Need suggestion about ATMOS capable Bluray player

viswabharath

Hi all,

I own a Samsung H6500 bluray player in my setup connected Marantz SR6007 (OPT).

i know the AVR is not capable of decoding ATMOS tracks, but when I play ATMOS tracks, my Bluray player gives me an error saying it cannot decode the audio track.

Now the question is, which bluray player can decode ATMOS tracks ?

If there is any (I know there are many), can I use that bluray player to send ATMOS tracks decoded to PCM ? so my current AVR can play the track.

If that is not possible, I am also looking to upgrade my AVR as well.

Thanks in advance

Hi

This is the first I am hearing that there are Blu Ray players which decode Atmos.....

As far as I know, its the AVR which is supposed to do the job....(Atmos capability).

Hi

This is the first I am hearing that there are Blu Ray players which decode Atmos.....

As far as I know, its the AVR which is supposed to do the job....(Atmos capability).

Not an answer to the OP, but you can have hardware decoding on the player and multiple analog outputs to the AVR. I have a Philips DVD player that also upscales to 1080p with this feature.

But probably not available on Blu-ray and 4K Blu-ray players, at least none that I have seen. This is more because of Sony's decision to limit piracy though.

None. The most that a player can decode is the Dolby TrueHD 7.1 downmix (for backwards compatibility, there's a 7.1 channel mix nested inside every Atmos track).

So let's say I have content with ATMOS track, my player is not even able to bitstream it to my avr first of all and gives an error.

So the player should be able to bitstream the track and leave the atmos decoding to avr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the player should be able to bitstream the track and leave the atmos decoding to avr.
Yes, it should.

Think of an Atmos track as containing two types of information: data (the audio) and metadata (instructions on where to place the audio). To save storage space on the disc, the audio in an Atmos track is losslessly packed using TrueHD, just like 5.1 and 7.1 are.

When the player looks at the data, it sees a TrueHD track. It doesn't know whether it's 7.1 or Atmos. So if your player can bitstream a TrueHD 7.1 track, then it should be able to bitstream an Atmos track.

Yes, it should.

Think of an Atmos track as containing two types of information: data (the audio) and metadata (instructions on where to place the audio). To save storage space on the disc, the audio in an Atmos track is losslessly packed using TrueHD, just like 5.1 and 7.1 are.

When the player looks at the data, it sees a TrueHD track. It doesn't know whether it's 7.1 or Atmos. So if your player can bitstream a TrueHD 7.1 track, then it should be able to bitstream an Atmos track.

Got it now, thank u.
So I have to look for a player which can bitstream truhd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got it now, thank u.
So I have to look for a player which can bitstream truhd.

Looking at your Blu-ray player specs, it already does that. The problem I think is you are using optical which does not handle lossless HD audio.

Your AVR is also not limited and has HDMI inputs. Use a HDMI cable to connect the Blu-ray player to the AVR and you will get both lossless HD audio and better PQ.

Sanjay answered it. Essentially ATMOS is encoded inside THD track. So virtually ANY Bluray player should support that (not aware of any which can't bitstream THD). Ofcourse you need a reciever with HDMI input and THD decoder.

ATMOS is an AVR function to detect metadata from THD track and decode accordingly.

All standard bluray players that passthrough pcm & hd audio can passthrough atmos audio. Its the AVR that will decode the audio and amplify them to the speakers.

All standard bluray players that passthrough pcm & hd audio can passthrough atmos audio. Its the AVR that will decode the audio and amplify them to the speakers.

Only bitstream will work. PCM will only get you standard upto 7.1 channels output.

Hi all,

I own a Samsung H6500 bluray player in my setup connected Marantz SR6007 (OPT).

i know the AVR is not capable of decoding ATMOS tracks, but when I play ATMOS tracks, my Bluray player gives me an error saying it cannot decode the audio track.

If there is any (I know there are many), can I use that bluray player to send ATMOS tracks decoded to PCM ? so my current AVR can play the track.

If that is not possible, I am also looking to upgrade my AVR as well.

Hi ,I think you are playing a downloaded content .Try a Bluray disc which contains Atmos .It will play.
I also have the same problem ,the downloaded content audio format is not been played my BR player (the audio codec is not supported) ,whereas if I'm using a BD which contains Atmos. It is been played .
In your case since AVR is not having the Atmos capability ,it will be played as Dolby True HD.

Last edited:
I also have the same problem ,the downloaded content audio format is not been played my BR player (the audio codec is not supported) ,whereas if I'm using a BD which contains Atmos. It is been played .
In your case since AVR is not having the Atmos capability ,it will be played as Dolby True HD.

I am also facing the same issue. I recently downloaded content from internet. It says Atmos 7.1, but when I try to play the file from my Blu-Ray player's USB, it gives an error and there is no sound, only picture.

If I connect the same HDD to my TV USB and play, the TV also gives a similar error, but it still gives out sound.

Btw, I have Sony BDP-S7200.

Regards,

Pushkaraj

Hi,

Atmos content is not properly available yet on the net. In rare scenarios you will get proper files.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back