Need help with Windows MiniPC displaying static on TV when woken up

darkflame91

I've got my NUC MiniPC (NUC11PAHI5) running Windows 10, hooked up via HDMI to my TV - an Android TV (branded 'Motorola' in my country, but going by firmware, deviceId etc, most likely a rebranded Skyworth) which supports 4K HDR.

When I wake it from sleep mode, it displays static, with loud crackly static audio as well.

Example video:

(strangely, the audio crackling didn't happen when I was recording this video, but it's usually there). Removing and reconnecting the HDMI cable usually fixes this. This happens about 50% of the time when waking from sleep. This also frequently happens when I'm launching a game and the screen turns off and on, or if I change resolution in-game - this is especially frustrating because some games lose focus and exit full screen every time the HDMI cable is disconnected.
Playing videos and going to full screen doesn't cause any issues in various apps (Youtube, Plex, VLC, MPC)

I've used several other devices hooked up via HDMI (PS4, PS5, Nintendo Switch, Firestick 4K), and have only ever faced this with the NUC.

I'm also worried about the HDMI port wear-and-tear from repeatedly reconnecting the cable.

Things I've tried (with no luck):

• Turning off HDR
  • Lowering display resolution
  • Using a different HDMI port
  • Using a new HDMI 2.1 cable (Also, the PS5-bundled HDMI cable)
  • Updating drivers (Intel driver update tool says my drivers are up to date)
  • Updating the Android TV to latest firmware
Any help understanding how I can fix this would be greatly appreciated. This problem has been driving me nuts for a year, and Google and Reddit weren't very helpful.

My ISP provides an Android STB but with their own proprietary software. If I left the STB to sleep at night and came back next day it does the same on my Sony TV. No crackling sound though. I have to switch off the STB from the remote and switch on again for it become "alive". Could be some power saver function kicking in in your NUC and my STB?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back