Need to know about DVD player???

docguha

Hello to all members
I'm in a very tricky situation.Please bear with my query,and try to give some solution(tried to find in the forum posts,but didn't find any luck),well as for my situation,it goes like this.I listen to all kind of music.i was happily using my Philips mini system(though not happy with the bass production).Any ways,now a family friend of mine insisted me to buy his Mordaunt Short carnival 8 floor-standing speaker.Well fine i accepted the offer.Now invariably to play that speaker i need a player and a amplifier.Here starts the confusion,gone through many post and other write ups,but didn't find any answer.Following are my needs(please bear with my layman like query n non technical terms)

1.My maximum budget for this venture is 15k,i know its a very low amount,but i feel still the carnival 8 can produce decent enough sound,just a matter of picking the right component.

2.First issue is this setup is only for a 2 channel audio listening purpose.But i want a single source for that i.e a DVD player(dedicated cd player cant afford).I want to use the same source for my video also.So most people will say,not possible,audio cd's played through a dvd player will not give good sound quality.Surfing through many topic came with a term "DAC"(digital-to-analog converter).Saw few dvd players with inbuilt DAC,which theoretically can produce cd player quality sound.If so which are the presently available dvd players,i can look out for?

3.Secondly,looking for the amplifier,i decided its only integrated/stereo.As per my requirement(going through the forum topics),only Norge(1000,2000 n 2060) and Sonodyne(not sure about the model no.) fits my bill.If i'm missing something please guide me.Now there is a school of thought,that the DAC present in the amp do a better job for good sound quality.Well going through the forum topics i didn't find any mention of DAC specification of the above mentioned amps.Can any one using similar kind of setup throw some light.I want the speakers to perform in a decent enough manner with my limited budget,if not to the full potential.

4.There were some write ups about the output an input cable system,which i didn't understand at all.

So,looking at the matter(and my budget) what do you guys suggest.Which dvd player and integrated/stereo amp will do some justice to the speaker pair

Huhh,pretty long query.Hope i'm able to express my requirement.Hope you guys will have something for me...

regards...:confused:

2. Every DVD player has a DAC to convert the digital audio to analog. I think poneer dvdps have good sound quality. Or you can buy dedicated DAC later, if you are not satisfied with the SQ.
3. The amps you mentioned have no built in DACs.

Start with a Norge 1000 and a budget DVDP and then replace the components after you save up.

The Norge might last you in fact... you might need to only replace the source with a good CDP.

Or else if you have an old PC then move your music to it and add in a decent soundcard.

Thanx for the valuable suggestion
But adding the pc is not n option,the setup is in the living room(aesthetically)

@ musicbee which pioneer dvd model u suggest??

aren't there any integrated amps(sub 15k budget),which have inbuilt DAC

how do rate norge 2060??

just out of curiosity,can any one explain the concept D/A output and input and the type of cables used

regards

Thanx for the valuable suggestion
But adding the pc is not n option,the setup is in the living room(aesthetically)

@ musicbee which pioneer dvd model u suggest??

aren't there any integrated amps(sub 15k budget),which have inbuilt DAC

how do rate norge 2060??

just out of curiosity,can any one explain the concept D/A output and input and the type of cables used

regards

Integrated amps with DAC will be expensive. Ditto for powered speakers.

Don't know about Pioneer but I have used a Sony DVDP and also a Philips DVDP in the past in place of a CDP.

Norge unfortunately I have not heard but I believe its good based on all the reviews from my forum friends.

If you check the rear of DVDP, you will see analog stereo outs marked R and L which is usually used for connecting to amp. In addition usually there will be an Optical or a Coaxial out also. Both carries digital out. The coaxial resembles a regular RCA out. To convert this digital out, you will need a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter). These digital outs can carry 5.1 surround sound like Dolby Digital, DTS etc. In place of a DAC you can also use an AVR which has DAC and amp built in. Stereo amps are preferred for music listening.

If you listen mp3 or FLAC formats and not CDs, then I would recommend a HD media player which can play almost all type of audio and video formats. These are available from Rs. 2.5K onwards.

