Need suggestions/advice to choose good sub-woofer

There is a subwoofer in sale section posted by Kapvin, somebody buys that and built that it will be a lifetime asset for subwoofer section of their Stereo or home theatre listening .

For your budget the rythmik L12 is available and will be good for both movies and music. But not sure if the 300 watts be enough for your room size. But if you liked the Yamaha sub then the L12 will be a great upgrade
Thx for the recommendation!!
Guys, Do you know any place in BLR where I can get demo of Rythmik SW?

Friends, sorry for hijacking this thread for my ask. Don't want to run one more thread for my ask. Just couple of questions. I have a 10 x 10 x 9.5 ft (almost CUBE) room where I kept a 2.0 BS (Elac b6.2). I am planning to add a Sub. Since the room size is almost cube, I don't think I can add any sub which can go deeper. Also, for the existing speaker itself, if I keep volume at "-10 db" on my Denon X1600H AVR, I could see my wooden cupboard doors rattling esp. when a movie scene have heavy bass. I am little skeptical to buy a large sub (by the matter even a smaller sub) considering room size.
1st Q: is it o.k. to add a sub to this room dimension? or just limit to this 2.0 alone?
2nd Q: If I can add a sub, what size would be ideal for this room size and dimension?
3rd Q: Any good VFM sub you recommend?
Any guidance or input on my request? If this is not worth chasing, I can drop my hope and move on.

Thx for the recommendation!!
Guys, Do you know any place in BLR where I can get demo of Rythmik SW?
It may not be possible nowadays to get Rythmik L12 for any less than 75K even if you get a good deal. So be prepared to stretch your budget if you are serious about it.

Any guidance or input on my request? If this is not worth chasing, I can drop my hope and move on.

Hi you can add a sub and adjust the levels to output decent low bass frequencies you feel are lacking from existing speakers.

Many brands have good subs and various models, all depends on how much you want to spend and what kind of bass you want..presence bass or room vibrating bass...

Some good options....BIC America, SVS, Yamaha SW200 model onwards, Sunfire, etc.

Check the specs and see which sub can output lower frequencies which your existing speakers cant...based on available budget and specific size requirement..shortlist some brands and models ....audition where possible / see some youtube videos to understand better.

Hi Team

I had a chance to demo Rythmik F12 at Santosh;s place yesterday. Very impressive sealed subwoofer, I had never heard anything like that for music so far. I have almost zeroed in on F12 or FVX12 (similarly priced 1.34L MRP). FVX12 is a ported 12" woofer. I read in this forum that the sealed ones are best match for music while ported does extremely well for movies. FVX in Rythmik has an option to seal the port while listening to music (which I feel will fit my usecase). There is an onoging group buy for rythmik subwoofers & really hoping to get some good discount if at all the GB gathers good demand.

Hi Team

I had a chance to demo Rythmik F12 at Santosh;s place yesterday. Very impressive sealed subwoofer, I had never heard anything like that for music so far. I have almost zeroed in on F12 or FVX12 (similarly priced 1.34L MRP). FVX12 is a ported 12" woofer. I read in this forum that the sealed ones are best match for music while ported does extremely well for movies. FVX in Rythmik has an option to seal the port while listening to music (which I feel will fit my usecase). There is an onoging group buy for rythmik subwoofers & really hoping to get some good discount if at all the GB gathers good demand.
A good sub is a good sub... And movies demand a far better subwoofer than for music because of complex tracks.

A good sub is a good sub... And movies demand a far better subwoofer than for music because of complex tracks.

This is completely false. Movies demand simple subwoofers with high peak output and extension, texture and quality do not matter. Music demands more continuous output and a lot more sound quality from the subs, it also demands more high frequency extension than a movie subwoofer where if the movie sub is not integrating well with the mains then it doesn't really matter as long as it does boom boom, no one will notice and no one will care.

Short story, any sub will do for movies as long as it gets loud enough and deep enough for your preference, for music it requires finesse.

Bass/Cello/Double Bass lines in music require far more control from a subwoofer. Texture and tightness, and integration is far more important in music than for Movies, IMO.

This is completely false. Movies demand simple subwoofers with high peak output and extension, texture and quality do not matter. Music demands more continuous output and a lot more sound quality from the subs, it also demands more high frequency extension than a movie subwoofer where if the movie sub is not integrating well with the mains then it doesn't really matter as long as it does boom boom, no one will notice and no one will care.

