Network Stereo for bedroom

raydebal

Hi everybody,

I am planning to buy a network stereo along with speakers for my 14x18 bedroom.

I have music stored in my laptop, tablet (android) and smartphone (android) and also in audio CDs. I would prefer a stereo that would be able to play all of these. Plus I would like to listen to internet radio.

I prefer small form factor for the speakers.

My budget is 40,000 (+/- 10,000). I live in Kolkata.

Shall be grateful for suggestions.

Debal Ray

Sonos is considered the benchmark in home networked/streaming audio.

I don't have it myself, but many of my friends do, and they can't stop talking about it. It tops in things like ease of setup, features, quality etc. Price is a bit high though.

Sonos is considered the benchmark in home networked/streaming audio.

I don't have it myself, but many of my friends do, and they can't stop talking about it. It tops in things like ease of setup, features, quality etc. Price is a bit high though.

Thanks a lot for suggesting sonos. Which model you are talking about? Sonos Play 1 sells for INR 21K in India.

I have been using Marantz CR 603 for the past two months and satisfied by its performance. CR 603 requires an ethernet cable connection for internet radio streaming while I think the CR 610 is wifi enabled. It is of a small form factor.

A friend has been using the Marantz M-CR610 with Audioengine A5+ speakers (even though the CR610 has a 4-ch amplifier) in his bedroom for some time now. He's very happy with it.

Thanks a lot for suggesting sonos. Which model you are talking about? Sonos Play 1 sells for INR 21K in India.

You can check out their pre-purchase questions.

Sonos is pretty much plug and play. Any of their models will work - either in isolation or in combination with any of their other products. That is really their main selling point - that you can buy one item for now, and later on, if you want to add another speaker, you can do that, and the Sonos controlling software will seamlessly detect the new component and will let you control what you want to play in what speaker. And you can do all that from a unified software interface.

Their different models only differ in their output power (and size of room).

I heard them in a noisy electronic store. They sounded decent, but also nothing great. Meaning - they sounded like decent dock speakers.

The main thing I feel about this category, besides good sound quality (which is a must), is the controlling software - connectivity options, support for multiple formats, radio stations etc.

Since you are new here you may not know, the Marantz players are available on hifimart. The link is in the menu banner at the top of the page. Cambridge Audio Minx Xi is also excellent but no cd player.

I have been using Marantz CR 603 for the past two months and satisfied by its performance. CR 603 requires an ethernet cable connection for internet radio streaming while I think the CR 610 is wifi enabled. It is of a small form factor.

Thank you all for suggesting alternative setups.
I read somewhere that Marantz M CR 510 or 610 is optimized for a specific version of Windows O.S. Does it mean that once I upgrade my Windows OS (e.g. Windows 7 to Windows 8.1) it can no longer stream music to the audio set?

Thanks again.

Thank you all for suggesting alternative setups.
I read somewhere that Marantz M CR 510 or 610 is optimized for a specific version of Windows O.S. Does it mean that once I upgrade my Windows OS (e.g. Windows 7 to Windows 8.1) it can no longer stream music to the audio set?

Thanks again.

Normally streaming is not dependent on the underlying operating system but with the streaming platforms like UPNP/DLNA etc., Windows from 7 onwards has its own built-in sharing called as "Workgroup" which practically does the streaming. If at all this feature is not going to be available as per your statement you can very well go with third party streaming platforms that I mentioned above and I think your Marantz will still be able to recognize these streams and playback without any issue.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back