If you check the rear of DVDP, you will see analog stereo outs marked R and L which is usually used for connecting to amp. In addition usually there will be an Optical or a Coaxial out also. Both carries digital out. The coaxial resembles a regular RCA out. To convert this digital out, you will need a DAC (Digital to Analog Converter). These digital outs can carry 5.1 surround sound like Dolby Digital, DTS etc. In place of a DAC you can also use an AVR which has DAC and amp built in. Stereo amps are preferred for music listening.

If you listen mp3 or FLAC formats and not CDs, then I would recommend a HD media player which can play almost all type of audio and video formats. These are available from Rs. 2.5K onwards.

thanx again...i got the connection part.as i told u my main concern is to play audio cds-->int/st amp--->ms carnival 8 fs.
but i also want to use the same source as my video player also(u can say just to make things simple,budget also concern and not a big fan of 5.1 sound for a movie,speakers in the tv r enough)
so the look out for a dvd player with decent sound quality(i know gurus will differ,but still a jugad!!!!)
the media player concept is also there,but a decent one cost 9-10k.by the way can i connect the media player to the int/st amp and get good sound??

regards

giving time to each component and playing around is the best way to learn...

get a philips or a pioneer dvdp..

norge 1000 is a real good amp for the price it cost and will be able to drive the MS 8 well. not sure how will it perform in the Bass section as norge is a bit lean on bass maybe the MS8 will cover up on that part.

get yourself decent interconnects... from the dvdp to amp
and amp to speakers.

dont go for the cheapo local dvdp...

again source is imp.. if unable to get audio cd's then bare minimum of 320kbps mp3 but trust me .. audio cds are all together a diffrent league.. you would drool over that quality once you spend time with mp3 and then move to audio cd's

again media players as option are available for the price you stated but none audio grade in analog interconnects . they are as good as another dvdp output...

later on if you wanna keep your music in digital copy like wav, flac get yourself a dac else get a standlone dvdp.

again .. playing around is the best way you can teach yourself....
dont be shy to try stuff if in reach...

@theironhorse-thanx for the suggestion.well for me.i only prefer audio cd.i try to avoid playing mp3 cd in my existing philips mini system,some how dont get the sound right.i like to do things very simple.but really setting up this hi fi stereo system(and to accommodate this single source for audio and video),is becoming very complicated.but still i feel i can set up a decent combination.by the way can u please explain a bit about your idea---"get yourself decent interconnects... from the dvdp to amp
and amp to speakers."

another bit of query.going through the amplifier section,i found norge(1000,2000 n 2060) are the most preferred n fits my budget too.but for my set up which one to choose????just to mention i listen to all kind of music(not heavy metal stuff)...i dont want boomy bass(my living room is 200 sq ft)..it should be crisp n punch(its the equalizer setting of foobar,which i like the most).so any suggestion which one to pick????

regards

Interconnect means the RCA cables and speaker cables used to connect your dvdp to amp and amp to speakers. SQ depends on quality of these cables also.

I have MS Carnival 8 hooked up to a Norge 1000. Use is 50-50 between movies and music. I find them very nice & enjoyable - the speakers have a neutral and open sound and bass response is tight and accurate.

I use multiple sources - a decade old Norcent (Lite-On) DVP, Brite-View Media Player, Transcend MP3 player etc. The DVP is OK for Movies but sucks with audio CDs - I tried with my cousin's new Phillips DVP and the music sounded a lot better. But the best sound is from FLAC played through the BV Media Player. The Transcend MP3 player is not too far behind - especially for MP3s.

I think you will be happy with a Norge 1000 amp for your MS-C8s. As for DVP, I second what everyone else has recommended - a Pioneer or Phillips DVP and you will be good to go.

The Norge 2060, though cheaper, sounds exactly the same as the Norge 1000. But I recommend the 1000 because I feel the additional power gives you more headroom while driving those big FS speakers. But to be frank, the 2060 also drove the C8s just fine.

I have the Norge 2060 hooked up to a pair of MS Carnival 6s at my office lounge and they are a scream. They are a bit bright and cheerful compared to their big brother (C8) and make a perfect setup for typical Indian filmi music.

Cheers
Teja

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back