Need help/suggestions for setting up my two channel setup

vivek.saikia

Hi All,

I think I am finally ready to set up a decent 2 channel setup and would like to get some suggestions from my forum friends.

I have been struck by the tube magic lately and would like to set up a tube based system within the next 2-3 months.
I will mostly go for a tube integrated amplifier (No hybrids) and high efficiency bookshelf speakers.

As of now my budget is ~$1000 for the amp and $1500 for the speakers or total budget is $2500 between the two.
Needless to say, I want the best bang for my money and would like to get the best performance possible within my budget. Having said that, I am also open to used equipment as well, provided they deliver (I am not very brand conscious).

For the amp, I have almost finalized upon the Dared i30 amp due to the following features -

1. Good reviews online
2. Integrated USB DAC
3. Dual Voltage setting for 110V or 230V operation.
3. Good power rating
4. Good Headphone section (I can get rid of my desktop tube headamp)

However, I am open to any suggestions which our experienced forum members would like to offer.

Regarding speakers, It has been hard and I am not been able to make up my mind.
I have come across a lot of options in my budget range but it is not possible for me to audition all of them and hence have to rely on online reviews.

Regarding my speaker preferences, I like the sound of horns and TLs. Infact, I love the sound of my DIY TL speakers which just uses two 2Inch BMR drivers on each channel with no crossovers. I have to say, I just love the way these speakers brings out the vocals without sounding boxy or compressed.
I would have loved to make my own full fledged high end DIY TL speakers, but due to limited access to power tools/workshop, I cannot think of making one right now. So, I am at the mercy of the speaker manufacturer's design and voicing. I love speakers which disappear into space creating a huge soundstage and depth. I can live with lesser bass but cannot stand mid bass hump and boominess in the sound. Also, I am allergic to sibilance and like smooth highs. I prefer the midrange to be as natural as possible.

With all these considerations in mind, I have zeroed in into the following speakers -

1. Shengya V218 Wood Horn Monitors The very fact that these are horn based is making me incline towards them. With the current clearance going on, dropping the price to just $760 from $1900, is making me bite the bullet. The online reviews are also good and they also received some good reviews during the 2010 CES

2. Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 - These speakers have some good reviews online and they look great.

3. Used Monitor Audio GX100 Gold Monitors from Audiogon - Good reviews and the Ribbon tweeter!!

4. Used REVEL M-22 from Audiogon

5. Sonus Faber Concerto - The looks alone makes me go for this speaker. Huge WAF!!

6. Used Sonus Faber Toy Monitor - I think they will have huge WAF

7. Used Usher X718 - They look great and are build like a tank but I have heard that they are bit power hungry and bit concerned if a tube amp can drive them adequately.

So, as you can see I am very much confused on the speaker selection and right now feeling like a kid in a toy store unable to decide on which toy to buy.
So, I need the help of you all in helping me select the best one for me for my requirements.

I want to get this right this time and atleast don't want't to upgrade for another 3-4 years.

As for the source, Currently, I am thinking of using my laptop/Android PC (makeshift arrangement) as the source, paired with the Dared i30 inbuilt DAC.
So, right now I am not concentrating on the source much and would like to go gradually up the ladder.
In future, I am planning to buy a nice turntable (which will be another quest).

Please help this poor soul in distress and provide your valuable suggestions/advices.

Thanks!
Vivek

Last edited:
My quest for the tube integrated amplifier ended as I finally ordered the Dared i30.
The search for the speakers is still on.

Appreciate any help/suggestions on choosing the right speakers.

How about getting this kit and go with DIY.

Continuum, Pr

I would have loved to go the DIY route but due to lack of time and resources, I'll have to go with the branded ones.

If the kit includes the cabinets then it is still manageable but building a cabinet from scratch will not be feasible for me right now. Also need a bit of WAF.

whats going to dictate being a good system is what sounds good to your ears. since you've already bought the amp, its the speakers that you need to zero in on. each of those speakers will have its own sound signature. they will not necessarily be good or bad, but the sound must suit what your ears like and also what pairs well with the amp. the only sure shot way to decide on a good setup will be to audition the speakers.

I would have loved to go the DIY route but due to lack of time and resources, I'll have to go with the branded ones.

If the kit includes the cabinets then it is still manageable but building a cabinet from scratch will not be feasible for me right now. Also need a bit of WAF.

I think that site offers both stand alone kits as well as kits with cabinets. Check it out.

Last edited:
whats going to dictate being a good system is what sounds good to your ears. since you've already bought the amp, its the speakers that you need to zero in on. each of those speakers will have its own sound signature. they will not necessarily be good or bad, but the sound must suit what your ears like and also what pairs well with the amp. the only sure shot way to decide on a good setup will be to audition the speakers.

That's where the problem is....auditioning speakers.
Most of the speaker I mentioned in my original post are not available locally for an audition. I have to heavily rely on the online reviews. My sound preferences are mention in my original post.

The Dared i30 tube amplifier arrived today.
This thing is very very heavy at 13kg.

I connected my HiFiMan HM601 to it and started my listening session on my Sennheiser HD 600. I noticed immediate improvement over my Bravo Audio Ocean tube amp. The clarity of this amp is much better than Bravo.
Having said that, the Bravo Audio Ocean is by no means is of lesser quality. It is really a feat for Bravo Audio to come up with that amp in that price range.
Initially, the highs had a little bit of edge to it but after about 30 mins, the sound became superfluous and very smooth.
The amp runs very hot and I was initially worried if anything is burning but realized that it is class AB and the temperature is normal.

After running the amp for about 2 hours, I connected my DIY speakers to it. Even with my DIY speakers, the improvement in the sound over my T-Amp (with Tripath 2020 chip) was very much clear. The sound is very well defined and the highs are very clear and smooth. I can only imagine how good it will sound with some good speakers.

The USB DAC of the amp is also quite decent and it worked perfectly with my laptop running Ubuntu, my Samsung Galaxy S3 and even my Tronsmart CX919 Android TV!

Now, I cannot wait to get my hands on a pair of nice bookshelf speakers. Suggestions are most welcome.

I am very much satisfied with this amp as of now and I think this is the best amp I have owned till now.

Adding a few more speakers to my list -

8. HSU research HB-1 MKII - Very good reviews online and the price is nice.
They also have a 2.1 combo offer -
Value 1 Packages

9. Usher S520 - I have heard these speakers around 3 years back and I loved the midrange and highs. The bass was deep but not very overwhelming.
Hi Vivek, am also interested in these 2 options. How are you planning to get them down to India? Congrats on the amplifier purchase, it looks great

Hi Vivek, am also interested in these 2 options. How are you planning to get them down to India? Congrats on the amplifier purchase, it looks great

Hi indialogue,
I am planning to use the transfer of residence facility whenever I plan to relocate back to India.
I would mostly book a container service and will bring almost all my household items to India.

After much introspection, I finally decided to go ahead with the Usher S520. I have auditioned these speakers before and was extremely pleased with the soundstage, mids and the highs. The lows were also very clean and well articulated without any mid bass hump.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back