Need help to choose components for a dedicated home theatre

sivakumars

Hello All

I'm new to hifivision but always have been great fan of music and audio. Now I'm into one of my biggest dreams of building a dedicated home theatre. It has been a year since I started after completing the construction of my house.

Room Dimensions: 10.5 ft(W) * 16 ft(L) * 11 ft(H)

Visual: I didnt like projectors as I prefer picture quality than size and I couldn't resist the clarity of OLED's. So bought a LG G2 65 inch TV last year which is wall mounted.

Room Acoustics: My room is not yet fully treated with acoustic panels, but I'm making DIY acoustic panels iteratively, will stop when I feel the sound is not improving anymore. Yet to start building the bass traps. Currently I have enough panels to watch movies with clear sound reproduction with out lot of echos. Only problem is low end reverbs. Will add bass traps to all the corners soon. Yet to put carpet(only if needed after filling the room with enough panels, if find a need to still reduce echo's, i'll. As I have a kid playing in that room almost all day, he used to spill lot of stuff on the floor and carpets will make cleaning a nightmare). I didnt go for full room acoustics as I've a tight budget and not interested in spending a lot on looks and asthetics of the room.

Current sound system: I have a sony HTIB system BDV-E4100 bought 7 years back. Using it for time being. Plugged it to TV and leveraging TV's streaming capabilities which I'm intending to continue to use even after setting AVR for sometime until I get a dedicated player such as NVIDIA shield TV PRO.

Couch: Have an old recliner, need to replace it later.

Attaching the current photos of the room here:
IMG_5713.jpgIMG_5714.jpgIMG_5715.jpgIMG_5711.jpgIMG_5710.jpgIMG_5709.jpgIMG_5708.jpgIMG_5707.jpgIMG_5706.jpgIMG_5705.jpgIMG_5712.jpg

As I continue to improve the acoustics by adding panels and bass traps, I decided to buy sound system AVR and 5.1 speakers to start with and add atmos speakers after a year or so. For the dimension of the room I believe 5.2.2 layout is more than enough. Please correct me if I'm wrong or adding surround back provide more value.

The current thinking is placing the surround speakers slightly behind the couch (as it is mounted currently) just to avoid very close proximity of speakers for one seat in the couch. That's y adding another pair of surround speakers would be problematic. Considering a layout like the below one:
1699536018740.png

So thinking about getting a 7.2 channel receiver. Please suggest me whether I should consider 9.2 instead.

My budget is around 1.5 lakh(already spent 70% of my overall budget in TV :( fell for the stunning brightness and color depth) for both AVR and speaker package. I prefer better sound quality over more number of channels in the layout. But if adding more channels improves quality, then I would like to consider that.

I have the following questions:
1. Should I go for 7.2 channel receiver or 9.2 for this size of a room?

2. What is the wattage of AVR's enough for this room and speakers enough for this room? (I kind of feel like the current HTIB system volume itself enough, i dont think i need a louder system than this one. sometimes with some movies in the streaming platforms, the sound is very low. But with good quality audio, im not turning volume more than 85%). I Like Denon X1700H and it suits well within my budget. But not sure 80 watts enough for my room size and be as louder as the sony HTIB system. Not able to predict because the HTIB system have 3 ohm speakers rated as 125 watts each. So not sure it will be equivalent to 80 watts 8ohms.

3. I watch lot of movies and series. And also listen to music sometimes. Should I consider tower speaker for front or book shelf is enough? I have an edifier R1850DB studio monitors and feel like even though it sounds great, it lacks mid while listening to some songs. That is the reason for thinking about 3 way towers for Front speakers. I like POLK elite series.. I that wont fit in my budget, I'm okay to get only LCR first and then add surrounds.

Thanks so much for patiently reading so far and helping me out. I thought of providing as much context as possible, coz I'm not very good at audio basics and providing enough context get me more relevant answers.

Note: Open to consider used AVR's and speakers (but not sure whether it will be reliable as I don't have much knowledge about speakers and AVR's even to check whether the used one's are in good condition).

Last edited:
My budget is around 1.5 lakh(already spent 70% of my overall budget in TV :( fell for the stunning brightness and color depth) for both AVR and speaker package. I prefer better sound quality over more number of channels in the layout. But if adding more channels improves quality, then I would like to consider that.

If you have spent 70% of your budget on the display, that leaves you with 50k INR. I'm not sure what you can buy with this.

I would also hold on room treatment till you get your equipment into the room. Its a pointless exercise spending all this money without the equipment.

The space isn't massive in the sense that you need more than 50 watt a channel. Start with a 2.1 setup (Expand to 5.1 or 7.1 later). Good quality bookshelves on speakers stands and a sub woofer. Get the center channel and surrounds later.

New or used is entirely up to you. If you find a good bargain, go for it. Just be cautious with used equipment.

If you have spent 70% of your budget on the display, that leaves you with 50k INR. I'm not sure what you can buy with this.

