New forum member, re-lapsed audiophile!

Kartik22

Hello, just wanted to introduce myself

I have always loved music (and I'm a classical guitarist) -- I got into high-end about 20 years ago shortly after I graduated college and began working with the US. After spending months trawling around various hi-fi stores in NYC, I ended up with a Naim Nait 5i + B&W 804S system, that over a decade grew into Naim CDX2/NAC 202/Hicap/Nap250 into the same B&Ws.

Then, life intervened -- moved around for work / graduate school, got married, etc etc... in the process I sold my CD player (since the end CD replay seemed near for me), sold my hard-to-move speakers, and boxed up all my amps. I have since lived with a variety of small in-ear headphone systems, and a surprisingly decent first gen Naim Muso.

I am now finally in a position to resurrect the big system -- I have gotten all my electronics checked/serviced (and managed to upgrade the 202 pre-amp into a pre-loved 282 pre), and also got a great deal on a pair of NOS Canton Reference 3 speakers

Listening to the speakers with a not-so-nice Musical Fidelity loaner amp right now since I'm still waiting for some missing Naim-specific interconnects to get my own amps set up right now -- but hopefully they will be here next week. Very, very excited to have them back up and running after almost ten years!

The plan is to live with all of this for a while and let is settle in, and then sort out my source. Right now just bought a Bluesound Node 2i, and while the streaming platform is decent, don't think the DAC section is going to work for me (though I want to wait till my own amps settle in first).

Look forward to participating in the forum, and hopefully in the near future finding a nice DAC for myself!

Cheers,
Kartik.

PS -- if anybody know where I can get my hands on a pre-owned Naim DAC (now discontinued), I'd be very interested! Otherwise quite tempted to buy one from overseas once travel starts again

Welcome back !
Are you really deadset on a Naim DAC ? these days there are far better options on the DAC side and value per $$ much higher in some of the newer stuff.
Further more, anything goes wrong and you need to send it to Naim UK for repair.

I have always loved music (and I'm a classical guitarist) -- I got into high-end about 20 years ago shortly after I graduated college and began working with the US. After spending months trawling around various hi-fi stores in NYC, I ended up with a Naim Nait 5i + B&W 804S system, that over a decade grew into Naim CDX2/NAC 202/Hicap/Nap250 into the same B&Ws.

Then, life intervened -- moved around for work / graduate school, got married, etc etc... in the process I sold my CD player (since the end CD replay seemed near for me), sold my hard-to-move speakers, and boxed up all my amps. I have since lived with a variety of small in-ear headphone systems, and a surprisingly decent first gen Naim Muso.

I am now finally in a position to resurrect the big system -- I have gotten all my electronics checked/serviced (and managed to upgrade the 202 pre-amp into a pre-loved 282 pre), and also got a great deal on a pair of NOS Canton Reference 3 speakers

Listening to the speakers with a not-so-nice Musical Fidelity loaner amp right now since I'm still waiting for some missing Naim-specific interconnects to get my own amps set up right now -- but hopefully they will be here next week. Very, very excited to have them back up and running after almost ten years!

The plan is to live with all of this for a while and let is settle in, and then sort out my source. Right now just bought a Bluesound Node 2i, and while the streaming platform is decent, don't think the DAC section is going to work for me (though I want to wait till my own amps settle in first).

Look forward to participating in the forum, and hopefully in the near future finding a nice DAC for myself!

Cheers,
Kartik.

PS -- if anybody know where I can get my hands on a pre-owned Naim DAC (now discontinued), I'd be very interested! Otherwise quite tempted to buy one from overseas once travel starts again
try any nos or r2r dacs like metrum and denafrips

Cheers,
Kartik.

Welcome aboard. I used to play the (Western) classical guitar too - now learning the violin. Do you still play?

Hi guys, thanks for the welcome and replies

@skroderider -- I stopped playing seriously after college, and then completely for a few years after that. But have gotten back into it in the last 4-5 years after a childhood friend (we learnt to play the guitar together as kids, and he is a much much better musician than me) gave me a basic electric to get me going again. Led me to resurrecting my old classical, and I noodle around on it almost every day (some western classical, but now mostly fingerpicking western rock/pop). It's great fun!

The violin is a lovely instrument -- hope you're enjoying the new challenge! Is it hard to play something fretless, coming from a guitar?

@arj and @naks -- thanks for the suggestions!

