Need suggestion about passive subwoofer of my HT please

lovnblack

Hi guys,

I was actively interested in home cinema systems when they first got popular at the beginning of 2000. I bought Kenwood KRF 7773D reciever, Infinity SM 255 fronts, control 5 rears and DIY center and subwoofer. Many years later I moved to another country and left my ht system in my mother land. But a few weeks ago I bring my system to my new home.

Currently I use front JBL E80 northridge, my old DIY center, control 5 rears and subwoofer with my Kenwood krf 7773D.

The problem is I couldn't bring mono amplifier of my passive subwoofer and I tried to use out with my receiver as a passive subwoofer but couldn't...I read all other topics, suggestions but none of them didn't worked.

I connected subwoofer to reciever's B front, but in dolby digital or dts mode when I turn on B speakers, receiver automaticly deactivate 5.1 and get to stereo mod, can't get sound from subwoofer.

I thought to buy a new onkyo receiver which can support passive subwoofer but realized that none of the new recievers doesn't support passive subwoofers.

Now I'm thinking to buy a second hand or new mono amplifier for my subwoofer but can't be sure what kind of amplifier that I need exactly fir my DIY passive subwoofer, can you please suggest me a low budget solution plz.

Here is my subwoofer's details ( I attached some pics)

MDF box
Kenwood KFC WF303 subwoofer
600W peak at 4ohm
Only +/- single terminal at the back
No crossover

I really want to buy a new onkyo reciever soon but even if I buy that I still need a subwoofer amplifier, I know some of you will advise me to buy a powered subwoofer but believe me my own DIY subwoofer awesome and I really don't want throw it away :)

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and help. I just want to buy and use a second hand amplifier or cheap new amplifier, I really don't want to be busy with electronic cards, ac dc converters, car amplifiers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-12-11-01-29-30.png
    Screenshot_2018-12-11-01-29-30.png
    619.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_2018-12-11-01-29-47.png
    Screenshot_2018-12-11-01-29-47.png
    494.5 KB · Views: 14
Hey hi,

That's a nice setup you have. Assuming you are a diy guy, have you thought of using a Car Amplifier to power your sub? A stereo amp in bridge mode or a mono amp could power the sub. You'll have to sort out AC to DC conversion for the amp.

MaSh

Hey hi,

That's a nice setup you have. Assuming you are a diy guy, have you thought of using a Car Amplifier to power your sub? A stereo amp in bridge mode or a mono amp could power the sub. You'll have to sort out AC to DC conversion for the amp.

MaSh
Yes I thought that too, but ac to DC conversation would cost higher than I thought in here (at least a friend told me that will be expensive, that's what I heard) so that I looked for a mini amplifier. For a 300w car amplifier how much will cost that converter?

Yes I thought that too, but ac to DC conversation would cost higher than I thought in here (at least a friend told me that will be expensive, that's what I heard) so that I looked for a mini amplifier. For a 300w car amplifier how much will cost that converter?

Check out amazon for ac to dc converters giving out 30amps or so. Something of this kind should work Glitz Power Supply 12V Dc, Smps, Convertors, 110V To 220V Ac, Lighting Transformers, Controllers For Cctv, Led Lighting 30Amp (360).

MaSh

You are welcome. You could reach out to FM @Kannan who has extensive hands-on experience using car amps in Home audio.

MaSh

You are welcome. You could reach out to FM @Kannan who has extensive hands-on experience using car amps in Home audio.

MaSh

Thank you for all suggestions. Do you know anyone who got Dolby atmos add on speakers DIY experience? I really want to start my own Dolby atmos angled speakers, and I need to understand what I need, crossover tech details, mdf box size info, drivers etc details. Can you help me about it also please?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back