Short story, any sub will do for movies as long as it gets loud enough and deep enough for your preference, for music it requires finesse.
I have a Velodyne EQ Max 15 sub whose amp has gone kaput. So, I connected it to my Crown XLS 2502. I noticed exactly what you have stated. For movies, a bit of shortcoming of the sub will go unnoticed as long as it plays loud enough to keep up with the rest of the channels.

With music, I was not satisfied with the quality of sound the sub was producing. Carefully adjusting the volume of the sub mitigated the issues to an extent but for music, I found the sub integrating at it's best with the Low pass filters activated on the crowns and set to 80Hz.

So, yes I too agree that a sub that is good for movies need not necessarily be good for music.

Last edited:
I hear a lot of people complaining about REL being less impactive for Movies. I try to reason this is how REL sounds; it's tight and accurate bass. If one likes more Cinematic effects, then SVS (ported) is probably the way to go.

I hear a lot of people complaining about REL being less impactive for Movies. I try to reason this is how REL sounds; it's tight and accurate bass. If one likes more Cinematic effects, then SVS (ported) is probably the way to go.
I had the ported SVS PC 2000 earlier which did sound deeper for certain movie scenes.
But I don't miss the low end grunt much comparatively for movies with the Rel. Infact bullet shots have more impact with the Rel.
It may not go deep like a ported sub but whatever it does above 25hz has a lot of finesse. For music it does a good job so in my case I don't mind giving up some low end if I have to seek a balance between music and movies.
Every company has their positives and negatives. Best is to choose as per our needs.

Last edited:
I have a Velodyne EQ Max 15 sub whose amp has gone kaput. So, I connected it to my Crown XLS 2502. I noticed exactly what you have stated. For movies, a bit of shortcoming of the sub will go unnoticed as long as it plays loud enough to keep up with the rest of the channels.

With music, I was not satisfied with the quality of sound the sub was producing. Carefully adjusting the volume of the sub mitigated the issues to an extent but for music, I found the sub integrating at it's best with the Low pass filters activated on the crowns and set to 80Hz.

So, yes I too agree that a sub that is good for movies need not necessarily be good for music.

No surprise there, try adjusting phase and delay, this helps a lot.

The thing with movie bass is most people find the lower range of 25-50Hz to have a lot of boom and "effect" of the movies that they want, by nature the lower frequencies are slower and sound boomy compared to the higher bass range. If you have a sub that extends lower and is flat on the freuqncy graph it will naturally sound slower and more boomy, if you have such a sub it is easy to see this if you are able to HPF it at 40Hz vs running to native extension.

May be for you any sub will do for movies and please feel free to speak for yourself but not for the entire HT community with misleading facts as always. I have used multiple subs for movies for my small room which had way more spl and extension then required but I kept changing subs cause they lacked the texture and sound quality. What you said is totally false. No not any sub will do for movies as they also require speed, texture and quality in bass. Why do people keep upgrading subs in the forum? Subs like xtz, pb2000 etc which are highly capable interms of spl and extension? It is because for texture and quality in bass. I moved from dual xtz each rated at 500 watts rms and 700 watts peak to a 300 watts subwoofer. Short story? Well definitely a funny story for me indeed

Last edited:
May be for you any sub will do for movies and please feel free to speak for yourself but not for the entire HT community with misleading comments. I have used multiple subs for movies for my small room which had way more spl and extension then required but I kept changing subs cause they lacked the texture and sound quality. What you said is totally false. No not any sub will do for movies as they also require speed, texture and quality in bass. Why do people keep upgrading subs in the forum? Subs like xtz, pb2000 etc which are highly capable interms of spl and extension? It is because for texture and quality in bass. I moved from dual xtz each rated at 500 watts rms and 700 watts peak to a 300 watts subwoofer.

What pray tell requires texture quality or speed in movies? A booming explosion? This is a rhetorical question.

Anyhow, feel free to disagree, my statement stands. Movies don't require a quality sub and music does, that's that. :)

I had the ported SVS PC 2000 earlier which did sound deeper for certain movie scenes.
But I don't miss the low end grunt much comparatively for movies with the Rel. Infact bullet shots have more impact with the Rel.
It may not go deep like a ported sub but whatever it does above 25hz has a lot of finesse. For music it does a good job so in my case I don't mind giving up some low end if I have to seek a balance between music and movies.
Every company has their positives and negatives. Best is to choose as per our needs.
Well many Movies have musical soundtracks too & thats when a musical sub comes in play, yes you do loose the low end grunt & vibrating tables/windows etc effects. I was using my Rel subs for music & movies but now they are only used for movies as i got floor standers which are adequate in bass response for me (not a bass junky) My point is even Musical Subs have their benefits for movies..

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back