Need help to select a pair of towers for Stereo

I am actually looking at Mission LX5/QX5 speakers. Smaller versions of these speaker have 5* ratings. Both are available at 60k on Hifimart. Anyone have any good or bad experience with LX/QX floorstanders?
I am finding it hard to audition the speakers I shortlisted, Covid situation making it difficult. So I am thinking of settling for something cheaper for now and look at better options when the situation improves.

Is Mission QX a reasonably good speaker? QX5 has massive discount on it now. Anyone listened to them? Thanks.

Since you have a decent budget, I'm sure you'll find something that excites you. Considering the differences that you perceived in the presentation, i guess it depends a lot on the amp that you're pairing it with also. I'd got myself a Denon x2400H for a short while before either of my Marantz amps and the KEFs did not sound good on them. Also, if a speaker sounds bright, a trick to make it smoother is to reduce toe-in as much as possible without collapsing the soundstage. But you might genuinely want to try out the R3, you owe it to yourself since you're already going through so much trouble :)

I got a pair of mission QX2s for a family member yesterday simply because they're so well reviewed (and i get to enjoy them when i visit my hometown ;)), the reason being that its something new to experience. Your philosophy may differ of course but insofar as I'm concerned, life is too short to stick with the familiar.

I am finding it hard to audition the speakers I shortlisted, Covid situation making it difficult. So I am thinking of settling for something cheaper for now and look at better options when the situation improves.

Is Mission QX a reasonably good speaker? QX5 has massive discount on it now. Anyone listened to them? Thanks.
The mission qx2s Will be delivered in a day or two. Will post about listening impressions.

i was tempted to pick up the floorstanders myself. The deal is too good to pass up. The QX5s are behemoths and larger than the KEF Q950s or any of the other loudspeakers we have discussed in this thread. i had to reason long and hard with myself to not get them.

The mission qx2s Will be delivered in a day or two. Will post about listening impressions.

i was tempted to pick up the floorstanders myself. The deal is too good to pass up. The QX5s are behemoths and larger than the KEF Q950s or any of the other loudspeakers we have discussed in this thread. i had to reason long and hard with myself to not get them.
The deal on QX5 is gone. What worries me is unusually low peak spl rating of 96db for both lx and qx series. Isn't that very low for a speaker (qx5) rated at 90db sensitivity. It can muster only 6db extra taking upto 200rms. I am confused.

The deal on QX5 is gone. What worries me is unusually low peak spl rating of 96db for both lx and qx series. Isn't that very low for a speaker (qx5) rated at 90db sensitivity. It can muster only 6db extra taking upto 200rms. I am confused.
That is very curious indeed. Will have to dig deeper.

On another note, the QX2s were delivered today. Just need to figure out which amp to pair with it. I had my eyes initially on the Yamaha WXA50 but a reviewer on youtube stated that it paired terribly with it. I wonder if the Marantz NR1509 or the Denon CEOL Piccollo will be able to do some justice to it.

That is very curious indeed. Will have to dig deeper.

On another note, the QX2s were delivered today. Just need to figure out which amp to pair with it. I had my eyes initially on the Yamaha WXA50 but a reviewer on youtube stated that it paired terribly with it. I wonder if the Marantz NR1509 or the Denon CEOL Piccollo will be able to do some justice to it.
I am curious as to how the qx2s pair with Marantz pm6006???
Have you tried them with your pm6006 yet??

I am curious as to how the qx2s pair with Marantz pm6006???
Have you tried them with your pm6006 yet??
It was a gift to a family member which is why I was trying to figure out which amp to pair it with. Finally settled on the NR1509 which should be versatile enough for both stereo as well as HT applications (and also because i found it for below 30k which made it a no brainer). The fact that it has preouts sealed the deal cuz if he wants more power, he can add it at a later stage. Ill ask him to share his listening experience and ill post it on this thread or perhaps a new one.

Last edited:
It was a gift to a family member which is why I was trying to figure out which amp to pair it with. Finally settled on the NR1509 which should be versatile enough for both stereo as well as HT applications (and also because i found it for below 30k which made it a no brainer). The fact that it has preouts sealed the deal cuz if he wants more power, he can add it at a later stage. Ill ask him to share his listening experience and ill post it in this thread or perhaps a new one.

Any particular reason for selecting it over the QA3030i (similarly priced currently)? Had shortlisted these with the 1509 too, unfortunately no auditions possible in spite of being in Mumbai.

Any particular reason for selecting it over the QA3030i (similarly priced currently)? Had shortlisted these with the 1509 too, unfortunately no auditions possible in spite of being in Mumbai.
Got it for 27k so i saved a cool 9k over the 3030i. Plus, ive already heard the 3020i which is more or less the same as the 3030is whereas next to no other members had the qx2s so i sorta decided to vicariously experience something new through somebody else’s experience. Since the QX2s have received rave reviews, i thought it’d be an interesting proposition. In addition, whenever i go back to my hometown, i usually spend a lot of time at his house so i get to enjoy them there ;)

You can proceed with confidence with the 3030is. They are brilliant for the money. Simply put, you cannot go wrong with them.

