Need help to buy my 1st 5.1 home theater

tushar.uk

Good morning experts!
It's Tushar!
After lots of confusion, I found this place which I am confident will guide me with best options.
I am planning to buy my 1st 5.1 home theater and vey much excited!
Few facts are...
1. Budget is 20k to 22k ( I know it's low.)
2. I don't need a loud one but yes it should be Cristal clear, surround sound effect, 5.1, good bass.
3. Main use will be for movies and music (no games).
4. I have tight budget so DVD player can be skipped (with suggestions).
5. I want to attach it with my Videocon D2H (HD).
6. Hall size is 12*18 sq ft.
7. I have just went through Sony HT IV 300 and also want to go through Logitech Z906.
8. Unable to explore more options but given suggestions I shall visit Nagpur, Pune for demos.
Waiting for expert suggestions as cannot wait more to buy one.
Thanks in advance!
Tushar

For the said budget and dth input, HT IV300 is appropriate. Z906 has got service issues. You can find that in reviews on ecom websites. Also look at Yamaha ht196 as it provides much more flexibility in inputs as well as future upgrades. You can easily upgrade the speakers without sacrifing the entire system.

I am planning to buy my 1st 5.1 home theater and vey much excited!
Few facts are...
1. Budget is 20k to 22k ( I know it's low.)
2. I don't need a loud one but yes it should be Cristal clear, surround sound effect, 5.1, good bass.
3. Main use will be for movies and music (no games).
5. I want to attach it with my Videocon D2H (HD).
6. Hall size is 12*18 sq ft.

For a constraint budget, better to look for used entry level AVR and pick new speakers.. IMO, you should be able to complete used AVR + 3.0 set-up.. Should keep you happy for both movies & music until you save for your next upgrade..

An used AVR (with HDMI) for 10K max from FM here in your city or your nearest city...

Taga 3.0 speakers for abt 13K from hifimart.com / ebay.in..

Bookshelf - https://www.hifimart.com/taga-harmony-tav-806s-surround-speaker.html?search=Taga&description=true

Center - https://www.hifimart.com/taga-harmony-806c-centre-channel-speaker.html?search=Taga&description=true

4. I have tight budget so DVD player can be skipped (with suggestions).

If you have more access to downloaded BR Rips, then better to use either PC/Laptop with HDMI (or) an Android TV box..

7. I have just went through Sony HT IV 300 and also want to go through Logitech Z906.

If you want a flexible system that you can upgrade over years, then skip both..

For a constraint budget, better to look for used entry level AVR and pick new speakers.. IMO, you should be able to complete used AVR + 3.0 set-up.. Should keep you happy for both movies & music until you save for your next upgrade..

An used AVR (with HDMI) for 10K max from FM here in your city or your nearest city...

Bookshelf - https://www.hifimart.com/taga-harmony-tav-806s-surround-speaker.html?search=Taga&description=true

Center - https://www.hifimart.com/taga-harmony-806c-centre-channel-speaker.html?search=Taga&description=true

If you have more access to downloaded BR Rips, then better to use either PC/Laptop with HDMI (or) an Android TV box..

Can I upgrade Sony HT IV 300 with a receiver in future with existing speakers set?

Sorry.. didn't get you.. Did you mean you want to buy Sony HT IV300 for now & upgrade to a better AVR in future?..

Sony is giving AV receiver with HT IV 300.
Can I buy a new receiver later on and use existing speaker set up of Sony?
I am also looking for a used AVR as suggested. Also want to know what is a active & passive subwoofer? What difference does it make?

Sony is giving AV receiver with HT IV 300.
Can I buy a new receiver later on and use existing speaker set up of Sony?

As suggested earlier, if you like to build a good HT progressively, please consider ditching this Sony HT IV 300.. There is just not much flexibilty in upgrading and the effort go waste.. More importantly money..

I am also looking for a used AVR as suggested.

This would be better solution for your needs..

Also want to know what is a active & passive subwoofer? What difference does it make?

Most HT system use active subwoofer, which means the subwoofer has its own power (Amplifier inbuilt in the subwoofer box).. Where you can adjust bass (increase/decrease) to your liking..

Passive subwoofer on the other hand is powered by AVR ( the amplifier is in the AVR & not in the subwoofer box).. An example is Sony HT IV300..

What about the woofer

What subwoofer would you recommend if budget is increased by another 10k.

It would be hard to find a new subwoofer for < 15K.. Used would be better in that budget..

And how better the system be compared to yamaha yht 1840

Yamaha YHT series have HTIB speakers, which are full range inexpensive satellite speakers, with compromised sonics/performance.. Suggested Taga speakers are decent choice, in expensive BS/surround speakers and should be a convincing upgrade over HTIB speakers..

As others mentioned, go for an AVR plus two bookshelf to start. It will give you a good starting point, which can be expanded in the future to a 5.1 or a 7.2.4 system as you get needed money. The biggest mistake every AV enthusiast does is to compromise on the quality and invest in a low end 5.1 HTIB, which cannot be upgraded in the future. Soon they will repent their mistake, but money spent will be a dead asset... Think twice before you take that route...

Updated... Check this link. https://www.hifivision.com/threads/yamaha-yht-196-receiver-with-speaker-package-in-warranty.69404/

Last edited:
@elangoas Would the taga 3.0 speakers with used avr work as a reference audio setup for indie film editing? I want to do a basic 3.1 mix and then downmix or upmix to stereo or 5.1 as needed.

@ItsMe is the linked good only for its avr? I have the avr from el cheapie f&d f3800x. Can I use the speakers from this link with the amp. I think speakers are usually the weak link.

tushar,

I know budget is a constraint for some of us, and we cant force everyone to go for an expensive setup.
But if you buy a Sony or Logitech, both will be good. But that is the end of it. No upgrade in future.

With my personal experience (which was too confusing in the beginning), my suggestion is to follow the seniors Elangoas, Dr_rocket, ItsMe etc.
Buy a used AVR with only two speakers now if you can afford.
But in the next 6 months or so....you can surely afford little more money to add remaining speakers and subwoofer.
But this route will get you a far better setup finally.

I used a YHT196 earlier and then replaced the speakers with TAGA.
YHT196 avr is a very basic one, but still it is very good for that price with taga speakers.
After adding an active subwoofer, it will be awesome.

Regards,
Naveen

Putting my 5.1 old Wharfedales DX-1 Black color famous for Movies and Sound Great HT Setup Quality and stylish for Sale soon this weekend in Mumbai. Pl hold your horses for a buy. Will put up for 38K. Hardly Used.

Back