I would also hold on room treatment till you get your equipment into the room. Its a pointless exercise spending all this money without the equipment.

The space isn't massive in the sense that you need more than 50 watt a channel. Start with a 2.1 setup (Expand to 5.1 or 7.1 later). Good quality bookshelves on speakers stands and a sub woofer. Get the center channel and surrounds later.

New or used is entirely up to you. If you find a good bargain, go for it. Just be cautious with used equipment.
Hi Sandeep

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry for the confusion. My overall budget is around 5 lakh. And I have already spent 3+ lakh on TV. I have 1.5+ lakh budget for sound system. And I’m okay to buy few speakers now and add more once I saved up.

Hello All

I'm new to hifivision but always have been great fan of music and audio. Now I'm into one of my biggest dreams of building a dedicated home theatre. It has been a year since I started after completing the construction of my house.

Room Dimensions: 10.5 ft(W) * 16 ft(L) * 11 ft(H)

Visual: I didnt like projectors as I prefer picture quality than size and I couldn't resist the clarity of OLED's. So bought a LG G2 65 inch TV last year which is wall mounted.

Room Acoustics: My room is not yet fully treated with acoustic panels, but I'm making DIY acoustic panels iteratively, will stop when I feel the sound is not improving anymore. Yet to start building the bass traps. Currently I have enough panels to watch movies with clear sound reproduction with out lot of echos. Only problem is low end reverbs. Will add bass traps to all the corners soon. Yet to put carpet(only if needed after filling the room with enough panels, if find a need to still reduce echo's, i'll. As I have a kid playing in that room almost all day, he used to spill lot of stuff on the floor and carpets will make cleaning a nightmare). I didnt go for full room acoustics as I've a tight budget and not interested in spending a lot on looks and asthetics of the room.

Current sound system: I have a sony HTIB system BDV-E4100 bought 7 years back. Using it for time being. Plugged it to TV and leveraging TV's streaming capabilities which I'm intending to continue to use even after setting AVR for sometime until I get a dedicated player such as NVIDIA shield TV PRO.

Couch: Have an old recliner, need to replace it later.

Attaching the current photos of the room here:
View attachment 81347View attachment 81348View attachment 81349View attachment 81350View attachment 81351View attachment 81352View attachment 81353View attachment 81354View attachment 81355View attachment 81356View attachment 81357

As I continue to improve the acoustics by adding panels and bass traps, I decided to buy sound system AVR and 5.1 speakers to start with and add atmos speakers after a year or so. For the dimension of the room I believe 5.2.2 layout is more than enough. Please correct me if I'm wrong or adding surround back provide more value.

The current thinking is placing the surround speakers slightly behind the couch (as it is mounted currently) just to avoid very close proximity of speakers for one seat in the couch. That's y adding another pair of surround speakers would be problematic. Considering a layout like the below one:
View attachment 81358

So thinking about getting a 7.2 channel receiver. Please suggest me whether I should consider 9.2 instead.

I have the following questions:
1. Should I go for 7.2 channel receiver or 9.2 for this size of a room?

2. What is the wattage of AVR's enough for this room and speakers enough for this room? (I kind of feel like the current HTIB system volume itself enough, i dont think i need a louder system than this one. sometimes with some movies in the streaming platforms, the sound is very low. But with good quality audio, im not turning volume more than 85%). I Like Denon X1700H and it suits well within my budget. But not sure 80 watts enough for my room size and be as louder as the sony HTIB system. Not able to predict because the HTIB system have 3 ohm speakers rated as 125 watts each. So not sure it will be equivalent to 80 watts 8ohms.

3. I watch lot of movies and series. And also listen to music sometimes. Should I consider tower speaker for front or book shelf is enough? I have an edifier R1850DB studio monitors and feel like even though it sounds great, it lacks mid while listening to some songs. That is the reason for thinking about 3 way towers for Front speakers. I like POLK elite series.. I that wont fit in my budget, I'm okay to get only LCR first and then add surrounds.

Thanks so much for patiently reading so far and helping me out. I thought of providing as much context as possible, coz I'm not very good at audio basics and providing enough context get me more relevant answers.

Note: Open to consider used AVR's and speakers (but not sure whether it will be reliable as I don't have much knowledge about speakers and AVR's even to check whether the used one's are in good condition).
Hi , In my opinion 7.2 is enough for this room size , because you are going to place the couch some distance from the back wall , i recommend always go with Preout for all channel for future upgradation . As said by Mr. Sandeep please go with slow by slow purchase when ever you have surplus money .( First invest in AVR and 2.1 channel )

Hi Sandeep

Thanks for the quick reply. Sorry for the confusion. My overall budget is around 5 lakh. And I have already spent 3+ lakh on TV. I have 1.5+ lakh budget for sound system. And I’m okay to buy few speakers now and add more once I saved up.
Have a time- bound upgrade path in mind. Example if you use your INR 1.5 lakhs on lets say the Denon 3800, how soon can you have the budget to buy speakers ? The reason why I mention 3800 is because its one of the cheapest AVRs with pre-outs (if you want flexibility). Or if you find that unnecessary, then you could go for something like Yamaha Rxv 6a or similar. But there has to be a time- line since by the time you buy your 7.2 speakers your AVR will go kaput (given the short shelf- life these days). Another option is to go for a slim line AVR (7.2) from Marantz ~ INR 75k and add cube speakers+ sub (Elac). I think there is an all- in package on hifimart. That way you are not postponing your HT experience. You will have to think it through based on availability of funds and the upgrade path you want to take.

