Need help with choosing between Onkyo/Yamaha/Denom

spidy_six

Hi All,

I am planning to buy a home theatre system with active woofer in a decent budget. So far I have enquired and found that Onkyo/Yamaha/Denon might come for my price. Can someone please suggest which one is good? Any other brand is also fine with me, so far my choices have been

1) Onkyo - 5700
2) Yamaha - 2910 or 299 or 1810
3) Denon - Did not choose a model yet

Anil

Denon has X500 and X510 with Sys 5.1 speakers. Its a HTIB and available around 40K.

To me, Yamaha 299 is best bet as it has almost all the features from 2910 and has active subwoofer. Its available in the range 35-38K.

Demo the models you have in mind and see which one suits you.

BTW, I might buy 299 in near future. If you decide on that, PM me and we can see if we get good discount on purchase of 2 !

Denon has X500 and X510 with Sys 5.1 speakers. Its a HTIB and available around 40K.

To me, Yamaha 299 is best bet as it has almost all the features from 2910 and has active subwoofer. Its available in the range 35-38K.

Demo the models you have in mind and see which one suits you.

BTW, I might buy 299 in near future. If you decide on that, PM me and we can see if we get good discount on purchase of 2 !

Hi,

I checked the 299 at Reliance Digital, they are quoting appx 37K and an offer of Philips Blue-Ray for 2,990 with that. However, I could not find any store offering a demo of this speaker or the Onkyo 5700. So far, I have checked stores like AVSTORE, SoundFactor and Maharashtra Electronics, all of them have different set of demo systems but not these.

Along with that, everyone is suggesting to go for a separate AV (preferably Denon) and Speaker Systems to get a better result.

Hi,

I checked the 299 at Reliance Digital, they are quoting appx 37K and an offer of Philips Blue-Ray for 2,990 with that. However, I could not find any store offering a demo of this speaker or the Onkyo 5700. So far, I have checked stores like AVSTORE, SoundFactor and Maharashtra Electronics, all of them have different set of demo systems but not these.

Along with that, everyone is suggesting to go for a separate AV (preferably Denon) and Speaker Systems to get a better result.

Check out Mahavir Electronics in Kothrud. Couple of years back they had Yamaha for demo.

Hi @spidy_six,

I am also in same boat as yours.

Have you checked Avxellence at dhole patil road, they are the authorised dealers for Onkyo. I checked Onkyo site and it was saying clearance sale in progress. I made and enquiry via mail for 3700 & 5700. Yesterday got a call from Mumbai, the guy was very helpful (Mr Chirag), he suggested to visit Avxellence for both models.

I have plans to buy during Dasahera. Hope they have demo models available there.

About others, Yamaha YHT 299 was available at Vijay sales in Pimple Saudagar, I checked the demo. Didn`t found much appealing to my ears, the speakers are small and sounded like suppressed. Similar with its sub. This was my first time to hear a active sub but didn`t found much off difference.

May be because the guy just played mp3 from pendrive. I will be taking my media player (Asus HDP R1) next time to check, DD/DTS/DTS MA files.

Yamaha yht 299 is also available at Reliance digital Aundh, not for demo but packed piece. They are offering 3k discount too, costing it around 33-34K.

Vagabond

Yamaha YHT 299 is good for small room. Subwoofer is small.Sound wise good performer.Small satellite do sound bit bright if played louder.Adding good fronts and center later makes sense.

@spirovious But yht 299 has less RMS out compared to onkyo 3700 (120w), so considering upgrade won`t Onkyo a better choice ?

@spirovious But yht 299 has less RMS out compared to onkyo 3700 (120w), so considering upgrade won`t Onkyo a better choice ?

Technically power is not much issue-

YHT 299
Dynamic Power per Channel (8/6/4/2 ohms) 70/110/130/150W
YHT-299 - Home Theater Packages - Yamaha - India

Onkyo HTS-3700
Dynamic Power 160 W (3 Ohms),125 W (4 Ohms),85 W (8 Ohms)
Home Theater Systems | Home Cinema System | Surround Sound System | HT-S3700 | Onkyo USA

Onkyo will sound weighty and powerful due to larger subwoofer (8 in).
But onkyo had some HDMI issues in past.So demo and decide.:)

@All,

I checked AVExcellence, they only suggested me Onkyo 5700 as per my needs (budget + Active Sub). They did not have it for Demo on that day, but said will arrange if I am interested. Now I have been searching for other stores where there is a Demo for 5700, but could not find any. And these commercial stores like (Reliance Digital, Vijay Sales etc) don't know how to setup the system, so dont go by their demo's. They have zero knowledge on what they are showing and they will always suggest us to take Sony or LG models.

So, right now I am thinking of either 5700 or Denon x510 with separate speakers. But cant decide on which speakers to buy, so far short listed JBL Cinema 300, but will ask AVExcellence guys to suggest something.

Could you please explain the difference in more details ?

Agree about onkyo hdmi problem... Had 3400 who had HDMI issue, sold off on olx !

Could you please explain the difference in more details ?
!
Most of the HtiB rate power with 6 ohms.If you check Yamaha YHT 299 specifications,its-
100W per Channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 0.9 % THD, 1 ch driven) and
135W per Channel (6 ohms, 1 kHz, 10 % THD, 1 ch driven, JEITA)

Onkyo says-
115 W/Channel (6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 1%, 1 Channel Driven, FTC)

So looking at it Yamaha is not far behind of Onkyo in terms of power.

And Onkyo doesnt have an active sub with 3700 model as far as I know...Active sub is there on 5700 which costs up to 57K. So for now, I am sticking to YHT 299 as its the only one comes in that budget...considering the fact that you will need to spend another 3k for wiring.

Can you tell me, how much the upgrade is costing you? Denon (which model) with Dali.

Once finishing will let you know,regarding model of AVR it is denon x3100.Planned to carry the AVR and demo for speakers in chennai and Delhi .

Last edited:
@spidy_six any updates ?

Avxellence have 3700 in 33k and 5700 around 54k in stock, not available for demo. They said Yht 299 is discontinued and 2910 will come after Diwali only :(

Have asked Reliance digital in morning but haven`t got any replies yet.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back