New CD Player

sidvee

Gentle Members:
I am considering a new digital source. Some of my short listed sources as of now are:
1. Bryston BCD1
2. Belcanto CD2 as a transport w/ MF XDAC V8
3. Ayre CX7emp
4. Rega Saturn

What would your opinions be and other options is similar price range - approx US$2.5k.
Thx.
Sid

Sameer - would that fall in the $2.5k range though? I though these were selling more in the $4k range.
Cheers
Sid

The Ayre- definitely my choice for its smoothness/details . it is supposedly very neutral.

Gentle Members:
I am considering a new digital source. Some of my short listed sources as of now are:
1. Bryston BCD1
2. Belcanto CD2 as a transport w/ MF XDAC V8
3. Ayre CX7emp
4. Rega Saturn

What would your opinions be and other options is similar price range - approx US$2.5k.
Thx.
Sid

Hi Sid
No clue on option 2.

From the remaining three I would go with the Bryston CDP.
Please hear the Arcam CD 37. Am sure its below your allocated budget.
Also hear the Simaudio 5.3 if its close to your budget. I heard it out of the box and it was painful but after 3 months I heard the same cdp and it sounded superb. Finally I didnt buy it cause I hate the looks (but thats personal) and I am hoping to land a deal on a cdp that I prefer and one IMO would compliment my set up more.
Have heard the Bryston and its very good. Flimsy tray mechanism and noisy abrupt motion but good detail (over the entire range) I believe the initial glitches are resolved and alls well.
Would u not like to try the smooth Japanese marantz CDPs ? I know I like the SA 11 S2 apart from the < average bass defination as it more than makes up elsewhere.
What would something like the Esoteric SA 50 retail in US? Could that fit the bill with the additional goodies(does not have the 'famed' mechanism though) it offers?
Rgds

Last edited:
Hi Sid
No clue on option 2.

From the remaining three I would go with the Bryston CDP.
Please hear the Arcam CD 37. Am sure its below your allocated budget.
Also hear the Simaudio 5.3 if its close to your budget. I heard it out of the box and it was painful but after 3 months I heard the same cdp and it sounded superb. Finally I didnt buy it cause I hate the looks (but thats personal) and I am hoping to land a deal on a cdp that I prefer and one IMO would compliment my set up more.
Have heard the Bryston and its very good. Flimsy tray mechanism and noisy abrupt motion but good detail (over the entire range) I believe the initial glitches are resolved and alls well.
Would u not like to try the smooth Japanese marantz CDPs ? I know I like the SA 11 S2 apart from the < average bass defination as it more than makes up elsewhere.
What would something like the Esoteric SA 50 retail in US? Could that fit the bill with the additional goodies(does not have the 'famed' mechanism though) it offers?
Rgds
Thanks Dinyaar for the various options - I believe the Esoteric SA50 retail is close to $4k (though I could be mistaken). I currently have a Marantz though it is 5-6 years old SA8260 but still going strong, and have heard the SA11S2 though I preferred the SA-7S1 which I heard in the same location but huge $$ difference, I think the Sa-7 was $6k. How is the SaKi pearl - it is about $3k and has great reviews? Regardless I have very few SACD's about 25 or so, so I just want a plain vanilla CD player. I am not opposed to the transport route either. The Bryston is definitely a good unit seems to me IMO it has the Bryston house sound. This is a strong contender. I hear you Arj - I am leaning towards the Ayre myself, my top 2 choices being the Bryston or the Ayre at the moment. I will spend some more time with the Belcanto before ruling it out. I also may consider Raysonic if I get to audition them.
Cheers
Sid

I see you have the Rega Apollo and Marantz SA8260. How would you describe the differences between these two ?

I feel that the Apollo has a warmer sound of the two. The marantz scores in low frequency extension and overall resolution. Both sound different and partnering equipment will matter, but I use the Marantz mainly for the few SACD's that I have where it is awesome. I use the Apollo mainly for Cd playback though now I seem to favor my Ipod and Wadia 170i into my MF xdacv8 more.
Cheers,
Sid

Sidvee, why don't you consider a hard disk based system with a good DAC? More and more, at the price points you are talking about a good DAC plus FLAC/WAV files are beating CD Players hollow.

Cheers

Hi Sidvee

A few more options to consider

Stello CDA 500
Opera Audio Consonance Reference Linear 2.2
Fonel

If you are going hard disk route consider the RWA Isabellina DAC. I have heard this combo and it is very nice.

Sidvee, why don't you consider a hard disk based system with a good DAC? More and more, at the price points you are talking about a good DAC plus FLAC/WAV files are beating CD Players hollow.