Thanks for the suggestions @sgmkumar1972 and @Amarendra ..

I'm not so sure about the need for pre-outs given that even in future, I may upgrade to improve sound quality, but not to increase power. I'm not aware whether adding a power amp through the pre-outs improve sound quality or only for more power it should be used. Please clarify.

As @sandeepmohan mentioned, if I only need 50 watts per channel, then can I opt to Denon x1700 ( around 54K on amazon sale, live now)? Is it only about number of channels and wattage or something else I would miss when compared to more pricey models such as X3800H?

Hi , In my opinion 7.2 is enough for this room size , because you are going to place the couch some distance from the back wall , i recommend always go with Preout for all channel for future upgradation . As said by Mr. Sandeep please go with slow by slow purchase when ever you have surplus money .( First invest in AVR and 2.1 channel )
When you say 7.2, I believe you mean 5.1.2 atmos setup for this room or 7 ear level speakers + atmos (7.2.2)?

I'm not so sure about the need for pre-outs given that even in future, I may upgrade to improve sound quality, but not to increase power. I'm not aware whether adding a power amp through the pre-outs improve sound quality or only for more power it should be used. Please clarify.

As @sandeepmohan mentioned, if I only need 50 watts per channel, then can I opt to Denon x1700 ( around 54K on amazon sale, live now)? Is it only about number of channels and wattage or something else I would miss when compared to more pricey models such as X3800H?
Hi ,
Its a general recommendation with preouts , even i am using pioneer for small room ( 10 X 10 ) its power is enough for me ( no need power amp ) ,

Most of the time power amp is not needed , but sure power amp will improve the sound quality .

Got it.. Is 30 watts power output difference significant? Given that marants 50 watts and denon 80 watts?
50 or 80 watts are 2 channel driven only, when drive more speakers this will get reduced, if you use tower speaker this watts not able to drive full potentially, so thst people recommended power amp for atleast front one,

As you have asked 50 watts to 80 watts will have only slight significant difference only ,not much ,for movie watching it is enough, for music we need little more power to drive front speakers.

Hi,
Please check if the Amazon seller is on the Denon authorised list.

Buying an AVR off Amazon may lead to after-sales service issues.

With AVRs, always best to buy from an authorised dealer. Most will try to match Amazon prize.

Regarding other questions, I'd suggest 5.1.2 will be the sweetspot for your room size.

There's not much for even the surrounds to do in my experience, and rear surrounds will not make much of a difference.

Speakers, I'd suggest a high efficiency bookshelf + centre or LCR wall mounts.

And yes, a claimed 80w per channel with two channels driven is kind of enough if you dont go too loud. (65-75 dB)

All the best.

Hello All

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I have completed my setup. Special thanks to @sriram_shol for the guidance.

This is my current setup:

Nvidia Shield TV PRO
Denon X2600H
Polk ES20 as fronts
Polk ES30
Polk S10 as surrounds
Polk OWM3 as TOP middle
Polk HTS10
4KVA Servo Stabilizer
Old laptop connected with HDD as a network file server

Really happy with the setup. The setup sounds more than expected. When started building this dedicated theatre, I took a demo of 5.1.2 setup from ProFX, I wanted to build a system that sounds similar to that one. And I'm really happy that I was able to achieve that. Welcome to experience my setup if anyone is close to Tirupur / Coimbatore or if you are visiting to Coimbatore.

Hello All

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I have completed my setup. Special thanks to @sriram_shol for the guidance.

Nvidia Shield TV PRO
Denon X2600H
Polk ES20 as fronts
Polk ES30
Polk S10 as surrounds
Polk OWM3 as TOP middle
Polk HTS10
4KVA Servo Stabilizer

Really happy with the setup. The setup sounds more than expected. When started building this dedicated theatre, I took a demo of 5.1.2 setup from ProFX, I wanted to build a system that sounds similar to that one. And I'm really happy that I was able to achieve that. Welcome to experience my setup if anyone is close to Tirupur / Coimbatore or if you are visiting to Coimbatore.
Congratulations and Enjoy the experience!

Hello All

Nvidia Shield TV PRO
Denon X2600H
Polk ES20 as fronts
Polk ES30
Polk S10 as surrounds
Polk OWM3 as TOP middle
Polk HTS10
4KVA Servo Stabilizer

Congrats Sivakumar.👏
That's a matching sound setup,
Denon & Polk -made for eachother.
I wish to sense its symphony.
I live in Kovai.

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back