New to AV World , So Need New Set-Up

Perfect

Hi Everyone ,

Long time lurker , first time poster. Recently I have been looking for an AVR , with nice sound quality as well as set of speakers.

In the past , I was using a onkyo htib , I was literally blown away by what an AVR can do to the sound quality. It got kaput last year.

Mostly i would be using mostly for movies (movies : music :: 95 : 5)

Even though i can afford a atmos capable receiver , but i have few restrictions at the moment , in place ceiling as well the surround speakers (so mostly for the moment - short term , I would be only using the Fronts as well as the centre alone) - So , is it a good idea to invest in a atmos receiver at the moment , but i may be use it after some time. If its not a wise choice , can you pls suggest me some good avr with decent power.

With regards to speakers , I am biased towards Floor Standers. I have been looking at Taga Harmony 606 v3 (is thr a night/day difference between 606 SE and 606 v3 ) , Anyother FS are also welcome for the suggestion , provided its in the same budget as 606 v3 (probably around 30K max).I have also seen Taga 806 , Taga Platinum f-60 , Boston acoustics A 250 , Mission mx3

PS : I dont have active subwoofer at the moment (but i do have the speakers and passive subwoofer from my previous htib)

AVR budget : 30 - 40K
Speakers budget : 30 - 40
-I cant stretch my budget too much.
Thoughts : Better if its somewt future proof (kinda like atmos / dts : x)

-I would like to upgrade it step by step , (But I have fetish for Floorstanders :D)

-There is a possibility i can audition , since I live in Chennai (pls suggest me what to do audition / and where as well)

My room size : 16 x 12 approximately.

I know these kind of questions are asked repeatedly but when its for a personal decision , i would like to ask again.Thanks in advance.

Hi Everyone ,

Long time lurker , first time poster. Recently I have been looking for an AVR , with nice sound quality as well as set of speakers.

In the past , I was using a onkyo htib , I was literally blown away by what an AVR can do to the sound quality. It got kaput last year.

Mostly i would be using mostly for movies (movies : music :: 95 : 5)

Even though i can afford a atmos capable receiver , but i have few restrictions at the moment , in place ceiling as well the surround speakers (so mostly for the moment - short term , I would be only using the Fronts as well as the centre alone) - So , is it a good idea to invest in a atmos receiver at the moment , but i may be use it after some time. If its not a wise choice , can you pls suggest me some good avr with decent power.

With regards to speakers , I am biased towards Floor Standers. I have been looking at Taga Harmony 606 v3 (is thr a night/day difference between 606 SE and 606 v3 ) , Anyother FS are also welcome for the suggestion , provided its in the same budget as 606 v3 (probably around 30K max).I have also seen Taga 806 , Taga Platinum f-60 , Boston acoustics A 250 , Mission mx3

PS : I dont have active subwoofer at the moment (but i do have the speakers and passive subwoofer from my previous htib)

-I would like to upgrade it step by step , (But I have fetish for Floorstanders :D)

-There is a possibility i can audition , since I live in Chennai (pls suggest me what to do audition / and where as well)

My room size : 16 x 12 approximately.

I know these kind of questions are asked repeatedly but when its for a personal decision , i would like to ask again.Thanks in advance.

You can also check wharfedale 230 FS, its been serving me well, as for AVR denon 530/540 BT or Marantz NR1508/1608 can be looked at.

Assuming your total budget is 80K max, consider Pioneer LX 303, a 9.2 Atmos / Dts X capable AVR.. Around 60K on hifimart.. For the renaming 20K, get a Taga Harmony TAV 5.0 speaker package that come with floor stander..

(but i do have the speakers and passive subwoofer from my previous htib)

You can re-use 2 pairs of speakers from Onkyo as 4 heights in your room, there by completing a 5.0.4 set-up.. Add subwoofer later..

If you take this route, you would get multiple benefits IMO.. A 9.2 AVR, Floor standers and a 5.0.4 (or) 7.0.2 speaker layout depending on your room..

