Need suggestions for a 5.1 HTIB for Gaming & Movies

[email protected]

Hi everyone! I am Dwaipayan and this is my first post in this forum. I am looking for a 5.1 setup for my PC which I use primarily for gaming and watching movies. However, in my search I did not find any decent 5.1 PC speakers available in today's market. So I changed my focus to Home Theater setups. Since this will be a long-term investment for me I do not want to get a cheap system from LG/Samsung/Sony which are flooding the market.

This is where I need help from you guys in selecting a decent system. As mentioned earlier, my interests are in 70% gaming, 20% movies and 10% music. My budget is around 30K which I can strech by another 5K if it is really worth it. I plan to get a large screen later this year but for now my display is a 20" monitor. My room size (listening area) will be a 10' x 10' (when I shift to my new flat). I am from Kolkata (Tollygung area) and plan to buy the system within the next 2 months.

I searched through this forum and came up with a few names within my budget. However, each of these have their own pros and cons, so I am pretty much confused which one to go for. Below are my shortlisted systems in order of preference.

Yamaha YHT-298 (34K in homeshop18, but won't ship to kolkata)

Pros:
1. Active subwoofer
2. USB port
3. Supports ARC

Cons:
1. Availability in Kolkata. Not sure where I can find this

Denon 1312XP (32K in Reliance Digital)

Pros:
1. Active subwoofer

Cons:
1. No USB
2. Does not support ARC

Onkyo HTS3500 (29K in snapdeal):

Pros:
1. USB port
2. Supports ARC

Cons:
1. Passive woofer (read that this is inferior when compared to active woofers)

Lastly, I would like to know a few more things:
1. Are there any authorized Yamaha dealers in Kolkata from where I can get the YHT-298? (read the threads on this but the posts were pretty old so just wanted to confirm once again.)
2. Any other HTIB / separates that I can go for which is within my budget.
3. What kind of power conditioning is required for this kind of equipment and what should be the rated load capacity? (surge protectors / UPS / Stabilizers)

- Dwaipayan

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back