I'm def not wedded to anything, happy to listen to whatever I can in India, and settle for what works for me. However:

i) whenever in the past I have explored DACs in the context of my system (Benchmark DAC3 and Chord Hugo), I have always preferred the sound signature of the Naim digital sources on hand (at various times, a Naim CD5x and a Naim CDX2) -- something about their stereotypical "PRaT" has always clicked for me, and while those other two were more resolving, imaged better, etc, could never connect emotionally for me
ii) I still have an old third-party power supply from Teddy Pardo (equivalent of a Naim XPS power supply) designed provide upgraded power to Naim digital sources + a high-end Naim-specific source-to-pre interconnect -- so would be nice to able to put those to some good use
iii) And finally -- it'd be nice to have all my electronics look nice and matching! ;-)

Having said all that, Denafrips and Schitt are on the top my list to try out based on what I have read (not sure I get on with the Chord sound sig -- too sterile). For sure the game has moved on since I last heard various DACs, and many more worth trying now. Any other suggestions would be welcome too!

But at the end of the day, if I ever do find a used one in India / when I travel, I will always be tempted to at least give a pre-loved Naim DAC a shot also ;-)

Last edited:
I stopped playing seriously after college, and then completely for a few years after that. But have gotten back into it in the last 4-5 years after a childhood friend (we learnt to play the guitar together as kids, and he is a much much better musician than me) gave me a basic electric to get me going again. Led me to resurrecting my old classical, and I noodle around on it almost every day (some western classical, but now mostly fingerpicking western rock/pop). It's great fun!
@Kartik22 I kind of went down a similar path years ago - played in college, stopped, picked up classical, made it through a few Trinity grade exams - and then stopped because I could not find a teacher who could map out an advanced roadmap for me. Fingerpicking (and the nail maintenance) is so much fun. Maybe again, someday. Having a jam buddy especially somebody who is better definitely helps. Hope you keep at it.
The violin is a lovely instrument -- hope you're enjoying the new challenge! Is it hard to play something fretless, coming from a guitar?
It is such a "complete" instrument. It takes a while to get used to no frets especially in the higher positions. Forget frets, holding it in place correctly takes months. But I am enjoying the journey.

@Kartik22

I'm def not wedded to anything, happy to listen to whatever I can in India, and settle for what works for me. However:

i) whenever in the past I have explored DACs in the context of my system (Benchmark DAC3 and Chord Hugo), I have always preferred the sound signature of the Naim digital sources on hand (at various times, a Naim CD5x and a Naim CDX2) -- something about their stereotypical "PRaT" has always clicked for me, and while those other two were more resolving, imaged better, etc, could never connect emotionally for me
ii) I still have an old third-party power supply from Teddy Pardo (equivalent of a Naim XPS power supply) designed provide upgraded power to Naim digital sources + a high-end Naim-specific source-to-pre interconnect -- so would be nice to able to put those to some good use
iii) And finally -- it'd be nice to have all my electronics look nice and matching! ;-)
I do get your thinking and if it hits a spot that's the best option .
I am not aware of how to get Naim components here although I remember some having come up for sale here, but if not your best bet is your Travel option to UK

Having said all that, Denafrips and Schitt are on the top my list to try out based on what I have read (not sure I get on with the Chord sound sig -- too sterile). For sure the game has moved on since I last heard various DACs, and many more worth trying now. Any other suggestions would be welcome too!
I am using Denafrips areas II with Naim Nait 5si, I really love it.
Give it a try, if possible take home demo.

Cheers,
Kartik.

Hi,

Welcome to HFV!

I am sure you will find yourself enriched with the vast experience and knowledge shared by our FMs (Forum Members) in various threads and topics. Do browse the threads which will have ready information for the queries / challenges you may have around Audio / Video equipment etc.

Happy Browsing and wishing you all the best!

Hi,

Welcome to HFV!

I am sure you will find yourself enriched with the vast experience and knowledge shared by our FMs (Forum Members) in various threads and topics. Do browse the threads which will have ready information for the queries / challenges you may have around Audio / Video equipment etc.

Happy Browsing and wishing you all the best!
I have a Naim (hdx, nap 250, external power supply etc) and B&W 802d set up and would be happy to discuss as you explore options for your set up. I live in India

I used to own a naim streamer / dac called the NDS. Naim has since stopped pursuing the dac area of the market. I know where you are coming from. As long as you stay away from analytical sounding dacs, you should be good. There are many dacs out there that use some of the older chips especially the burr brown ones that Naim had in their gear. Try a dac from Monarchy audio. I think they use the same burr brown chip. The Monarchy dacs are held in very high esteem in insider circles. You can also try some NOS dacs and maybe some R2R dacs too. All these will take you in a similar direction. Audionote 0.1x uses the Philips TDA1543 .. You will not go wrong there too.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back