Need Help With Usher Be-718 "Tiny Dancer" & Nova Peachtree Audio...

I've read through your very long thread and even saw the pics of the Leben (very beautiful). I've also come across Viren's Lyrita, but I would prefer to audition both the speakers and the amp at the same venue so I don't know if Lyrita is even an option. It does seem as of now that an integrated is a better choice, but I will listen to all the options before making my mind. I'm absolutely set/sold on the Usher Be-718 and there's no changing that. Will spend whatever time is required on the amps (pre + power) or integrated and go with what sounds best to me. I will be taking a couple of friends too and hopefully all of us can agree on what sounds best.

There is no general rule that a seprate pre and power amps will always sound better than an integrated amp. At a given price point, common sense tells you that the integrated amp may sound better because to cover additional costs of two cabinets etc the rest of material may be slightly inferior. But as I said, there is no general rule, and better material (above a certain min standard) does not always translate to better sound.

Generally, integrated amps above 1 Lakh are pretty good, and at that price point you would really struggle to find a good pair of pre and power. I have done this exercise a few months ago, and you can go through my amp thread in the amplifier section (although I warn you it's a huge thread, and you would need a few days to read it through).

As you go up in price, options open up and there exist choices in both approaches and a decision can be arrived only after considering the specific amps in question (regardless of integrated or pre-power separates) and their integration with the speakers in question.

Why is that? BTW, I don't think Lyrita amps would be good candidates for the Ushers as they are very low powered...

I heard them once and was floored by how they sounded. They in fact sounded great on all the genres of music I heard on them. Of course also they were my first introduction to anything high-end or audiophile and I set my heart on them from then. Intend to use them for a while and then move them to the bedroom or elsewhere when I go for my next round of upgrades.

rastaman,
if it floored you, my take is to really consider the amp and the source that was running the speakers at that time. what were they?

gopi & cranky,

The CD player was a NAD, the amp (don't really know if it was pre and power or integrated) was Musical Fidelity. Unfortunately I could not get more details since I heard this setup abroad when travelling. Now I've not heard the Ushers with other equipment so I would not know how they sound, but what floored me was the clarity and the soundstage (something I don't get with my PC speakers costing under 5K).

Coming to the budget I've always said no bar but within reason. I would really not look to spend so much on the Pass X1000 when the speakers are going to be costing 1/12th their cost. Maybe later on in life when I go for more expensive speakers. Right now I would like it to cost in the range of the Ushers or thereabouts.

I would look to spend more on something like the Naim Uniti simply because it offers a lot more functionality.

Thanks for your help and inputs guys!

IMHO the best combo below a lac would be a Lyrita Audio preamp with a Jaton Operatta Power amp. I've heard the Be-718 with the same combo at my place and it does a lot of things better than my current McCormack. I'm not sure how the Nova would stand up to it. I doubt it'd be close.

I will audition all of these suggestions. Thanks a lot guys.

BTW how would a Naim Nait 5i (version 2) stand up in terms of performance. I'm being offered one, but its second-hand though not used very much.

If you had the source....

The ES9006 will be a sight better than most any digital source out today in the <$1000 price range. I be thinkin' you be askin' Odyssey for a comparison with that STX and the rest of the gang. I have a strong feeling about the computer's PSU spoiling the party.

I was planning on a SC with digital out. Coming to the PSU, I'm sure it will make the grade. I'm getting a Corsair PSU and a new cabinet that will house more HDD bays. The PC runs on an APC UPS.

nova has a source included? I thought it was a dac+integrated combo. I missed something I guess.

Once you get the amp, you'll still need a source of some kind. The PC will not cut it, unless you're OK with dropping another 35K on a good analog source.

The Odyssey Stratos and the Usher R1.5 are both around the price range of the BE-718 itself, and both partner well with those speakers. The Nova is not at that level of amplification, but includes an excellent source. If your PC already has a capable (non-onboard, transformer-coupled) digital output, you could look at an external DAC though capable ones start just north of $1000.

The other very good amp with lots of voltage and headroom and reasonable sonics is the Cambridge Audio 840W (*NOT* the 840A). Given the right DAC and source combo, you can get excellent performance, and no preamp is required, the DAC should be able to directly drive the amp and the volume can be manipulated using a wireless controller and the source mixer (the card outputting SPDIF). I think that amp is in the 1L range.

The BE-718 is a pretty easy load, but needs some voltage to really start singing. Any high power, well-designed solid state will create a nice experience with no shortage of dynamics or control. With tubes or Class A amps below 30 watts, it will be very nice for the bedroom, and a little low-volume but still very good sonics, in a medium sized living room.

