Need your thoughts on my planned 5.1 configuration

hanim

Hi All,

I am planning to setup a 5.1 home theater system in my living room mainly to watch movies. Not sure about exact size of the room(rented house). I have 42 inch TV and sofa is at around 4 meters.

I dont have much idea about AVRs and speakers and my starting point was this reddit post. From then, checking forums, review sites, shopping site like hifimart, amazon, jamsticks, i have prepared below list.

AVR: Pioneer VSX-534 (37000/-)
Center: TAGA HARMONY PLATINUM C-90 SL (12500/-)
OR Dayton Audio C452 AIR (9245/-)
OR Dayton Audio MK 442(11150/-)
Front: TAGA HARMONY PLATINUM One (13140 )
OR Dayton Audio B652-AIR (13780/-)
OR Dayton Audio MK 402 (13395/-)
Sub: Yamaha NS SW - 100 (16990/-)
OR Yamaha NS SW - 50 (10990/-)

HDMI: AmazonBasics Braided HDMI Cable - 6-Feet (399)
Wire: AmazonBasics 14-Gauge 50 foot (899)
Opt: Amazon Basics CL# rated, 6 Ft (369)
Sub cable: Amazon basics 8ft (399)

• I chose the AVR as it was one of the latest models available, have Dolby Atmos & DTS:X and is also compact.
  • I am not sure about the speakers. I checked for center channel that would fit to my rack(15cm height) & then chose front speakers for timber match. Taga Harmony center channel is slightly bigger for my rack, but have wall mounting option. I could mount it behind my TV, hope that wont affect the sound. On paper, taga harmony have slightly better sensitivity, frequency range and power.
  • Found good opine about Yamaha NS P350 from another thread. Its center too have wall mounting option. It also got similar specs. But it have surround speakers, instead of book shelf. Not sure, if that perform as good as book shelf speakers. Same goes for Taga Platinum One and S-90 SL. The surround speakers is costing more than the front.

I tried some malls (Bangalore) nearby but couldn't audition any model as AVRs and speakers are not there.
Budget constraints wont allow me to get the whole system at a time. So I am planning to get in following order
  1. AVR & Center channel speaker (If it fits, I would use my Thonet and Vander RATSEL 2.1 BT 4ohm 10W speakers till I buy front speakers)
  2. Front speakers & Sub woofer
  3. Surround ( not yet decided on which models)

Please let know your suggestions. Looking forward to learn more about these things from your opinions.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Please let know your suggestions.

Pretty good find in your budget..

Same goes for Taga Platinum One and S-90 SL. The surround speakers is costing more than the front.

It can vary from seller to seller.. they both were aval for 11K until a while back..

I checked for center channel that would fit to my rack(15cm height) & then chose front speakers for timber match. Taga Harmony center channel is slightly bigger for my rack, but have wall mounting option. I could mount it behind my TV, hope that wont affect the sound.

Better to mount speaker on wall than to fit in a tight TV enclosure..

Buy 3 pairs of a bookshelf.. Keep one single BS unused.. Use 5 of them for your set-up.. Wall mounting would be added advantage.. Benefit of using the same speaker all around is that the sound would remain identical when it moves from left to right or when it moves to the sides..

Keep surrounds slightly behind (or) to the sides of your listening position at ear-level, same as L/R and if possible center too..

What is your budget for now ?..

Many thanks for your time and your suggestions

Better to mount speaker on wall than to fit in a tight TV enclosure..
That is the plan now. Hence looking for those which have a wall mounting option. Taga's center channels have those.

Buy 3 pairs of a bookshelf.. Keep one single BS unused.. Use 5 of them for your set-up.. Wall mounting would be added advantage.. Benefit of using the same speaker all around is that the sound would remain identical when it moves from left to right or when it moves to the sides..
So, we use one BS as center. right? Would that sound better? Budget perse, all are same. Also, I thought speakers from the same series would have identical sound. For e.g Taga have platinum series (BS, center, surround)

What is your budget for now ?..

Around 80K. That too I wont be putting out in a lumpsum. I would first get AVR & Center. Then following month, Sub, Front and at last Surround

Many thanks for your time and your suggestions

Welcome..

So, we use one BS as center. right?

Yes..

Would that sound better?

Defnetly.. If you can get the center speaker tweeter close to the same height as L/R..

Budget perse, all are same. Also, I thought speakers from the same series would have identical sound. For e.g Taga have platinum series (BS, center, surround)

Getting speakers from the same manufacturer and same family is timbre matching.. Repeating the same speaker as that of your L/R for your center is identical..

Around 80K. That too I wont be putting out in a lumpsum. I would first get AVR & Center. Then following month, Sub, Front and at last Surround

Ok.. AVR + pair of BS to start with, then a sub, then center & surrounds, would be better IMO..

Defnetly.. If you can get the center speaker tweeter close to the same height as L/R..

