Need help with my Analog Setup(Dual 1214 Turntable)No sound stage or Imaging

Shinto

Hi Friends,

This is my first post in this forum,even though I was a silent reader for a while.
I am new to analog.
Recently picked a vintage Dual 1214/Ortofon NF15XEII which had some issues like,5 pin DIN connector instead of RCA,Motor seized/Lubrication,Start stop switch seized/lever missing,Stylus in bad shape etc..
I managed to fix all the issues except the start /stop switch.
The stylus was replaced with a generic one.
As a start I Played 1 or 2 of the records I got from a record shop.The sound is crystal clear with the new stylus.
But the sound stage or imaging is just not there which is not the case with digital.
I use the phonostage in my AV receiver Yamaha RX-V757.The speakers are Wharfedale Valdus 400.
With digital in 2 Ch stereo, I think I have a not so bad sound stage and imaging using the same amp and speakers.
What could be wrong here..
Expecting your valuable advice...

Hi All,

I forgot to introduce myself .
I am from Kerala, Aleppey,Living and working here in Australia.An Electrical Engineer by profession.
Passionate about the music/musical reproduction from a very early age.
But with limited exposure to HIFi and lack of knowledge/budget ,my best system was a sony 5.1 setup.
Last year,it was quite a revelation to hear Yamaha RX V757 with Yamaha NS30X which was my first hifi setup.
Down the path I managed to assemble a second setup and a listening room.

Living Room:Yamaha RX-V757 with wharfedale valdus 400 5.1 setup.(mostly 2.1 music from sources youtube/smart tv)
Listening Room:FX Audio tube preamp with Integra 30.1 power amp and Wharfedale CRS 5 speakers.
The source is laptop,youtube ,cd etc .
DAC is Berghinger UC202.
Spare speakers: B&W 601 S1
I am happy with the way both systems produce music.especially the tube pre + power amp setup in my listening room.

I wanted to experience the Vinyl sound and this made me buy a vintage Dual 1214.
Before investing more on dedicated phono,cartridge ,records etc
Is Dual 1214 not good enough.??
Or is it the phono stage.What could be wrong, causing the narrow sound stage and less to no imaging.

I am eagerly waiting for the expertise in this forum to move forward.

Please help..

Hello Shinto, what you are experiencing is quite common. The chain which you have is more suitable for digital sound reproduction. Turntables are not plug-and-play like digital sources and need the right config, calibration and chain to reproduce what you are looking for.

Der Shinto,

I m not claer about the cartridges you are using. Make sure what type of cartridge your are using and what supports your yamaha amplifier. If you are using Ceramic cartridge with mag input of yamaha IT will not work good and vice Versa. So check it fist. nd inform

Thanks for your reply pappu.
The cartridge was Ortofon NF15XEII .The sound was clean but the soundstage was no where near the digital (source being youtube videos or Mp3's).
Any way I have sold the Dual 1214 and I am moving away from Analogue.

I hve philips 242 turntble long with Reg Crbon Crtridge with mplifier of Sonodyne SCR 2065. When I ply the LP of Dil to Pgl Hi New one. IF you listen you wont be ble to sy whether it is Digitl or nlogue.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back