IMO, better to skip the audition.. Pick the AVR & speakers online and put it together..

Hello,

I don't think you will find a new AVR with Atmos in your budget. The cheapest that I found was marantz 1608 @ 49k on hifimart or denon X1400 (around 45k)

I am not sure any new mid range support passive sub (all have preouts for active sub) so better go for Taga 606 package.

@manav24 : I intend to use mainly for movies , isn't Marantz inclined towards music? How good are the wharfedales 230 when compared to Taga or any other FS in same range

@tusharshukla1991 : Isn't x1400 a decent option ?

@elangoas : May I know , why you want to allocate more budget for AVR , rather than a decent balanced setup? I thought denon x1400 + Taga 606 would be decent combo. BTW , I don't have provision to setup ceiling or even surround speakers at the moment. In that case how wise is it to invest in 9.2 now ?

Most of your suggestions usually will be on budget friendly side : D , is spending 60k on AVR rather 40k worth it ??

I have these in mind at the moment :
1.Pioneer 531 (similar avr in range) + taga 506 / 606
2.This is the mid tier for me where people say to buy a decent receiver with decent power (bcoz it might be difficult to power up the speakers ) + Taga 506 / 606 or Wharfedale 230
3.Denon x1400 + Taga 506/606 or as u mentioned Pioneer 303 + Taga tav (I m a little skeptical abt this combination , as I don't want to spend too much in AVR Alone.

Denon X1400 is good, but not under your budget of 30-40k :p

I would avoid pioneer 531 as it has 5 channel out only and min atmos config is 5.1.2, I don't understand what 3.1.2 means.

There is a deal on hifimart Denon x540bt+ wharfedale 5.1 package for 70k (no atmos)

@elangoas : May I know , why you want to allocate more budget for AVR , rather than a decent balanced setup?

Because you can have a 9.2 capable AVR out of the box, and re-use the 4 (or) 5 Onkyo HTIB speakers that you have with you as heights to your advantage..

I thought denon x1400 + Taga 606 would be decent combo.

Yes it is.. But LX 303 + Taga 5.0 speaker package + re-use your HTIB speakers, is even better.. As said earlier, a 5.0.4 (or) 7.0.2 set-up is very much possible.. All you need to add is a subwoofer later..

BTW , I don't have provision to setup ceiling or even surround speakers at the moment. In that case how wise is it to invest in 9.2 now ?

What is the challenge in your room for mounting surround speaker? There could be a possible alternative to any situation.. Could you share a pictures of your room, where you were saying can't mount surrounds?..

If your HTIB speakers have mount thread hole, you can get MX ceiling brackets For Rs 250 each and mount all 4 speakers to ceiling..

If your HTIB speakers don't have mount thread hole, you can add it as front heights & rear heights to LX 303 to take advantage of movies in Atmos / Dts X..

Investing on an affordable 9.2 AVR is good IMO, you wouldn't have to upgrade for Atmos anytime and gives you the flexibility of different sepakers layout, with limitations to your room..

Most of your suggestions usually will be on budget friendly side : D , is spending 60k on AVR rather 40k worth it ??

Yes.. Without a doubt, IMO..

Without exceeding your total budget of 80K, you may re-consider 9.2 AVR for larger benefit of Atmos / Dts X in 9 channel playback.. Choice is yours..

@manav24 : I intend to use mainly for movies , isn't Marantz inclined towards music? How good are the wharfedales 230 when compared to Taga or any other FS in same range

Marantz is said to be more musical but I don't think you can actually figure out the difference about being musical or for movies and trust me I have heard both Denon and Marantz, it is good price wise and tech wise with almost all latest modes, also it gets updates very often ( same with the denon), also there is a promotion for Marantz receiver going on Hifimart, so it might suits you. Wharefdale are really good for that price point, I have owned wharfedale 225 since over a year and 230 since about 3 months, no complaints.

