Need Help: Self-assembled PC not booting up.

I hope you tried without any sticks as well ... like I told you ... you would not get anything on display with no RAM but CPU fan should respond.

Yup, I did try it without the RAM on the mobo.

get me the snap of what n how is connected , can you.... possible...???

Time for me to give up: I'm afraid that the way things are with my work and personal life nowadays, I don't have time to try more stuff. I'll RMA the board next week. I too think the chances of the board being faulty are higher than the processor being faulty.

I'll update the thread with progress.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, folks! :)

^^ .... mmmmmm too bad things didnt work out .... its hard to trouble shoot like this, specially hardware issues, s/w issues you still can take remote and try the stuff. Anyway do an RMA if that suits your personal life ...... update the result ... :)

An update:

Today, I took the motherboard to the Rashi Peripherals office (they are the authorised service providers for Asus Motherboards here). They checked the motherboard, and there is nothing wrong with it. The tech guy there put in a core i3 2100 processor and a stick of RAM and got it to boot properly with no issues.

I got back to the office and assembled the computer all over again, just in case. But it still doesn't work.

It looks like the processor is the culprit here. I've eliminated everything else now. I'll take it to the Intel authorised service center tomorrow (if they are working tomorrow). Maybe I'll take the whole CPU over, so I can see if another i3 2100 processor can fix things right there.

^^ Even if the processor is at fault, the processor fan should start, as its connected to the mobo, unless the fan has as well gone corrupt (so very rare scenarios we have here :) ), .... anyway good to see some progress ....

If you have eliminated the power supply, the cabinet power switch and reset switch then there is a fair bit of chance that the processor is dead because power led on motherboard is glowing. Would help if you could find a similar socket 1155 processor and tried to boot it off the same motherboard.
I am sorry for your trouble though

Thanks, @sam9s and @vaibhavyagnik!

The problem has been solved. :)

Now don't flame me, the culprit was the power supply. I don't know why my regular office PC's PSU did not work when I used it in the new PC. Probably because the old PSU has a 4-pin CPU-power connector and the new motherboard needs an 8-Pin CPU-power connector, and probably because I fitted the 4-pin connector in a wrong way or something. Clumsy me :eek:

Today evening, I got (= armtwisted) a friend to come over with the CPU of his newish machine, based on the Core i3 2100 processor (same as mine). I installed his processor on my board and the problem persisted -- no startup. Needless to say, I was very frustrated. Since I had a fully working donor PC in my hands (I must thank my friend for letting me butcher his new build), I started swapping out stuff one by one, onto my PC. First I tried the RAM, and then I tried the PSU. My PC started right after the PSU was swapped. Problem solved.

I've got in touch with theitdepot about warranty support on the Corsair PSU. They will probably call me tomorrow with the required info (I called them pretty late). I googled around, and it seems Kaizen, the people who support Corsair in India, have an office in my city, and if various statements I saw here and there are to be believed, they have what is called an "express" replacement policy. I think I'll try them out tomorrow, if I can manage to get out of the office.

Thank you again, everybody, for all the suggestions and help! :)

My experience with kaizen mumbai (lamington road) is pretty good. My VX450 died on me after 1 year. took it to them, No bill required, no questions asked, i got a call from them in 7-8 days to collect it. (they were going to courier it to me but since my location was not servicable by their courier, they asked me to collect it)

Now don't flame me, the culprit was the power supply. I don't know why my regular office PC's PSU did not work when I used it in the new PC. Probably because the old PSU has a 4-pin CPU-power connector and the new motherboard needs an 8-Pin CPU-power connector, and probably because I fitted the 4-pin connector in a wrong way or something. Clumsy me :eek:

No flaming promise, BUT if you remember I asked you to provide me the snap of bare min connection with PSU, proc and ram. If you had I might have spotted the missing/wrong connection. As somewhere I mentioned its very very very rare that one gets a corrupt mobo or proc, its almost always either the bad PSU or connections. Then may be the RAM, but Mobo or Proc, rare very rare .....

