Need stereo setup: 50K

turntablist

Hi All,

Looking for some bbuying advice for an audio setup. Thanks in advance for your help.

Budget: Starts from 10K Upto 50K, might go even higher but will need perceiveable difference to spend the extra

amount

What I listen to: Mostly EDM and movies

Requirements: Some form of wireless connectivity is a must (maybe can get a chromecast if needed?)
My room size is around 14 feet by 14 feet. Listening distance is around 12 feet.However, the speakers might be placed only 3 feet apart.
Also, I like to spend once and get the best possible, so no buying again and again.

Sound Signature: I like tight, punchy and detailed bass, not over the top and definitely not boomy. A slightly
warm signature is preferrred rather than reference or neutral.

Some pointers: The following is what I have shortlisted as of yet:

1. Swan M10: Has fairly good reviews but no wireless connectivity. Will prefer this if alternatives don't have
massive improvements.

2. Swan M200MKII: Has awesome reviews. Only concern is I think they are designed for near-field listening. Will a distance of around 12 feet from me to the speakers cause a drop in quality?

3. Wharfedale Diamond 225: I think things get serious here. However this will need an amplifier to pair with it; and I have absolutely no clue about Amps.

4. Sony SRS-X99: Sounds good but I think I will lose out on stereo imaging?

Please give any other suggestions you might have.

Also, if you suggest Wharfedale Diamond 225, please suggest a good amp as well. I might upgrade my system to a home theater later (a lot later and not sure if i will be doing that).
So, do you suggest a stereo amp or a home theater amp (If home theater, I want it to be future proof with
ATMOS/DTX etc.)

If you can suggest a place in Bangalore where I can audition these or any other setup, it will be very helpful.

Eagerly awaiting some advice. Thanks Again.

I might upgrade my system to a home theater later (a lot later and not sure if i will be doing that).
So, do you suggest a stereo amp or a home theater amp (If home theater, I want it to be future proof with
ATMOS/DTX etc.)

You can safely use an AVR in a 2.0 set-up for now & then add speaker accordingly to complete Atmos / Dts X.. Will do all you need..

Budget: Starts from 10K Upto 50K, might go even higher

You may have to slightly up your budget to get a 7.2 capable AVR + 2 speakers for now..

Caveat: Spacing speakers 3 feet apart in 12 feet wide room would kill the experience of stereo. Speakers like a lot of space in between. if you are going for bookshelves (ideal for the budget), you would also have to factor the stands (both for budget and real estate). I would suggest that you work out the logistics of speaker placement before zoning into the brands. I have seen regular philips powerhouse speaker creating magic when placed on steady stands at ideal locations. The tweaking of positions would be determined by the models but general law dictates that you was space between, behind and away from walls for imaging. If the room layout doesn't warrant the general positions a speaker would need, you would not be getting optimum results.

In my case, I have a door to a balcony preventing me from placing it away from side walls. Initially, I was having the speakers 5 feet apart but it was very muddled. Eventually, I pushed the speakers closer to the side wall. The clarity improved drastically But, I still lose out on imaging as the speakers are almost eight feet apart and the side wall reflections reduce the experience in spite of the toe-in. Bass boom is another bane. In spite of these two issues, positioning closer to the walls was far better than placing them just 5 feet apart. I am guessing that 3 feet separation would be a night mare to deal with.

Suggestion on gears: If you are a casual listener and not finicky about the halo of imaging, going for a TAGA HT set along with a used AVR would be pragmatic. I think Atmos setup is out of reach unless you double the budget. I have seen a couple of posts in the wanted column where an FM was offering used Marantz AVR. Also, consider allocating budget to quality interconnects and decent speaker cables, if you were to invest on stereo set up. The non-descript wires make helluva difference. I did not believe it until I experienced it first hand at an FMs place.

Loads of confusions and deliberations for you, my buddy! Audition a lot (preferably at FM's place) and be patient. Rushing will lead to upgrade itch in a short while.

PS: "I would like spend once and get the best as possible" - This is how most in this forum started until addiction grew upon us. "No buying again and again" is what we tell to ourselves when we audition or listen to a new gear.

Hi all,

After a lot of thought, I have decided to pair Wharfedfale diamond 225 (https://www.hifimart.com/wharfedale-diamond-225-speakers-pair.html)with a Yamaha amp RX-583 (https://www.amazon.in/Yamaha-Dolby-Atmos-Bluetooth-Watts/dp/B074N24256).
Just a few contentions:
1. Did not get a chance to audition the Diamond 225 pair anywhere. Any suggestions?
2. I read in multiple places that AVRs are not good for music. Will my setup have flaws? Could you please explain what do i expect from this system vs the speakers paired with a good dual channel amp.
3. Is there any place where i can get this setup for cheaper/ any discounts you might know of.

The Yamaha link is a 7.2 AVR. Unless you want to eventually go for 1 7.2 surround setup, I would suggest sticking to a stereo amplifier. More bang for the buck in the same price range. When you buy an avr you pay for all kinds of bells and whistles,(Bluetooth, network, DTS/Dolby decoding, and loads of DSP built in, that few i know use it for everyday listening. Stereo generally is geared towards music listening, but also perform well for movies and such. coming to speakers, the Wharfedales are excellent speakers but with a warmish tone. As your first post mentioned EDM, those would be tame IMHO. Do audition (MUST) though as everyone has different taste.
Finally, the battle of getting the room to behave will begin once you have the gear installed in your favorite place :). Many a good setups sound like poop because of placement issues. But it is generally a fun process as the experience changes with small changes done to the placement.

