New SET amp build on the anvil,and other matters

GeorgeO

Folks

I've decided to build a SET amp using type 45 vacuum tubes. I listened to the Lyrita Audio SET amp and liked the sound, so will use it mated to my high sensitivity speakers-either Altec or Arias. I've got 6123 output trannies from James Audio and will hopefully build the Wavelength Bugle( a search on the web will give you more info). I am in the process of getting the iron in hand, have the 45 and other tubes(5751 and GZ34) in hand or arranging to get them. Getting the resistors, capacitors and hardware from the US is a bit time consuming. I'm hoping to have the whole project completed in 6 months.

In the meantime I've been enjoying my solid state Hiraga Le Monstre Class A amp and also have resurrected my Welborne Labs V.70 which uses high quality Magnequest output transformers. Its an EL 34 pp amp, similar to the Dyanaco ST 70, but using some variations( It uses design maestro Alan Kimmel's "mu stage" philosophy) The Welborne Labs amp was not well assembled initially,and malfunctioned for a long time. I got Philip Isaac of Lizzner Electronics to recheck and every connection and I'm glad to say it's now running as it should have been.

I've got a couple of other things also in various stages of completion, will update when I have some progress to report.

Welcome to the SET club, George.

You have so many amps, how do you decide which one to hook upto?:)

Prem

They come and go.
My older son was down for Christmas, he liked my Anthem PP so we rewired the primaries to 110V and he took it off to the US! I have now decided that all my builds will have dual primaries..

Cheers

Along with George myself and FM ragu are going with Jelabs 45/2A3 build :) Hope to have shoot out on completion.;)

Sh aks07's comment is probably what his wife would have made a few years ago when he needed to get his head examined! He is merely echoing her comment. Bhaisahib you sit quietly in Jamshedpur in the cold, peacefully sipping what the faujis and real men drink-DARK RUM.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back