Neighbours complaining

krishtrinity

This is for those who like to listen to their music and movies loud,do you have any problem with your neighbours complaining music is too loud,how do you deal with that situation or do you ignore them.Is there any solutions to prevent the sound from getting out of the house,i know this might be stupid question but can't resist asking

This is for those who like to listen to their music and movies loud,do you have any problem with your neighbours complaining music is too loud,how do you deal with that situation or do you ignore them.Is there any solutions to prevent the sound from getting out of the house,i know this might be stupid question but can't resist asking

You should sound proof your room with the use of Fibrous materials such as insulation or foams which can make effective sound barriers..

Acoustic treatment is the best way enjoy the Music or Movies without troubling the neighbors. If you have Own House, then go ahead ,It actually improves the quality of sound within the room too.
Double benefit :)

Be aware of the Downsides of acoustic treatment (not limited to this list),
1. Costs with respect to what you want to achieve with treatment.
2. Sub bass will be extremely difficult to isolate. It will travel through the floors walls and eventually leak out. Even expensive treatments have a difficult time dealing with the sub bass frequencies.

I always have similar doubt. I listen music (stereo speakers, no Sub), late nights till 1 to 2 a.m. during week ends. I am living in an apartment. Fortunately my room is in a corner and don't share any common walls with neighbors in the same floor. But what about the houses above and below. Will the sound impact goes to the top/bottom floors also, or should I need to worry for the same floor houses (if separated by common wall)?

Your "Music" should not be "Noise" for your neighbours, In fact, in Maharashtra, there are strict laws against such Noise and Police are very strict in such matters. So long as the decibels are within the 4 corners of your house, you are fine, otherwise you may invite trouble - there is no way you can ignore them.....

I live in an independent house and my theater is a repurposed bedroom that is in a corner on the 2nd floor. I worry about disturbing the dwellers of the house behind us. Because my room has a window, it can leak sound even if closed and this can be a problem at nights (i haven't heard complaints but i put myself in their shoes). I usually play downloaded content or "story movies" at night times at a low volume and my blu rays during the day. This seems to have worked so far. Most of the sound leakage (my guess is > 90%) happens through door and window and if they can be fixed, then the problem is fixed to a large extent.

Your "Music" should not be "Noise" for your neighbours, In fact, in Maharashtra, there are strict laws against such Noise and Police are very strict in such matters. So long as the decibels are within the 4 corners of your house, you are fine, otherwise you may invite trouble - there is no way you can ignore them.....

what is the permissible db limits in Maharashtra?

I really don't want to test the rules regarding noise here.Thankfully my neighbours are some distance apart.Doesn't mean they can't hear my music or movies.Being a fan of metal genre music and action movies doesn't help either

I live in an independent house and my theater is a repurposed bedroom that is in a corner on the 2nd floor. I worry about disturbing the dwellers of the house behind us. Because my room has a window, it can leak sound even if closed and this can be a problem at nights (i haven't heard complaints but i put myself in their shoes). I usually play downloaded content or "story movies" at night times at a low volume and my blu rays during the day. This seems to have worked so far. Most of the sound leakage (my guess is > 90%) happens through door and window and if they can be fixed, then the problem is fixed to a large extent.

The fact that we are worrying about what our neighbours are thinking is exactly my main problem.I want the level of enjoyment that headphones offers,no worries that we are disturbing people living near.If only headphone could offer the same level of enjoyment that speakers give.

I always have similar doubt. I listen music (stereo speakers, no Sub), late nights till 1 to 2 a.m. during week ends. I am living in an apartment. Fortunately my room is in a corner and don't share any common walls with neighbors in the same floor. But what about the houses above and below. Will the sound impact goes to the top/bottom floors also, or should I need to worry for the same floor houses (if separated by common wall)?
You seriously should look into acoustic treatment,playing music at 1 in the morning in a apartment really isn't the best way to get friendly neighbours.Even me with houses several metres apart is a little afraid to play music at that time of the day

Late night music listening in apartments are always a challenge. Sound will travel to neighbors on the same floor and the floor below. The guys below will only hear thumping which can be annoying.

I live in an apartment and have found only one solution; low volume and mellow music late at night.

-Raghu

The fact that we are worrying about what our neighbours are thinking is exactly my main problem.I want the level of enjoyment that headphones offers,no worries that we are disturbing people living near.If only headphone could offer the same level of enjoyment that speakers give.

Hmmm.... I can't deny that headphones simply can't do stereo like speakers do, but I have come to love the headphone experience in its own right.

Apart from the soundstage thing, I suspect that my Sennheiser HD600s actually sound as good as any speaker I could easily afford :cool:

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back