New DIY effort - Tannoy Monitor Golds in Arden cabinets

Could you share the outdoors 1 meter/2.83V response,THD etc measurements? Or close mic in room?

Might be interesting to see how the response looks. Certain traits can be assumed but seeing the actual response would be illuminating.

I don't have the time and means to do these measurements. Plenty of data is available on Tannoy forum.

Cheers.

Having followed Rajiv's and Anil's path into Altecs after sitting on the fence for many years, I am sorely tempted. I have a few other things on my table, an SET build using 45 tubes, a vintage amp restoration project and some other smaller things to be completed though before I start to look for some of these vintage beauties.

I understand that many Akashvani stations have plenty of very good vintage treasures-speakers, turntables, spool tape recorders and the like, many of which are now very little used, so if anyone has any connections shake that tree and see what falls! I may go down that path myself.

Anil, a quick question, are the golds sensitive speakers or need high power amps for driving them? I use low-power amps (3020 & 7020) hence the question. Pardon my ignorance about Tannoy, have no experience with them.

Anil, a quick question, are the golds sensitive speakers or need high power amps for driving them? I use low-power amps (3020 & 7020) hence the question. Pardon my ignorance about Tannoy, have no experience with them.

The Golds are not as sensitive as the Altecs and have 94dB or thereabouts as their 1W/1metre sensitivity. That is nearly 6dB lower than Altec 515s LFs and further lower than 288 HFs. These need atleast 25W and upwards amp powering them.

Cheers

one has to be aware and willing to pick them up whenever they come onto the market place-sometimes just before they get melted down as scrap.
Unlike you, Rajiv, Anilva and some others, I don't have any network. :sad: Mine was a chance discovery.

I just found a old crossover pair, which I recapped and refurbished. Don't have any sources. The crossovers are available on eBay though.
I'm aware about the E-Bay stuff but am wary of venturing because of bitter experiences in the past. Prefer dealing with known sources who can be trusted with closed eyes.

Rajesh

The truth with all such vintage equipment is that they come with risks attached-locating vintage equipment in pristine condition, after the passage of 50-70 years is all but impossible. One has no idea about their provenance/usage/misuse and one has to be ready to do all that needs to be done to restore them.

Remagnetizing of old alnico magnets is an example. The same holds good for capacitors in old crossovers, for example. Of course, sometimes one might get lucky and get gear that requires minimal restoration. Many of these brands have internet discussion groups, where many knowledgeable enthusiasts provide useful inputs-Altecs are an example.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back