New to HiFiV-Help me to buy a decent 5.1 home theater

RameshKN

Hi
I am a newbie in this forum. Have seen many members getting help in deciding the purchase. Hence thought of posting it here. I am looking for a 5.1 system. Currently having a very old Sony DAV DZ150K home theater. The viewing distance is about 10-12ft. Main requirement is movies(netflix, Prime) & music.
  1. Do I need to go for a active woofer or passive one is good enough.
  2. I believe bluetooth & USB is for music only & no video streaming
  3. Budget around 40-50k
Some of the options I have looked at are
Passive Sub : Yamaha 3072, Onkyo HT-S3800
Active Sub : Denon 250BT+TL1600, Yamaha 3072+TL1600.
One of the dealer suggested the Mission M3+SE speakers with Pioneer VSX330
Did not see any Indian reviews on the Mission M3 anywhere
Please suggest.
Any suggestions on outlets to audition in Bangalore

Hi
I am a newbie in this forum. Have seen many members getting help in deciding the purchase. Hence thought of posting it here. I am looking for a 5.1 system. Currently having a very old Sony DAV DZ150K home theater. The viewing distance is about 10-12ft. Main requirement is movies(netflix, Prime) & music.
  1. Do I need to go for a active woofer or passive one is good enough.
  2. I believe bluetooth & USB is for music only & no video streaming
  3. Budget around 40-50k
Some of the options I have looked at are
Passive Sub : Yamaha 3072, Onkyo HT-S3800
Active Sub : Denon 250BT+TL1600, Yamaha 3072+TL1600.
One of the dealer suggested the Mission M3+SE speakers with Pioneer VSX330
Did not see any Indian reviews on the Mission M3 anywhere
Please suggest.
Any suggestions on outlets to audition in Bangalore

Hi,

Welcome to HFV

You need to browse the threads under What Should I buy or Home Theatre to understand the different systems / brands being suggested or purchased......

Since you are based in Bengaluru there are a lot of HT dealers....so audition as much as possible with the same movie or music content......see who offers the best rate and discount....

1. Do I need to go for a active woofer or passive one is good enough. - Active would be better....so AVR with Subwoofer out required
  2. I believe bluetooth & USB is for music only & no video streaming - Correct....thats the only thing it does....
  3. Budget around 40-50k - You may need to increase to 70k or 80k to get a decent system

All the best!

Hi Ramesh,

For 40-50 k the best option would be the yamaha package yht 3072. It comes with an active subwoofer. Dont go for passive subwoofer as they only produce a muddy sound. I have used the yht 299 package for 3 years in my 10*12 room and it did a good job. Reliance digital will have yamaha for demo. A good center channel and subwoofer is very important but you will have to increase your budget. You can also check in the sales section in the forum. Do share your room dimensions so the FM's can guide you better

Do I need to go for a active woofer or passive one is good enough.

Active subwoofer are the way to build HT set-up.. But don't worry if you can't accomodate them with-in your budget now.. You can always add them at a later stage..

I believe bluetooth & USB is for music only & no video streaming

Yes right.. Pioneer AVR have chromecast built-in.. So if you don't have a chromreacst, getting a Pionner AVR would be handy as casting your screen is useful addition for home entertainment..

Budget around 40-50k

Assuming you have a maximum of 50K budget, get any 5.1 AVR which can handle HD audio codecs (DTS-HDMA / Dolby THD) in the budget of 30K..

For the remaining 20K budget, you may consider Taga Harmony TAV series 406 / 506 models for abt ~ 22K, either on amazon.in (or) hifimart.com..

@efernand,@love4sound,@elangoas thank you all for the valuable suggestions. I was shortlisting Yamaha YHT3072 package. I saw the Yamaha 1840 package also which comes with passive sub, but has the pre out option as well which can be used for active sub in future. Both of these within my budget,

Welfome to the forum. Stick to an active sub. Passive would not give you the desired results and also would be difficult to upgrade.

You could also look at the for sale section for some good deals. Another option would be build the system in steps. Get a receiver and front speakers with a sub. A few months later, when you feel ready you can add surrounds and center speakers.

MaSh

I picked up the HTiB Yamaha YHT 3072 finally. Had few challenges with the settings & surround not working properly. Finally figured it out & solved all issues. Trying with different movies to enjoy the 5.1 effect

I picked up the HTiB Yamaha YHT 3072 finally. Had few challenges with the settings & surround not working properly. Finally figured it out & solved all issues. Trying with different movies to enjoy the 5.1 effect
Nice enjoy. Make sure u do not use the speaker cables nd sub cable that came along with the package. Get a quality sub cable nd ofc speaker cables.

Nice enjoy. Make sure u do not use the speaker cables nd sub cable that came along with the package. Get a quality sub cable nd ofc speaker cables.
I am using the old cables which I was using with my Sony home theater. I saw that the cables which came with the yamaha 5.1 are very thin, hence preferred to stay with my earlier one

Hi.
Was wondering if you could share some inputs in terms of the speaker, input settings that you are currently using for the 3072. I feel that I’ve not calibrated my system properly (especially the sub output) and so curious to know how you were able to optimise via the settings. Thanks so much.

@efernand,@love4sound,@elangoas thank you all for the valuable suggestions. I was shortlisting Yamaha YHT3072 package. I saw the Yamaha 1840 package also which comes with passive sub, but has the pre out option as well which can be used for active sub in future. Both of these within my budget,

If you have budget restriction then I would say just buy in phases. Dont settle for a cheap home theatre package. Any 5.1 home theatre package under 50K won't give you that true home theatre experience.

To get atleast a quality HT experience you need to shell out 1-1.5 lakhs 40% of which spent on a AVR. Build a quality HT in parts and in overtime.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back