Need your advice for selecting home theatre speaker package

akrish01

Hi fellow forum members,

I have been auditioning speakers for my home theatre system. My room size is 156 x 106. Receiver is Denon 1910. I seek your guidance on selecting a good speaker package. My budget is about Rs. 75,000/-.

I have auditioned the following speaker brands so far:
1) Cambridge Sirocco 5.1 system (comprising of S70 towers, centre, subwoofer & S30 surrounds)
2) Q acoustics 1010i cinema speaker system
3) Wharfedale Diamond 10 speaker system comprising of 10.4 towers, SW150 subwoofer, 10 cfs, & 10 dfs dipole surrounds
4) Mordaunt Short Aviano 6 towers, Genie 409 subwoofer (downfiring), Aviano 5 centre & Cambridge Audio Sirocco S30 for the rear.
5) I also auditioned the Dali Concept 6 towers alone.

From the beginning, my preference has been packages with tower speakers for the front as I would use the setup for listening to music too. So, I narrowed down to Wharfedale Diamond package & Mordaunt Short package.

Pricing is as follows:
Diamond 10 package as above (10.4 towers 1 pair, 10 cfs 1 No., SW 150 subwoofer 1 No. & 10 dfs Dipole surrounds 1 pair) Rs. 70,000/- (best price that the dealer has offered so far)
Mordaunt Short package as above (Aviano 6 towers 1 pair, Aviano 5 Centre speaker 1 No., Genie 409 subwoofer 1 No & Cambridge Sirocco s30 for surrounds 1 pair) Rs. 74,000/- (best price that the dealer has offered so far)

Of these, I was leaning towards the Wharfedale package until I auditioned the Mordaunt Shorts. Now, after auditioning the Mordaunt Shorts, I seem to prefer them as they are more pleasant to listen to. I felt that the Wharfedales were harsher than the Mordaunt Shorts.

The Wharfedale dealer has suggested that I go in for the Diamond 10.6 & also the latest downfiring subwoofer 10.mx at an additional cost of Rs. 17,000/-

One of the doubts I have is that the MS Genie subwoofer, despite being downfiring type, is about a 6 year old model. Is it outdated now? I read somewhere that it has analog control etc? Dealer says its an amazing subwoofer long throw, downfiring. Is the Genie subwoofer a good choice or should I go in for the Aviano 7 or Aviano 9 subwoofers. Dealer says cost difference should be about Rs. 2,000/- to Rs. 3,000/-.

Am I making the right choice by opting for Mordaunt Short instead of Wharfedale Diamond 10? Are the prices being offered competitive or can I bargain more?

Pls let me know if you need any more information from me.

Regards

Arvind

Sir,
1. Dali is best provided you have buget.

2. If you prefer for Mordaunt Sub Denie 409 may not be good as it is down firing and some what at high volumes it does not perform well particularly when the room is not carpeted.

3. Wharfedale may be the best choice. Prefer 10.5 to 10.4 and Sub 10MX to SW 150.

Regards

Sir,
1. Dali is best provided you have buget.

2. If you prefer for Mordaunt Sub Denie 409 may not be good as it is down firing and some what at high volumes it does not perform well particularly when the room is not carpeted.

3. Wharfedale may be the best choice. Prefer 10.5 to 10.4 and Sub 10MX to SW 150.

Regards

Thank you Mr. Krishna for your valuable suggestions. Dali Concept 6 is within my budget while the others like Ikon & lektor are not. But I felt that the MS Aviano 6 had better bass reproduction. My demo track was "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica. I'm a percussion lover & loved the way the MS brought out the handiwork of Lars Ulrich. When I closed my eyes & listened to the track, I felt as though Ulrich was playing the drums in front of me.

I would like to hear a few more opinions. I request fellow members who have listened to the above speakers to write in their suggestions.

regards

Arvind

hi your room size 156 x 106 clearly indicate that you need bookshelf instead of FS. FS will be overkill.

Thank you Mr. Krishna for your valuable suggestions. Dali Concept 6 is within my budget while the others like Ikon & lektor are not. But I felt that the MS Aviano 6 had better bass reproduction. My demo track was "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica. I'm a percussion lover & loved the way the MS brought out the handiwork of Lars Ulrich. When I closed my eyes & listened to the track, I felt as though Ulrich was playing the drums in front of me.

I would like to hear a few more opinions. I request fellow members who have listened to the above speakers to write in their suggestions.

regards

Arvind

I love Metallica, lars Ulrich and James Hettfield are a pleasure to watch. My fav # is Sad But True live - what energy

Back