New Amp advice please.

NE5

Hello, I have a squeezebox and I think the power supply has failed.

But its triggering the thought my amp is 30 years old, so i'd like an upgrade to a new one, to match my KEF Q300 speakers. I would like a usb drive input, and not bother using the squeezebox (and raspberry pi) anymore.

Is there just an amp, with a usb stick input (using a 500gb HDD) with an inbuilt equaliser (necessary for my ageing ears) to plug into my speakers that sound good (to me) that you can suggest please. ? I don't like boomy bass, but like to hear it, and instruments along with nice clear (but not too forward) singing, with a nice tone (tyo me). I love my Beyerdynamic DT771 Pro headphones and also like my PreSonus Eris E3.5 BT speakers plugged into my desktop, although obviously these are limited. Both the headphones and PC speakers are classed as "studio" speakers.

Auditioning is next to impossible unfortunately, all the dealers with the exception of Richer Sounds, have disappeared.

I've also got fading old ears, and a hearing aid, hence the equaliser which would help, a built in one on the amp would do.

My old amp is a Rotel RA 930bx. Price of 500-600 is fine but I'd do more for the right one.

I don't think there any amplifier sold today with a built in equalizer. Is unfortunate.

I can only think of the Outlaw Audio RR2160 as an easy to use amplifier and one that will work well with your KEF's.
Outlaw Audio

The Outlaw can take a USB input and most of the controls are available via simple knobs on the front panel. You don't need to dig into electronic menus to get to them.

While the amplifier does not have an inbuilt equalizer, it does have a speaker level equalizer which allows you to boost specific frequencies, such as enhancing bass. Useful for speakers that are not great on bass or bottom end of the frequency spectrum.

If an equalizer is a must, you can run the Outlaw amp alongside a Schiit Audio Lokius
Schiit Audio

I recommend trying the Outlaw Audio by itself before adding a equalizer. As far as integrated amplifiers go, I've yet to come across anything as good as this Outlaw

I don't think there any amplifier sold today with a built in equalizer. Is unfortunate.

I can only think of the Outlaw Audio RR2160 as an easy to use amplifier and one that will work well with your KEF's.
Outlaw Audio

The Outlaw can take a USB input and most of the controls are available via simple knobs on the front panel. You don't need to dig into electronic menus to get to them.

While the amplifier does not have an inbuilt equalizer, it does have a speaker level equalizer which allows you to boost specific frequencies, such as enhancing bass. Useful for speakers that are not great on bass or bottom end of the frequency spectrum.

If an equalizer is a must, you can run the Outlaw amp alongside a Schiit Audio Lokius
Schiit Audio

I recommend trying the Outlaw Audio by itself before adding a equalizer. As far as integrated amplifiers go, I've yet to come across anything as good as this Outlaw
Thank you, this amp doesn't seem to be in the UK, but the EQ isn't essential, I have one already if I have to use it. I'd try any other new amp. Its just because my ears aren't what they were and I wear a hearing aid.

Outlaw Audio

Schiit Audio

Outlaw Amplooks beautiful. Price is tempting too. Are the evailable in India? Any word on their performance?

Price is tempting too. Are the evailable in India? Any word on their performance?
Not sold in India.
Outlaw will ship International on a case by case basis. That cost will be over the retail price of the product.
This is a review of the first generation of the same amplifier.
RR2160

Hi NE5. Since you are in United Kingdom, you may consider one of the fine British amps like Niam, Roksan or Cyrus. However as these do not have tone controls, an external equaliser may be added. However my personal favourite for sound is a Marantz 6006 or 6007 integrated amp with tone controls. This, as also other lower cost amps, are available at Richer Sounds. Do try them out with your speakers.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back