Getting speakers from the same manufacturer and same family is timbre matching.. Repeating the same speaker as that of your L/R for your center is identical..
To learn more on this especially on jargon, wanted to ask you one doubt.
In Taga Harmony Platinum series Center channel (C90-SL) have 2 bigger woofer than the L/R (Plantinum One); 13cm & 10 cm respectively. Frequency range and sensitivity remains the same. My priority is movies - hence the dialogues. So which would be better?
My guts says marginal difference is driver size, frequency, sensitivity shouldn't matter.

Ok.. AVR + pair of BS to start with, then a sub, then center & surrounds, would be better IMO..
Many thanks. I am changing my plans to the same.

In Taga Harmony Platinum series Center channel (C90-SL) have 2 bigger woofer than the L/R (Plantinum One); 13cm & 10 cm respectively. Frequency range and sensitivity remains the same. My priority is movies - hence the dialogues. So which would be better?
My guts says marginal difference is driver size, frequency, sensitivity shouldn't matter.

You are right..It wouldn't matter much for HT usage as you would engage a crossover of 80hz in AVR, that will redirected the low bass from the speaker to subwoofer.. Either of them will do the same job.. However, S90SL is a sealed speaker and Platinum one is a ported speaker..

Many thanks. I am changing my plans to the same.

Great..Good luck

You are right..It wouldn't matter much for HT usage as you would engage a crossover of 80hz in AVR, that will redirected the low bass from the speaker to subwoofer.. Either of them will do the same job.. However, S90SL is a sealed speaker and Platinum one is a ported speaker..

Great..Good luck

I read a lot of discussion regarding using BS as center. Thanks for the suggesting; I would have never known. Decided to go for all BS.
As you suggested looking for speakers which have a wall mounting option; Unfortunately "Taga plantinum one" dont have. Other options which I could find were.
  1. Dayton Audion B652 Air (16cm woofer, ribbon tweeter, 70-20K freq, 87 db sensitivity) Edit: Just found this one is a sealed one
  2. Polk T15 (13cm, 45-24K freq, 89 db)
Any opinion would be highly appreciated. I also feels like I am restricting my options due to space constraints. For e.g Wharfedale D320, Taga Harmony Azure B-40 v2 etc... I can get those, and place it next to TV, center channel could be put behind TV

Also does my sub (Yamaha NS SW - 100 ) choice is good enough?
Hope I am not pestering you by pulling into all minor items.

Actually learned a lot from this discussion. Cross over, sealed/ported all were new terms for me. Many thanks

Last edited:
Decided to go for all BS.

Great..

As you suggested looking for speakers which have a wall mounting option; Unfortunately "Taga plantinum one" dont have. Other options which I could find were.

Platinum S90 SL has wall mounting options..

Any of the speakers you mentioned is also fine.. Settle for whichever works within your budget..

Also does my sub (Yamaha NS SW - 100 ) choice is good enough? Hope I am not pestering you by pulling into all minor items.

No probs.. Try to skip the Yamaha sub, though it has 10 inch driver, it has only 50W of power..

Taga Harmony TSW 90 v4 might be around your budget, inside 20K (last known price) (or) Mission MS-200 (sealed sub) for inside 20K.. Add one more sub at a later stage..

Great..

Platinum S90 SL has wall mounting options..

Any of the speakers you mentioned is also fine.. Settle for whichever works within your budget..

No probs.. Try to skip the Yamaha sub, though it has 10 inch driver, it has only 50W of power..

Taga Harmony TSW 90 v4 might be around your budget, inside 20K (last known price) (or) Mission MS-200 (sealed sub) for inside 20K.. Add one more sub at a later stage..
I am also looking to buy a subwoofer, can I connect Mission ms 200 to a Norge 1000 amp? This one doesn't have high input I guess.. I saw polk audio psw 10, not sure how it is. 90% for music.. Budget is below 20k..thanks

I am also looking to buy a subwoofer, can I connect Mission ms 200 to a Norge 1000 amp? This one doesn't have high input I guess.. I saw polk audio psw 10, not sure how it is. 90% for music.. Budget is below 20k..thanks

I guess Norge 1000 doesn't have pre-out for subs.. But you can take speaker outputs from Norge and connect it to subwoofer.. Unfortunately Mission MS-200 doesn't have high level inputs.. You may consider other subwoofers that have at-least high level input connections.. Refer to the below image (as example) and highlighted box..

post-59567-0-28640000-1417888535.jpg

I guess Norge 1000 doesn't have pre-out for subs.. But you can take speaker outputs from Norge and connect it to subwoofer.. Unfortunately Mission MS-200 doesn't have high level inputs.. You may consider other subwoofers that have at-least high level input connections.. Refer to the below image (as example) and highlighted box..

post-59567-0-28640000-1417888535.jpg
Norge only has recorder out and speaker outs..

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back