New speakers or new speaker/receiver combo

mdbrown

Hello everyone, I am in the US and have been a passive reader here. Wonderful forum and major knowledge here. Now I am in need of some recommendations if I may. My current setup:

Denon AVR-588
Yamaha NS-AP3500 speakers
Phillips 50-watt powered sub
Panasonic 50" Plasma TV
Samsung BD-P1600 Blu-Ray player

My room is approx. 250 square feet. My question now is this, given only the options below I'd like some input on best upgrade.

I can go with a new Onkyo TX-SR607 or Denon AVR-1610 and gain lossless dolby HD and DTS-HD decoding and pair it up with either the Klipsch HD theater 300 or Polk RM-705 speaker system.

Alternately I can choose to stay with my current receiver and pair it up with either a Klipsch HD theater 1000 system or Klipsch Quintet III and a Klipsch 10" powered sub or Polk PSW10 sub. I gain better speakers here but lose out on dolby HD/DTS-HD.

So which way would you folks lean and why??

Many Thanks,
Mike B.

I can go with a new Onkyo TX-SR607 or Denon AVR-1610 and gain lossless dolby HD and DTS-HD decoding and pair it up with either the Klipsch HD theater 300 or Polk RM-705 speaker system.

So which way would you folks lean and why??

Many Thanks,
Mike B.

Go for the new AV Amp, b'coz new HD sound formats are real good, thus worth an upgrade. Also try to wait for the latest HDMI 1.4 spec compatible receivers to come into market & then get the best out there based on reviews/suitability/compatibility etc

& avoid buying a 5.1 ch, get the 7.1 ch AV Amp, if possible, as there are a lot of bluray movies available in US with 7.1 HD sound formats. Here in india the bluray movies released mostly have 5.1 HD sound formats only.

Regards:)

Well, I opted for both. I went for the receiver and I upgraded my speakers. I already have the Onkyo installed, speakers will be a few more days yet. I know that their are better speakers but I opted for the Klipsch HD theater 500 system. Should be good to go at this point, am looking forward to installing the speakers and finishing the setup. The Onkyo was very easy to get going and get everything setup for inputs/outputs. Will see how effective the automated setup is.

Thanks for the info Mandeep, it was most helpful.

Cheers.

Well, I opted for both. I went for the receiver and I upgraded my speakers. I already have the Onkyo installed, speakers will be a few more days yet. I know that their are better speakers but I opted for the Klipsch HD theater 500 system. Should be good to go at this point, am looking forward to installing the speakers and finishing the setup. The Onkyo was very easy to get going and get everything setup for inputs/outputs. Will see how effective the automated setup is.

Thanks for the info Mandeep, it was most helpful.

Cheers.

Congrats:clapping:

How much did the new system cost you?

Sorry do not know the exchange rate. I purchased the receiver for $365 USD shipped and the speakers were $499 USD shipped. I know that wharfedales, tannoys, energys, and kefs are favorites here but most of those are harder to find here in the US and the Klipsch brand is better regarded here than overseas. I've almost exclusively used Infinity speakers in the past but have always liked the sound of Klipsch speakers.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back