Cheers

Actually Venkat - the other option I was thinking about was the new Olive HD player - approx. $2k. I am going to audition that as well.
Cheers
Sid

Oops sorry, I just noticed you have one of the best DACs in the world. A HD based player makes tremendous sense for you.

Cheers

Oops sorry, I just noticed you have one of the best DACs in the world. A HD based player makes tremendous sense for you.

Cheers

Venkat
Are you referring to the Benchmark? Yes it is a good DAC but my personal preference is the Musical Fidelity xdacv8. In fact I am getting rid of my benchmark, nothing against it, but I have one too many DAC's. I also have the musical fidelity (as u can tell I like MF DACS:lol:) XDACv3 with the XPSU and the X10 tube buffer. Combined they beat the xdacv8 and the benchmark imo and are probably again imo the best DAC solution under $5k. I am also looking into getting a belcanto DAC3.
Regardless I am looking into a good HD player will audition a few.
Cheers,
Sid

After an audition period that lasted approx. 2 mos and units reviewed on 2 continents :lol: from Rega, Ayon, Bryston, Ayre, Marantz and familiarity with Belcanto house sound I think I have made up my mind that the best sound/ VFM out there in the current crop of CD players (IMO only) is the Ayon CD1s or maybe the 07(not heard that one yet). So I am going to pull the trigger on either one of those soon. Runner up IMO is the Ayre 7 series players, but Ayon won out because of features (digital in, vol. control etc). I wanted to audition Raysonic but maybe next time. I will still continue to pursue HD based sources as well, becoz again IMO, methinks the CD player's days are numbered.

Thanks all for the suggestions - I am sure each one of those will make a superb source.
Cheers
Sid

Are you referring to the Benchmark? Yes it is a good DAC but my personal preference is the Musical Fidelity xdacv8.

This is a real irony for Benchmark. Spec wise it is literally impossible to beat them. Their Ultralock system is supposed to completely remove jitter. I have read many reviewers literally wringing their hands as to how a product could be so good - spec wise. When I listened to the DAC1 at Audire about a year ago, I was blown away by the openness and clarity that I heard. In my mind, the DAC1 is the DAC to have and I am waiting to have enough money to do that.

Unfortunately I have heard and read many people not liking the DAC at all. I wonder what puts them off? The lack of warmth, maybe? Too open and too transparent, maybe?

Cheers

I will still continue to pursue HD based sources as well, becoz again IMO, methinks the CD player's days are numbered.

According to John Siau, of Benchmark Media, 'DVD audio has died, and the CD is terminally ill. The last survivor will be the LP. Virtually all music purchases will be electronic in the very near future. The days of the corner record store are probably over.'

May the DVD rest in peace.

Cheers

Unfortunately I have heard and read many people not liking the DAC at all. I wonder what puts them off? The lack of warmth, maybe? Too open and too transparent, maybe?

Cheers

Venkat you nailed it - I feel it sounds too clinical - especially in comparision to my MF dacs of which I have had/or have 4 - The A324, the xdacv3, v8 and the trivista dac. I also preferred the belcanto dac3 over it but i think it is similar to a MSB digital link iii and a monarchy audio dac which I used to have.
Cheers
Sid

This is a real irony for Benchmark. Spec wise it is literally impossible to beat them. Their Ultralock system is supposed to completely remove jitter. I have read many reviewers literally wringing their hands as to how a product could be so good - spec wise. When I listened to the DAC1 at Audire about a year ago, I was blown away by the openness and clarity that I heard. In my mind, the DAC1 is the DAC to have and I am waiting to have enough money to do that.

Cheers

It is a cold DAC. It is the opposite of a DAC which can sound analogue but still have all the detail intact. It is not too open or too transparent.

A very open and transparent DAC will sound analogue. Just like how natural sound is supposed to be.

I like the reimyo which is a good balance.

Spec on its own does not guarantee anything.

Cheers

venkat, my take is that it is a true Pro Audio Dac.
i personally found it lacks the Lushness with voices that makes vocals apealing but does everything else right (i wonder how it would sound with an SET) ...most reviews call it thin and neutral. I suppose thay all mean the same thing !

venkat, my take is that it is a true Pro Audio Dac.
i personally found it lacks the Lushness with voices that makes vocals apealing but does everything else right (i wonder how it would sound with an SET) ...most reviews call it thin and neutral. I suppose thay all mean the same thing !

Maybe if a tube setup sounds thick it might work - the synergy?

Regards

Back