Anyway it nice to know and hear that the problem has finally been solved..... its always these experiences that makes one learn the mistakes and perfect them from there on ..... enjoy the PC now .... :)

Now don't flame me, the culprit was the power supply. I don't know why my regular office PC's PSU did not work when I used it in the new PC. Probably because the old PSU has a 4-pin CPU-power connector and the new motherboard needs an 8-Pin CPU-power connector, and probably because I fitted the 4-pin connector in a wrong way or something. Clumsy me :eek: ...
Excellent!

Now go out and buy yourself a basic multimeter :)

I know there are a confusion of wires coming out of that thing, but could have been a great help to you to determine voltage-or-no-voltage on day one. No, I've never done it on a PC CPU ...but I would. Drawing a big diagram with the pin numbers might be a good start, particularly if you are not too clear with colours, and would also give you something to note down the voltages on.

What's more, they are really useful for checking batteries! :cool:

Thanks, @gobble, @vaibhavyagnik, @ukjeyaraj, @sam9s and @thad :)

Yes, sam9s, I've definitely learnt a lot from this. More than just learning from the PSU fiasco, I now know a lot more about the stuff I should be careful of while building a PC, and about how to identify problem-sources.

@thad, yup, I think I should get myself one. Would have saved me a lot of heartburn and time, if I had one with me. I don't know how to use one :eek: but there's always YouTube, heh, heh. I learned most of what I needed to know about building the PC that way.

To update, I gave the PSU at the local Kaizen office for replacement today afternoon. Like vaibhavyagnik mentioned earlier, they asked no questions and did not need the original bill/invoice. They said that the PSU would be sent to Bangalore today, and that I could expect to get a replacement by courier in 7-10 days. Fair enough. :)

Looking forward to hearing about the finished, working build.

Nice response from Kaizen ... but I wonder what ITDepot would have done. Probably the same, or told you to do what you did, in fact, do. But, recent purchases there, they have impressed on me that they will handle warranty issues, I don't have to go to the manufacturers. Haven't been able to test it yet, though. Hope I don't have too!

Strictly speaking, theitdepot should be handling this, as the item came DOA. I did speak to them and I also emailed them about this. They suggested that I call the Corsair toll free number for the replacement. In this particular case it was more convenient for me to handle the replacement myself, locally, as I really didn't want to pack and send the PSU back to theitdepot myself.

I do understand that their support can only be limited as I am in a different city. For people in Chennai, they definitely should be handling the replacement/repair within the warranty period. I think they do handle it that way, as the telephone support lady mentioned this when the MSI motherboard in my Music PC kicked the bucket.

They also have excellent pre-purchase and post-purchase telephone support. This is one of the main reasons I've been generally sticking to buying stuff from them, though the prices are slightly on the higher side on their website. They also pack the items very well, and they have a reasonably good range on the website (though not all items maybe in ready stock).

That's nice to know. A member had a bad experience, buying a case from them a few months ago, although it was resolved. My impression in the shop is that it is not just sales talk, but they are willing to help, after the sale as well as before.

This is closer to something that I have felt should be the guiding rule of retail since I read it in about 1969: A sale is not made until the customer comes back to buy again. It is recurring business that counts, not today's takings.

I got the replacement SMPS from Corsair just now. Very good service. I'd given the SMPS for replacement in Kaizen's Kochi office on the 7th. They sent it to Bangalore the same day. The Bangalore office sent a replacement to me by courier on the 9th.

The local office called me today afternoon to check if it had been delivered to me yet. That is when I got to know that the courier guys in my area had been sitting on the package since the 12th. I just picked it up from them.

I'll be setting up the PC in another couple of hours or so, once I'm done with my work for today :)

Excellent news: congratulations on the new baby :D

Very frustrating when that mouth-watering pile of components that you expect to be a mouth-watering PC in a couple of hours turns into a project that takes weeks. On the plus side, you learnt a lot more about fault finding...

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back