The shortlisted combo is good. It will work for Movies and music. Wharfedale is a good match for Yamaha.
If you are not keen on 7.1 or atmos rx-v483 is another option with same power as 583.
Yes, a stereo amp will drive 225 better musically, but you will loose out on HDMI connectivity, decoding for movies etc.
Please check the price locally and get the AVR with warranty. Yamaha will not provide warranty for unauthorized online purchase.
Check HT Store, JP Nagar for Yamaha AVR and wharfedale.
Profx MG Road is also dealer for Yamaha AVR.

Thanks for your replies tuff and sunilkm.

@tuff , I believe a slightly warmish tone to be better suited for my taste. And since the wharfedales are known for awesome detail, I believe it should sound good. I need all the bells and whistles, so, i will go with an AVR.

My concern is that you said that the combo might be tame. Can you please elaborate?

@sunilkm , you said that Wharfedale is a good match for Yamaha. Please explain. Also, a quick question, should the amp and the speakers have the same sound signature or should it be opposite so that they complement each other.

tame. as in not a whole lot of headroom for the amplifier to really push the speaker to it's capabilities. 87 db sensitivity is not too low but low enough for the mentioned avr to not get the best low end out. As there in no mention of a subwoofer, 225 goes down to 45hz, the bass and kick drums would sound light (tame) and no slam, especially on EDM. With a stereo amp, you can add a Chromecast audio for cheap and make the amp do whatever an AVR does.(almost) or something like this with all the bells and whistles--->https://htstore.in/index.php?route=...&sort=p.price&order=ASC&page=2&product_id=863

2. I read in multiple places that AVRs are not good for music.

Think you shouldn't worry abt this..

An AVR is lot more flexible with HDMI inputs, decoders, has bass management which are some critical features in any set-up..

should the amp and the speakers have the same sound signature or should it be opposite so that they complement each other.

Same as above.. Ignore this.. Put together whatever system you can in your budget and you can tweak it progressively to make it sound better..

Thanks for your replies tuff and sunilkm.

@sunilkm , you said that Wharfedale is a good match for Yamaha. Please explain. Also, a quick question, should the amp and the speakers have the same sound signature or should it be opposite so that they complement each other.

Yes my setup is similar but lower models of your shortlist.
Yamaha 477 and wharf 220. It is musical with warm and good midrange.
Doing good for movies too. But the enhanced treble you find in some bright speakers may be missing in wharfedale due to the high freq roll off I think.
Other than that it is suitable for prolonged listening without any fatigue.

Hi all,

After a lot of thought, I have decided to pair Wharfedfale diamond 225 (https://www.hifimart.com/wharfedale-diamond-225-speakers-pair.html)with a Yamaha amp RX-583 (https://www.amazon.in/Yamaha-Dolby-Atmos-Bluetooth-Watts/dp/B074N24256).
Just a few contentions:
1. Did not get a chance to audition the Diamond 225 pair anywhere. Any suggestions?
2. I read in multiple places that AVRs are not good for music. Will my setup have flaws? Could you please explain what do i expect from this system vs the speakers paired with a good dual channel amp.
3. Is there any place where i can get this setup for cheaper/ any discounts you might know of.

Don't buy without auditioning ; Reach out to nearby FMs houses and listen for whatever available. Ask for Audition before you buy. And any speakers you buy will mostly sound muddled and lackluster if you are planning to keep them only 3 ft apart.

I did have Yamaha VX 477 with Wharfedale Diamond 9.5 few years ago, they matched OK. The details and soundstage were lacking in general but acceptable for the price point. If you were to buy blindly, go for Dali Zensor 3 and Marantz PM 6005/6 Stereo Amps or NR 1608 AVR - but this would increase your budget a lot.

Hi All,

Looking for some bbuying advice for an audio setup. Thanks in advance for your help.

Budget: Starts from 10K Upto 50K, might go even higher but will need perceiveable difference to spend the extra

amount

Requirements: Some form of wireless connectivity is a must (maybe can get a chromecast if needed?)
My room size is around 14 feet by 14 feet. Listening distance is around 12 feet.However, the speakers might be placed only 3 feet apart.
Also, I like to spend once and get the best possible, so no buying again and again.

Sound Signature: I like tight, punchy and detailed bass, not over the top and definitely not boomy. A slightly

1. Swan M10: Has fairly good reviews but no wireless connectivity. Will prefer this if alternatives don't have
massive improvements.

2. Swan M200MKII: Has awesome reviews. Only concern is I think they are designed for near-field listening. Will a distance of around 12 feet from me to the speakers cause a drop in quality?

3. Wharfedale Diamond 225: I think things get serious here. However this will need an amplifier to pair with it; and I have absolutely no clue about Amps.

Also, if you suggest Wharfedale Diamond 225, please suggest a good amp as well. I might upgrade my system to a home theater later (a lot later and not sure if i will be doing that).
ATMOS/DTX etc.)

If you can suggest a place in Bangalore where I can audition these or any other setup, it will be very helpful.

Diamond 225 paired with Norge 1000 will be the best. I recently got the option to compare my Norge 1000 Golds with Marantz PM6006. It's all the same, only loudness button in Marantz adds more bsse, and the same can be achieved by the bass pot of Norge. If you are open to used, buy a Norge that is in good condition and if you don't like it you can sell ut off without much loss. You can also pair Dalis with Norge, but they can be bright in certain music, which you can reduce by using the treble pot. As far as Norge is concerned, it will pair with most speakers and has very good power.
Hi All,

amount

massive improvements.

ATMOS/DTX etc.)

Hi All,

amount

massive improvements.

ATMOS/DTX etc.)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back