBL 12" bass tube to the stereo zone 2, and take its input from the .1 part of the zone 1, will it work to power the JBL bass tube if I were to playback zones 1 and 2 simultaneously?
Is it even possible to play back the two zones simultaneously?
Could it possibly damage the Denon Receiver?

You can play Zone 1 as a 5.1 and Zone 2 as a 2.0 simultaneously, as long as the sources are different. For example, your wife can watch a movie in Zone 1 played from a DVD, while you can listen to music played from a CDP in Zone 2.

If you browse through the manual, you have to connect the Back (or REAR) L&R terminals to the Zone 2 speakers.

Please remember, Zone 2 is stereo or 2.0 only. There is no sub out. Though you can physically connect the Point 1 to a sub in Zone 2, what you will get is the LFE output of Zone 1, NOT Zone 2. The Denon 1508 does not output any LFE channel for Zone 2.

Unless you want to listen to the soothing sounds of a Sarod intermxied with Arnold's deep voice saying 'I will be back', it does not make sense.

As I said, you can power and play the two zones simultaneously, but with different sources. You cannot play a single music or DVD and expect to hear that in both zones. The source assigned for Zone 2 will have to be different from the one assigned for Zone 1.

Sorry for using this thread, but I have been trying to trace Venkat_cr desperately.

You can always send me a PM. If you type 'ven' in the id block and wait for a bit, all names starting with 'ven' will come up.

Cheers

BTW, What Sumit said in his reply...
No matter how much more power you induce in your floorstanders...it will never replace a Sub. Every eqipment is designed to work in a specific frequency range. The lower frequencies are handled by the sub and can not be met by floorstanders
... is absolute rubbish.

Subwoofers are a relatively modern development and low frequency response has been around long before they came into the home cinema market. Subwoofer is in fact a misnomer because by definition a woofer should handle frequencies down to 'approximately 20hz which is more or less the lower limit of human hearing (depending on who, and how old you are).

Sub woofers were introduce primarily to fill the void of low frequency response the more inexpensive speakers were incapable of delivering when home cimema was introduced. Becuase they 'supposedly aleady had woofers in there exisiting setup (albeit inadequate ones) The term "subwoofer" was coined as some sort of suppliement to the existing speaker system. Those with a decent (better quality) setup didn't suffer from his low frequency response, so didn't have the subwoofer requirement... and tended to wonder what all the fuss was about.

At any rate, the typ of speaker system you have is irrelevant. what is more of a concern is the frequency response of your system, the quality of the sound, and in the case of low frequencies, the LEVEL or amplitude of sound that can be produced by your system. If you have speakers - floor standing or otherwise - that are capable of delivering the full range of requencies and at the level of inteisity you require such that you get the bone shattering earthquake feeling when the alien spaceship lands... forget about subwoofers.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back