You can use a PC as a source for the Nova or alternatively for a more user friendly setup, use a squeezebox like device with the Nova. With this you get all your music plus internet radio, streaming music, coupled with playing anything that is ripped and stored on your PC. If you dont find the Nova sufficient in drive (I havent tried this as yet), then you can always use the preamp section of the Nova and use an Operetta amp, Odyssey Stratos or Usher R1.5 amp for the power section. They will all be different in their own way, the Stratos is more transparent, the Usher more heft/weight and grunt and the Operetta a very fast and sweet sounding amp. Again, how they pair with the Nova remains to be seen. Alternatively if budget allows you can go with a tube integrated - as cranky said there are pros and cons here, the tube integrated will not provide the last amount of bottom end but you may find the tone/details more to your liking.

cheers
Sridhar

thanks Odyssey. In my mind, squeezebox is squeezing out others as a source. I am looking for a source right now, without necessarily buying a DAC. See my other threads on CDPs if you like. I have recently acquired a used hk 6550 which to my ears is an ok amp. Looks like everything inside is intact and not tampered with.
SB3 comes up very strongly. Only issue is that you need a comp running all the time to access your own music. I am eagerly waiting for a squeezebox that can read directly from a usb hdd. I hope SB touch is not a rumor, and gets launched in a month or so.

regards

Has anyone heard this combination? If so how is it and anyone/anywhere nearby where I can audition?

I'm looking for something similar purely for music.

moserw, I am gonna try this combo in the coming week at a friends(Sameer) house in hyderabad here. I think he should be fine with you dropping in. Also, my audition of your ADM 9.1's is still pending :) infact, if you can bring in them as well, it might be great to compare them side by side.

moserw, I am gonna try this combo in the coming week at a friends(Sameer) house in hyderabad here. I think he should be fine with you dropping in. Also, my audition of your ADM 9.1's is still pending :) infact, if you can bring in them as well, it might be great to compare them side by side.

Please keep me posted and if ok with Sameer will definitely want to drop in.

Rastaman:

I second the suggestion about the Squeezebox-great device. I have 2TB of stuff-both audio and video. I use a 1.5TB external and currently a 500 GB internal using a Netgear ReadyNAS Duo-plan to upgrade sometime soon.

I have ripped a lot of my audio using FLAC, and if you are in Bangalore, once I set up my gear you are welcome to come by. My dac is an Audiosector unit. Where are you located in South India?

George

Caught up with Gopi and Sameer to check out the Usher Be-718 and the Peachtree Nova in action.

Will wait for Gopi to post the comments.

Incidentally this took place on Saturday afternoon when the Audio Source Shootout was taking place in Chennai.

Hi Gopi,

What is the sound signature of Peachtree Nova?. Also how good is the internal DAC of the Peachtree Nova in comparison to Beresford

Folks,
We listened for less than half an hour. So, I cannot give any detailed thoughts. But these were my observations.
The setup was Cyrus CD8se -> Plinius 8150 -> Usher Be718.
We first compared the DAC of CD8se and the Nova. Surprisingly they were close to each other. The only difference I discerned was that Cyrus sounded was more focused while that of Nova had little of a hall effect. Only noticable on back to back comparisons. Otherwise both sounded very very good. Then we added the pre of Nova into the equation. I noticed that with the Pre the dynamics was better. Probably could be also because the volume level was higher. Also, the tube in my Nova is not EH but a Sylvania. But the Pre out and the DAC out weren't much different. We then took the Plinius entirely out of the equation connecting the amp of Nova to Be 718. First thing was that to produce the same good volume of Plinius we were at 1'o clock position. This was the first time ever the amp in my Nova was used. Not burned in at all. I found that suddenly the edges were rounded off and it was a bit like bass boost on. I found the voices were more huskier. All this was making it less natural. However, the amp was very good. Could be because of the speaker as well. But, I have listened to NAD and other entry level amps and this easily bettered it atleast through these speakers. Overall I think Nova was comparing very favourable to the high end presence it was in.
It costs less than the Cyrus CD8se itself and could compete with it as a source, gives a pre and allows you to fine tune it further through tube rolling and good power section to start with which can be bettered by adding some second hand power amp for a cheap cost. I think for less than a lakh you can really get settled with the source, pre and power. Then pair it with a great speaker for another lakh.
Helium,
Regarding the dac of Beresford and Nova, I would say Nova sounds clearly better. While Beresford pulled out details, with Nova the details actually makes it comes closer to sounding very natural.

Hi Gopi,

Great to know a bit more (actually a lot more) on the Peachtree Nova. I was always fascinated by the product without even ever listening to it. It seems to me it's going to be a winner at that price point. One should pair it up with good speakers, give it some good cables (i.e., give it the respect it commands), and it seems it is ready to challenge a few.

Regards.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back