Then again, there are the Elac B6.2s and the PSB Alpha P5s which are going for lesser money. Dunno how they compare so you might want to ask FMs who've heard both.

You can proceed with confidence with the 3030is. They are brilliant for the money. Simply put, you cannot go wrong with them.

Then again, there are the Elac B6.2s and the PSB Alpha P5s which are going for lesser money. Dunno how they compare so you might want to ask FMs who've heard both.
Got it for 27k so i saved a cool 9k over the 3030i. Plus, ive already heard the 3020i which is more or less the same as the 3030is whereas next to no other members had the qx2s so i sorta decided to vicariously experience something new through somebody else’s experience. Since the QX2s have received rave reviews, i thought it’d be an interesting proposition. In addition, whenever i go back to my hometown, i usually spend a lot of time at his house so i get to enjoy them there ;)

It does get confusing (in spite of the rave reviews etc) & thats the reason I thought it best to wait a bit & audition them before picking one up. Love the 3030i’s looks especially but would love a chance to hear them next to the 3020i too just for my satisfaction.
On the other side, who knows someone might just read this & offer them to me at 27k. Wouldn’t waste another day lol

Are bookshelfs suitable for nearfield listening i.e on computer table that's about 7' wide. I had a pair of unused Edifier R1850dbs. So I had set them up on my desk connected to a iFi Micro BL DAC to take calls. I played some tracks from Tidal just to see how they sound. I am really impressed. I can feel the vibrations from guitar on my chest. The Soundstage and fidelity is something I have not experienced before. I usually sit far from speakers. So it's a completely different experience.

Edifiers being small and cheap obviously have thier limitations. I am tempted to put a proper bookshelf pair like QA3030i or Elac Debut on the table with a nice little amp.

Would it be too much for computer table listening? Any experiences?

Are bookshelfs suitable for nearfield listening i.e on computer table that's about 7' wide. I had a pair of unused Edifier R1850dbs. So I had set them up on my desk connected to a iFi Micro BL DAC to take calls. I played some tracks from Tidal just to see how they sound. I am really impressed. I can feel the vibrations from guitar on my chest. The Soundstage and fidelity is something I have not experienced before. I usually sit far from speakers. So it's a completely different experience.

Edifiers being small and cheap obviously have thier limitations. I am tempted to put a proper bookshelf pair like QA3030i or Elac Debut on the table with a nice little amp.

I have very little experience with near field listening so I'd be remiss if I tried to speak intelligently about it.

My only desktop setup which was a step up from the usual junk was the Altec Lansing MX5021 and I've never had another pair.

But heres a thought - why don't you try active near field monitors. If you're using it on a computer desk, it'll save you some space on having a separate amplifier and messy extra cables around. Something like the KRK Rokit/Mackie CR/Yamaha HS series perhaps? Users swear by them and there are some really stellar options worth considering.

And now that i've mentioned it, i think its time for me to take the plunge and pick up a pair as well.

I had tried my Concept 20 in a similar setup sitting apart by around 3 feet. The experience was exactly how you described it , but had to play it at really low volumes. I think normal bookshelfs paired with an amp will provide you a good experience but you will never find yourself going beyond 10/15% of the amplifer volue. Active near field setups would probably be a much better option both sonically and aesthetically

I had tried my Concept 20 in a similar setup sitting apart by around 3 feet. The experience was exactly how you described it , but had to play it at really low volumes. I think normal bookshelfs paired with an amp will provide you a good experience but you will never find yourself going beyond 10/15% of the amplifer volue. Active near field setups would probably be a much better option both sonically and aesthetically
Most active near field speakers, including the ones DB1989 mentioned, are studio monitors. Are those suitable for casual listening?

B
Most active near field speakers, including the ones DB1989 mentioned, are studio monitors. Are those suitable for casual listening?

I believe most of them would be on neutral side, I personally dont prefer a purely neutral setup but i believe with good source content would be still good for casual listening. The only active I listened to are the Sonodyne SRP which had tuning capabilities but were not for near field , but they sounded amazing.

B

I believe most of them would be on neutral side, I personally dont prefer a purely neutral setup but i believe with good source content would be still good for casual listening. The only active I listened to are the Sonodyne SRP which had tuning capabilities but were not for near field , but they sounded amazing.
A little late on the post but did i mention that the first stereo that i ever experienced as far as memory permits was an all sonodyne system :)
It was an all separates system with a module each for the (i) cassette deck, (2) EQ (it was a physical 10 or 12 band EQ, can't clearly recollect) and (3) Amp.

I wish i still had it and could restore it to it's former glory. Did try back in the early 2000s but the amp section was beyond reproach, at least for the repair guys back then.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back