Hi Perfect,
Can you provide the Onkyo HTIB model no...
I will suggest:-
Buy a Atmos/DTSX 7.2 AVR (9.2 will be better) and a SUB under 25 to 30K. Use Onkyo speakers for now with it. This way your setup will be completed. Upgrade Onkyo speakers later step by step. As you are more into Movies Atmos and Sub is a must.

Marantz is said to be more musical but I don't think you can actually figure out the difference about being musical or for movies and trust me I have heard both Denon and Marantz, it is good price wise and tech wise with almost all latest modes, also it gets updates very often ( same with the denon), also there is a promotion for Marantz receiver going on Hifimart, so it might suits you. Wharefdale are really good for that price point, I have owned wharfedale 225 since over a year and 230 since about 3 months, no complaints.

Every time i saw the statement Marantz AVR are said to be musical...I used to wonder what is so musical about an AVR. But then i had a chance to compare the Pioneer VSX 932 and the Marantz NR 1608 on same setup. While i couldn't find any difference when it was playing movies, there was huge step up in quality when i played simple stereo music. Somehow the Pio did a mess of whatever little sound it managed to pump out! Whereas the Marantz was quite nice and clear...i was defnitely taken by surprise. Superior Sonics is always a good trait to have be it music or movies!

However pls don't get confuse it, by comparing this with any stereo Amp / receiver. There is absolute no comparison between them and any half decent ST amp can blow most AVR's out of water when it comes to music

Every time i saw the statement Marantz AVR are said to be musical...I used to wonder what is so musical about an AVR. But then i had a chance to compare the Pioneer VSX 932 and the Marantz NR 1608 on same setup. While i couldn't find any difference when it was playing movies, there was huge step up in quality when i played simple stereo music. Somehow the Pio did a mess of whatever little sound it managed to pump out! Whereas the Marantz was quite nice and clear...i was defnitely taken by surprise. Superior Sonics is always a good trait to have be it music or movies!

However pls don't get confuse it, by comparing this with any stereo Amp / receiver. There is absolute no comparison between them and any half decent ST amp can blow most AVR's out of water when it comes to music

exactly, by saying Marantz is more musical does not means it is bad for movies, it may be on par with any other receiver when it comes for movies but for music it is better than Pioneer/yamaha/denon. Stereo Amps are different league so cannot be even compared.

Because you can have a 9.2 capable AVR out of the box, and re-use the 4 (or) 5 Onkyo HTIB speakers that you have with you as heights to your advantage..

Yes it is.. But LX 303 + Taga 5.0 speaker package + re-use your HTIB speakers, is even better.. As said earlier, a 5.0.4 (or) 7.0.2 set-up is very much possible.. All you need to add is a subwoofer later..

What is the challenge in your room for mounting surround speaker? There could be a possible alternative to any situation.. Could you share a pictures of your room, where you were saying can't mount surrounds?..

If your HTIB speakers have mount thread hole, you can get MX ceiling brackets For Rs 250 each and mount all 4 speakers to ceiling..

If your HTIB speakers don't have mount thread hole, you can add it as front heights & rear heights to LX 303 to take advantage of movies in Atmos / Dts X..

Investing on an affordable 9.2 AVR is good IMO, you wouldn't have to upgrade for Atmos anytime and gives you the flexibility of different sepakers layout, with limitations to your room..

Yes.. Without a doubt, IMO..

Without exceeding your total budget of 80K, you may re-consider 9.2 AVR for larger benefit of Atmos / Dts X in 9 channel playback.. Choice is yours..
Where can I get MX ceiling brackets online. I cannot find them online

Where can I get MX ceiling brackets online. I cannot find them online

It was on ebay.in for a long time.. Now that ebay.in is officially shutdown, i can't seem to locate it on amazon.in.. Try an electronic store / MX store (or) where they have video monitoring equipment..

It was on ebay.in for a long time.. Now that ebay.in is officially shutdown, i can't seem to locate it on amazon.in.. Try an electronic store / MX store (or) where they have video monitoring equipment..
Ya I also saw that on ebay, but could not find it now on any online site
I will check some local stores
thanks

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back