Need you help in my buying decision

Hi All,

Sorry for appearing late, was down with typhoid fever. However now I am very much up on my feet. So started the hunt again.

This week I had a chance to audition Wharfedale 9.2, I found them decent. The bass was also good. Though I couldn't hear them along with Norge Amp, the dealer said he could arrange this combo by next week.

So the quest for the speakers is still one.

Seems in my requirement and budget, Wharf 9.2, Norge Millennium and Symphony BS fits in. Whats your call on it.

Trying to audition Norge Millennium and Symphony BS here. Please let me know if somebody is having them here in bangalore.

Apart from that I have some basic questions,

1: What do we mean by a laid-back speaker ?

2: What do we mean by a bright speaker ?

3: How a 3 way speaker is different from a 2 way? Which one is better ?
(As far as I know, a 3 way comes with a crossover, which can direct the low, mid and high frequencies to their respective and dedicated drivers)

4: Which speaker would provide a better sound stage among, will be more punchy or have good bass extensions
a: 3 way speaker with two 5.5" drivers.(Like Norge Symphony Large BS)
b: 2 way speaker with one 6.5" driver. (Like Wharfedale 9.2)

Last edited:
1: What do we mean by a laid-back speaker ?

2: What do we mean by a bright speaker ?

Let me answer these two questions together. Essentially a loudspeaker should have no 'sound' of it's own at all. It should be completely transparent - in other words you should feel as if the singer is standing next to you and singing for you. It should replicate precisely the sound of voices and instruments that were there in the original recording.

Unfortunately this does not happen. The electronics involved in storage and playback of music add what is termed as colouration to the music. It could add a certain screechiness to female voices, strings, and violins, and a slight bass to drums and male voices. This will make the sound too bassy or 'fat'. Sometimes the manufacturers of amplifiers and speakers build their products in such as way that this colouration is done purposely.

The most important part of music is what is called the mid range to which our ears are most sensitive. This is something like 1000Hz to 5000Hz. In this range there should be no harsh sounding peaks or large dips in sound that will make it sound muffled and dull.

If you are listening to strings, violins, or female voices and the sound is exaggerated with stress on 's' and 't', the resultant instruments and voices will be sharp and shrill. This is called 'sharp' or 'bright'. One of best way to try this out is a few early songs sung by Lata Mangeshkar.

Similarly a voice should mingle with the surrounding instruments naturally. It should not sound dull, muffled, or farther back, Remember in a musical where there is a singer, usually the recording stress is to present the singers voice in the front with the instruments slightly 'behind'. If you cannot hear the voice clearly, or are not able to understand the lyrics, the speaker's mid range is supposed to be reduced or recessed. This is also called laid back.

3: How a 3 way speaker is different from a 2 way? Which one is better ? (As far as I know, a 3 way comes with a crossover, which can direct the low, mid and high frequencies to their respective and dedicated drivers)

A 3 way speaker has three drivers inside, one dedicate for certain frequency range. One is called woofer that handles low frequencies, a mid range that handles mid frequencies, and a tweeter that handles high frequencies. A 2 way has two drivers in which the mid and low frequencies are hadnled by a single driver. Both have crossovers.

4: Which speaker would provide a better sound stage among, will be more punchy or have good bass extensions
a: 3 way speaker with two 5.5" drivers.(Like Norge Symphony Large BS)
b: 2 way speaker with one 6.5" driver. (Like Wharfedale 9.2)

Theoretically a 3 way speaker should sound the best and that too with a woofer that is at least 8 inches and above. But today's speakers are marvels in technology and sound handling. A lot of factors matter here - speaker size, driver size, wood used for cabinet, crossover design, driver design and material, etc. Audition as many speakers as you can and choose what your ears like.

Cheers

Thanks a lot venkat for enriching my understanding in this field. Now I have got all the answers of my questions. We are lucky to have peoples like you in this forum.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back