New Study Redefines Human Sound Localization

Analogous

Summary: Researchers challenged a longstanding theory from the 1940s about how humans locate sounds, a discovery with profound implications for hearing technology. The study reveals that humans utilize a simpler, more energy-efficient neural network for spatial hearing, similar to other mammals like rhesus monkeys and gerbils.

This network not only locates sounds but also separates speech from background noise, addressing the ‘cocktail party problem’ faced by hearing devices and smartphones. These insights could revolutionize the design of hearing aids and digital assistants, making them more adaptable and efficient.

Good steer, thank you and thank your feed reader :). That'll make some noise (both ways), methinks. Above my pay grade, but sent it to Dr. Griesinger. There's about 9.5 megs of supplementary data that's semi-fascinating.

Good steer, thank you and thank your feed reader :). That'll make some noise (both ways), methinks. Above my pay grade, but sent it to Dr. Griesinger. There's about 9.5 megs of supplementary data that's semi-fascinating.
Sound localisation is a part of being able to appreciate a sound stage, separatiion and other characteristics that we appreciate or want to achieve in well set up audio playback systems.

Last edited:
Got his polite reply that basically ITD neurology isn't as hard or important as we convince ourselves (my condensed summary). If anybody has deeper interest in those matters of separating sounds, space, localization, distance, etc, they might seek-out his home page.

Got his polite reply that basically ITD neurology isn't as hard or important as we convince ourselves (my condensed summary). If anybody has deeper interest in those matters of separating sounds, space, localization, distance, etc, they might seek-out his home page.
This is good and complements the neurological findings in the research paper from a physics perspective.
The passive- aggressive tone? I don’t get it. @grindstone Did I offend you inadvertently? If so my apologies

Last edited:
Definitely not intended at all--the opposite, in-fact. Was trying to say he was being polite with me, not anyone else. Sorry for any confusion.

It's definitely a subject of interest and I've lost days on materials he has provided over time. All of it has changed how I listen and what I think (and what I read, too). Nothing but gratitude to you, @Analogous.

Thanks.
Back on topic: I was wondering about the findings of the Neuroscience paper that challenges the 80 year old theory of humans having a dedicated neural network for sound localisation and spatial (auditory) orientation. Like all other human faculties and capabilities this too is a product of a long evolutionary process.
From early location of dangerous predators (survival) to locating prey (survival) we have come a long way.
The lengths of time humans have used this facility for communicating would be significantly shorter and even more so for music listening.
But Listening to Spatial Audio on EarPods with transparent audio mode enabled while crossing a busy road ? We are regressing

Sound localisation is a part of being able to appreciate a sound stage, separatiion and other characteristics that we appreciate or want to achieve in well set up audio playback systems.
Was stereo imaging and soundstage something you were familiar with from the get go of starting this hobby or did you discover it much later?

But Listening to Spatial Audio on EarPods with transparent audio mode enabled while crossing a busy road ? We are regressing
Not At All - natural selection will ensure that the ones lacking "spatial awareness" will be run over 😂

Last edited:
Was stereo imaging and soundstage something you were familiar with from the get go of starting this hobby or did you discover it much later?
Definitely something I discovered/learnt about later.
Like gravity 😊

Last edited:
Not At All - natural selection will ensure that the ones lacking "spatial awareness" will be run over 😂
Darwin’s ghost is immersive, deep and…. What’s the other word we keep hearing from professional reviewers??

article said:
In the 1940s, an engineering model was developed to explain how humans can locate a sound source based on differences of just a few tens of millionths of a second in when the sound reaches each ear.
This (ITD) can be done only for sounds whose wavelengths are larger than the distance between ear canals (<1600 Hz for a typical human).
For higher frequencies, it is the minute subtle variations in the frequency response generated by minutely moving pinnae that helps the brain in pinpointing the source.

minutely moving pinnae
You mean cilia? (Pinna is the external- visible part of the ear)
I did not know wavelengths larger or smaller than distance between the auricle or tympanic membranes of the ears had any relationship to localisation. But in terms of frequency 1600hz should be audible . The range of human hearing is 20-20,000 hz

You mean cilia? (Pinna is the external- visible part of the ear)
I did not know wavelengths larger or smaller than distance between the auricle or tympanic membranes of the ears had any relationship to localisation. But in terms of frequency 1600hz should be audible . The range of human hearing is 20-20,000 hz
Pinnae. The external ear with its plethora of ridges and valleys.
These cause a signature interference pattern dependent on the source of sound in 3D space.
Hence even 1 mm movement in head/ear could be enough for brain to decode where is the sound originating from. Of course the higher the frequency the better this system works.

https://courses.washington.edu/psy333/lecture_pdfs/chapter12_SoundLocalization.pdf (Page 12)

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back